By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Well, Epic had the stutter problem in UE4. They didn't fix it. They developed a new engine that had the same exact problem, and they aren't fixing it. So yeah, if they aren't bothered to fix it for their own engine and games, I don't see why they'd want to fix it for everybody else.

And with John Riccitiello mergin Unity with that malware company and pissing off the devs because they don't see the world as him and don't want to moneitize their games, I doubt the Unity Engine will gain more market. So we'll be forced to deal with UE and its stutters, games using Unity that may or may not infect our systems with who knows what, or propietary engines, that are less and less common as games become more complex.

The future doesn't look very bright.

On another notice, it's a shame that the AMD cards will be that expensive, and it will be interesting to see how their Phoenix Point APUs perform, specially the on with "mixed" architectures... if the leak is real.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

^Godot is an engine that has been gaining popularity, and my understanding is that it's especially good in 2D games. On the other hand, it's probably not the greatest choice for 3D games, but it's definitely a promising engine. I'd say the future isn't looking too bad for smaller games. For larger games, well... There's probably a reason Unreal Engine is the big thing instead of something else, even with its flaws.

I may be wrong, but the Unreal Engine became so popular because it was "easy" to use, Epic provided a lot of tech support and, during the transition from SD to the HD era, the PC origins of the engine made it better prepared to deal with 720 and even 1080p resolutions.

Also, as of late, they've changed their revenue system to make it more attractive to publishers and small studios.

But well, Godot may be good, but I'm not usre how many 2D games were build with UE to begin with. Unity seemed to be the one with more chances to compete with Epic.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Well, Epic had the stutter problem in UE4. They didn't fix it. They developed a new engine that had the same exact problem, and they aren't fixing it. So yeah, if they aren't bothered to fix it for their own engine and games, I don't see why they'd want to fix it for everybody else.

And with John Riccitiello mergin Unity with that malware company and pissing off the devs because they don't see the world as him and don't want to moneitize their games, I doubt the Unity Engine will gain more market. So we'll be forced to deal with UE and its stutters, games using Unity that may or may not infect our systems with who knows what, or propietary engines, that are less and less common as games become more complex.

The future doesn't look very bright.

On another notice, it's a shame that the AMD cards will be that expensive, and it will be interesting to see how their Phoenix Point APUs perform, specially the on with "mixed" architectures... if the leak is real.

This is pretty much why I wasn't hyped and foaming from the mouth at the matrix UE5 demo, or the open worlds one, because I know damn well that Epic didn't fix the issues in UE4, and 5 looks to be repeating history again.

I know what's going to happen at some point, Epic is going to pull an MS and go "the devs need to be better at working with our tools, our tools are fine", instead of sorting it out from their end, making it more simple that a monkey could work with UE5.

If devs are using the engine, and all of them are getting stutters, maybe, just maybe Timmy, it's your fault (also pointing to you MS). 

Wish the engine world had more competition tbh, because an issue plaguing an engine 2 iterations in a row and it being one of the most used, is not good for gaming as a whole. Epic should be going for less exclusives (they only got one at TGA this yr, and it looks like a GTA clone), and focus on their engine more. 

Also they need to stop FUCKING WITH MY GAMES I BOUGHT FFS... I say this because the devs for Saints Row just updated SR IV with EoS, and well it's nuked ppls save files, mods and giving performance issues (as well as not being allowed in offline mode on Steam). Terms of services need to be updated ahead of time, not at the last second "oh we've added this crossplay you didn't ask for, breaking the game you paid for, not being able to play it offline, k thnx".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Returnal Steam Page is Up with PC requirements

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1649240/Returnal/

This is like the 4th or 5th game in the past month where we seen the recommended be around 2070 Super or 6700XT. RDNA 2 is aging like milk. Never buy Radeon at MSRP gents... Those that bought RDNA 2 at a big discount got a great deal though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

It probably has some form of ray tracing, and we know RDNA2 compares to Turing when it comes to that.

I'm more worried, so to speak, with the game asking for an SSD in the minimum req. and 32GB of RAM in the recommended ones. Consoles wish they had that much memory so, why is this game as king for that much?

JEMC said:

I may be wrong, but the Unreal Engine became so popular because it was "easy" to use, Epic provided a lot of tech support and, during the transition from SD to the HD era, the PC origins of the engine made it better prepared to deal with 720 and even 1080p resolutions.

Also, as of late, they've changed their revenue system to make it more attractive to publishers and small studios.

But well, Godot may be good, but I'm not usre how many 2D games were build with UE to begin with. Unity seemed to be the one with more chances to compete with Epic.

I'm not too familiar with Unreal Engine's history, although I suspect it has something to do with engine development becoming increasingly expensive, which in turn made devs turns to commercial engines instead of their own. For one reason or another, Unreal Engine fared really well there, and I suspect it has something to do with both its capabilities and, yes, its relative ease of use compared to the competition. I remember at least CryEngine having been considered a more difficult engine to use.

I mentioned Godot more as a potential alternative to Unity, since you didn't seem too fond of Unity either (and for good reason). There are probably relatively few devs using Unreal Engine for 2D games, whereas Unity is likely to be more popular for 2D games.

JEMC said:

It probably has some form of ray tracing, and we know RDNA2 compares to Turing when it comes to that.

I'm more worried, so to speak, with the game asking for an SSD in the minimum req. and 32GB of RAM in the recommended ones. Consoles wish they had that much memory so, why is this game as king for that much?

Nah, after looking into it further, Returnal uses Unreal Engine which is heavily Nvidia favored. The Callisto Protocol also had similar recommendations where we saw Ampere shredding RDNA 2 in Raster. As the new star wars game also has similar recommendations and thats a UE5 title, RDNA2 is likely going to continue to age poorly on pc.

And yea, 32gb does feel a lot. Hopefully the devs start implementing direct storage for gpus sooner than later.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 10 December 2022

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Oh what, Returnal has a Steam page already?

Edit: Wishlisted.

Intel Core i5-13400 is up to 29% faster than i5-12400 in first retail CPU test

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i5-13400-is-up-to-29-faster-than-i5-12400-in-first-retail-cpu-test