By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

4090 TUF vs 3090 TUF

You know, I know people have been talking about needing to replace PSUs and such but these cards are getting large enough to the point where... You may actually need to replace your cases lol. Some of the lengths of the GPUs I have seen is longer than the GPU clearance room of a lot of mid-tower cases out there.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

You're not wrong. That thing is a monster!

No wonder that mini-itx mobo looked so small against it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:

4090 TUF vs 3090 TUF

You know, I know people have been talking about needing to replace PSUs and such but these cards are getting large enough to the point where... You may actually need to replace your cases lol. Some of the lengths of the GPUs I have seen is longer than the GPU clearance room of a lot of mid-tower cases out there.

Those poor Motherboards and especially the PCIe slots. I wonder if those won't get damaged after a while by the sustained weight load pulling down on them.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

4090 TUF vs 3090 TUF

Those poor Motherboards and especially the PCIe slots. I wonder if those won't get damaged after a while by the sustained weight load pulling down on them.

I think all of the large GPUs come with those GPU brackets. Anyone that chooses not to install them might be in for some trouble lol

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mindfactory sold roughly twice as many Ryzen 7000 chips at launch than Alder Lake chips at it's launch

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-7000-cpus-sold-roughly-2x-as-intels-12th-gen-alder-lake-at-launch-in-germany-mindfactory/

Captain_Yuri said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I think all of the large GPUs come with those GPU brackets. Anyone that chooses not to install them might be in for some trouble lol

Not sure if those brackets will suffice, that thing looks thicc af.

At this rate, hardware testers will look totally ripped just from the constant installing and removing of GPUs in their test setups.

Around the Network

One thing to keep in mind was that there was a DDR5 shortage when Alder Lake launched on top of being hugely expensive and DDR4 boards weren't all that available either.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/329987-micron-confirms-ddr5-memory-shortages

Not bad for an SFF model:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

One thing to keep in mind was that there was a DDR5 shortage when Alder Lake launched on top of being hugely expensive and DDR4 boards weren't all that available either.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/329987-micron-confirms-ddr5-memory-shortages

This just makes me not wanna upgrade past the 5800X3D even more, it just isn't worth me wasting on the expenses, when I could just stay behind one socket for a few yrs until that shit gets sorted.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Yea it's very hard to recommend upgrading to anything other than 5800X3D. As a side note, that article is very old cause Bof posted an article that said Ryzen 7000 sold twice as much as Alder Lake during launch but people forget there were a ton of shortages during Alder Lake launch not to mention very expensive DDR5. These days, DDR5 is still more expensive than DDR4 but not as expensive anymore. The main hump comes from the fact that most people have a DDR4 already and would need to buy DDR5.

One thing I will note is after chatting with one of my friends who is thinking to upgrade from his Skylake to Raptor Lake that some of the deals on the Z690 is pretty tempting.

As an example, the Z690 Aorus Elite which comes with a lot of goodies including PCI-E Gen 5 for GPU is on a pretty big discount right now going all the way down to $199 USD:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-z690-aorus-elite-ax/p/N82E16813145366?Description=z690&cm_re=z690-_-13-145-366-_-Product&quicklink=true

As he doesn't upgrade very often, his plan was to get either Ryzen 7000 or Raptor Lake and hunker down for a long time. The reason he's not going Ryzen 7000 is because the budget tier B650 starts at $189 and it comes with entry level components and PCI-E Gen 4 for GPU. On top of that, 7700X is only 8 cores 16 threads. So his plan is to get a Z690 that's on sale with PCI-E Gen 5 for GPU along with 13700k which comes with 8P cores 16 threads + 8E cores (16 cores in total). He was comparing that to Ryzen and the Ryzen equivalent which is the X670 Aorus Elite starts at $289 and doesn't even include PCI-E Gen 5 for GPU.

So all that is to say depending on your use case, there's still a lot of options even for someone that's budget minded. 5800X3D + AM4 is the best bang per buck choice followed by Raptor Lake + Z690 that's on sale and then Ryzen 7000 + B650E whenever that comes out.

Say buh bye to clean builds with a chonker GPU like that with them fugly connectors: