By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

If it weren't for the fact that we have chill temps 3/4 seasons, I probably wouldn't be tempting 450 watt 4090. But I get the feeling that 450 Watt will be FE and the Asus Strix 4090 which is likely the one I will get will be more like 600 watt.

Gonna be brutal but based on the rumours, the 80 series might not give me the uplift that I am looking for compared to the 4090.

That's not too bad. You're lucky you live in colder climates. Personally prefer being cooler than warm, weathers wise lol. Though I guess you guys also have extreme summers. Like ours is hot but nowhere near 40c and over.

I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with with raising ambient temperature and power usage.

It does look like this is one generation that the 90 series is going to be a quite substantial leap over the 80 series so it may be worth the extra wattage. Especially if you want to max out with RT and stuff at 4K with decent performance. I'm leaning more towards the 7 series myself but I can't say I'm not tempted by the 4080 lol.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

If it weren't for the fact that we have chill temps 3/4 seasons, I probably wouldn't be tempting 450 watt 4090. But I get the feeling that 450 Watt will be FE and the Asus Strix 4090 which is likely the one I will get will be more like 600 watt.

Gonna be brutal but based on the rumours, the 80 series might not give me the uplift that I am looking for compared to the 4090.

Then wait a bit more and get the 4080Ti.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

By the way, GOG is doing its last giveaway from this Summer Sale.

VirtuaVerse will be free during 68 more hours: https://www.gog.com/en/game/virtuaverse

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That's not too bad. You're lucky you live in colder climates. Personally prefer being cooler than warm, weathers wise lol. Though I guess you guys also have extreme summers. Like ours is hot but nowhere near 40c and over.

I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with with raising ambient temperature and power usage.

It does look like this is one generation that the 90 series is going to be a quite substantial leap over the 80 series so it may be worth the extra wattage. Especially if you want to max out with RT and stuff at 4K with decent performance. I'm leaning more towards the 7 series myself but I can't say I'm not tempted by the 4080 lol.

Yea our summers can get crazy hot for a week or two before it cools off. Generally it's never too bad but last year was awful.

Yea the main thing I really want is that core count. The wattage isn't the worst thing in the world cause you can undervolt it and lose like 5% of the performance while massively decreasing the power consumption.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-undervolting-update-so-goes-a-little-reason-even/2/

So if it does become too unbearable, there is always that choice. But we will see. Personally I do think the 4080 FE will be around 350 watt and not 400+ out of the box if it does have 10,000sh cuda cores. I think Kopite mainly gets his info from AIBs and not directly from Nvidia based on his numbers. But we will see how it turns out.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Nah, if there's one lesson to be learned this gen is to not wait lol. Plus the Ti versions are kinda lame other than the 3060 Ti. 3080 Ti was only $200 less than a 3090 with half the Vram and less cuda cores and that's if you could get it at MSRP. I am biting that 4090 nail as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 24 June 2022

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

Nah, if there's one lesson to be learned this gen is to not wait lol. Plus the Ti versions are kinda lame other than the 3060 Ti. 3080 Ti was only $200 less than a 3090 with half the Vram and less cuda cores and that's if you could get it at MSRP. I am biting that 4090 nail as soon as I get a chance.

But if you remember, some of the first 3080 cards suffered from problems (with the mosfets? I don't remember) that caused them to fail.

Rushing to buy a vard isn't always the best option.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

But if you remember, some of the first 3080 cards suffered from problems (with the mosfets? I don't remember) that caused them to fail.

That's true but the warranty should cover any launch issues. We even had issues well after launch with some of the Evga 3090's bricking due to soldering issues as late as September 2021. 4090 tier of GPUs is going to be a mine field regardless so hopefully, Asus has done their R&D.

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

That's true but the warranty should cover any launch issues. We even had issues well after launch with some of the Evga 3090's bricking due to soldering issues as late as September 2021. 4090 tier of GPUs is going to be a mine field regardless so hopefully, Asus has done their R&D.

Well, if that helps, the 4080/4090 should use the same board as the 3090Ti, and we haven't heard of problems with those cards.

Fe cards werent the problem iirc

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

If you mean the problem with the Mosfets (or whatever it was), then you're right, it happened on custom models where some companis decided to use cheaper products that weren't as capable as the ones Nvidia used in their their FE models.