By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 248 61.39%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 14 3.47%

it sucks 22 5.45%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.22%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 14 3.47%

Meh 32 7.92%

Total:343

The upcoming ‘big PlayStation remake’ is reportedly Chrono Cross
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-upcoming-big-playstation-remake-is-reportedly-chrono-cross/
A remake of Square Enix‘s classic RPG Chrono Cross is reportedly in development for multiple platforms.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

JPR: AMD and Intel GPU shipment decreased by 11% and 26% respectively from last quarter, NVIDIA increased by 8%

https://videocardz.com/press-release/jpr-amd-and-intel-gpu-shipment-decreased-by-11-and-26-respectively-from-last-quarter-nvidia-increased-by-8

It's interesting how last year, we were a bit annoyed that Nvidia went with Samsung instead of going with TSMC. In retrospec however, it was absolutely the correct move. 83% in dGPU market share is insane vs AMD's 17%! But the problem with Lovelace/RDNA 3 is the fact that they are both on the same node so if the mining continues... Well... Good Luck getting one!

It's also interesting how much market share Intel lost, because all those were from low CPU sales. We'll have to wait and see if Alder Lake changes that trent.

Tbh I get the feeling Alder Lake S won't make much of a difference overall. One of the big reasons to upgrade your system is to get a new GPU as you don't want a CPU bottleneck holding you back. This is why the 5000 series had such perfect timing when it launched with Ampere and RDNA 2. You got class leading performance in every area in terms of CPUs and many people were upgrading in anticipation of getting those new GPUs. The GPU shortage while severe, people still had hope.

But now it feels like there really isn't a reason for many to upgrade. Those that wanted to upgrade to a new CPU probably would have done it already and then you combine the motherboard prices of Z690, the marginal increase in performance compared to Ryzen 5000 and the very expensive prices of DDR5 while also being extremely hard to find, it's kinda becoming a meh launch overall. Especially as we do have Zen 4 and Raptor Lake on the horizon which should have a significant performance advantage and Lovelace/RDNA 3 will be launching next year as well to drive more incentive.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Rhonin the wizard said:

The upcoming ‘big PlayStation remake’ is reportedly Chrono Cross
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-upcoming-big-playstation-remake-is-reportedly-chrono-cross/
A remake of Square Enix‘s classic RPG Chrono Cross is reportedly in development for multiple platforms.

Well, others will be excited about it but, as someone that didn't play the original, this "big" remake falls flat on me.

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

It's also interesting how much market share Intel lost, because all those were from low CPU sales. We'll have to wait and see if Alder Lake changes that trent.

Tbh I get the feeling Alder Lake S won't make much of a difference overall. One of the big reasons to upgrade your system is to get a new GPU as you don't want a CPU bottleneck holding you back. This is why the 5000 series had such perfect timing when it launched with Ampere and RDNA 2. You got class leading performance in every area in terms of CPUs and many people were upgrading in anticipation of getting those new GPUs. The GPU shortage while severe, people still had hope.

But now it feels like there really isn't a reason for many to upgrade. Those that wanted to upgrade to a new CPU probably would have done it already and then you combine the motherboard prices of Z690, the marginal increase in performance compared to Ryzen 5000 and the very expensive prices of DDR5 while also being extremely hard to find, it's kinda becoming a meh launch overall. Especially as we do have Zen 4 and Raptor Lake on the horizon which should have a significant performance advantage and Lovelace/RDNA 3 will be launching next year as well to drive more incentive.

There are always people willing to upgrade to the latest tech available, and Alder Lake gives them that.

I'm not sure Raptor Lake will bring enough improvements to justify the wait. Zen 4 could be another story but, given that it's rumored to still be a PCIe Gen 4 processor, it could fail to atract some of the more demanding users. We'll see if the performance jump is enough to make them forget that, or if the leaks aren't true and it's also a Gen 5.0 processor.

Personally, I wouldn't mind upgrading the CPU+Mobo+Ram now and wait until I could get my hands on a GPU at reasonable prices, but I know I'm an odd ball here. Shame Black Friday hasn't brought the deals I hoped for.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

@JEMC Assuming you want a new build you could always go for a budget ADL upgrade (with an entry level B660 board) and reuse your existing DDR4 memory. The 12400 is looking like a beast for under $200 (performs around a 5600x) or spend a bit more for the 12600KF. Could use that until Raptor Lake and sell it and get the next CPU in the 13XXX series.

Last edited by hinch - 5 days ago

hinch said:

@JEMC Assuming you want a new build you could always go for a budget ADL upgrade (with an entry level B660 board) and reuse your existing DDR4 memory. The 12400 is looking like a beast for under $200 (performs around a 5600x) or spend a bit more for the 12600KF. Could use that until Raptor Lake and sell it and get the next CPU in the 13XXX series.

Thanks for the suggestion but, pleaso don't take it wrong, there are several reasons why I'm not going to follow it.

For starters, I prefer to build my own PCs and be able to better tailor it to my needs or preferences. Also, I'm quite happy with my current case, a Fractal Design R5, and I'll keep it.

I'm also decided, maybe even obsessed, in getting an 8-core CPU. I believe that a processor with fewer cores could become a problem later on and shorten the shelf life of it, specially for games. And I'm not saying that because a CPU with less cores is less powerful but because, for games, sometimes the number or cores/threads is equally important if not more... and we know that devs don't always pay attention to optimization.

Finally, I can't go with a stop-gap solution because, believe it or not, my system still runs on DDR3 . That makes the upgrade a bit more expensive so yeah, it's better to go all for it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Ah fair enough, I thought 'd throw in a suggestion xP But yeah if you're still on an older platform its probably worth going in all fresh. And true 8 cores is probably a safer bet in the long term. Granted CPU's are already powerful enough for gaming who knows in a few years when more powerful GPU's are out and new games and engines take advantages of more cores.

Talking about that case, I reused my Fractal R5 in my current build. Old one but still awesome. Cases I find generally you don't really need to update like PSU's when you find a good one.

If you are in the US, Samsung is having a pretty good Black Friday sale on their monitors including the Neo G9:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/

Of course, since I am in Canada, I get rofled

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

PC wins Golden Joystick Award for 'Ultimate Hardware of All Time,' accepted by Gabe Newell
https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-wins-golden-joystick-award-for-ultimate-hardware-of-all-time-accepted-by-gabe-newell/
It's good to remind ourselves now and then that video gaming of any form has only been around for about 50 years. The explosion of home electronics over the past half-century has featured some amazing platforms along the way, from the Atari VCS and Colecovision through the NES, PlayStation 2, and Nintendo Switch. But one towers above them all as the Ultimate Hardware of All Time, revealed during today's Golden Joystick Awards as the venerable, immortal PC.

NEO: The World Ends With You underperforms Square Enix's initial expectations
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/12018-neo-the-world-ends-with-you-underperforms-square-enixs-initial-expectations
Square Enix today posted [PDF] its Outline of the Results Briefing held on November 5, 2021, which covers the six-month period of the current fiscal year ending on September 30, 2021.

Within the briefing, when discussing year-over-year declines in both the Digital Entertainment segment and HD Games sub-segment, Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda stated that NEO: The World Ends With You did not meet the company's initial expectations.

Gaben taking the award is pretty apt lol

I'd say its pretty unfair lumping pc's as a one and be all platform for a hardware award when its essentially an open platform. With countless configurations and interchangeable components and ever evolving hardware.. but y'know, I can't disagree with this result. For me PC's almost always offer the best gaming experience (in terms of visuals/performance) in any given generation given you have the right hardware to play on them. And then you have the perks of an open platform.