By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

TallSilhouette said:

That feeling when you finally iron most of the kinks out of a build that's been giving you hell for months. It started with that rubbing fan on my 2070 a few months ago. My fix worked well for a while, then my PC started behaving erratically in general, soon ending in my CPU shitting the bed. Since I can't really go without a CPU for months til the next gen arrives and doing so would require a new mobo anyway I decided to turn my tragedy into an opportunity and upgraded to a 5950x (on sale!) with a new case and AIO to accommodate it:

That fixed my black screen issue but introduced even more fan problems. They were pretty loud out of the box but setting some custom curves in the BIOS and software got them manageable - except for one. Now my GPU was freaking out and running full blast at the slightest provocation and wouldn't come down until I completely shut the computer down. Troubleshooting this was a nightmare and nothing I tried worked for long - not even taking my machine to a professional. To add insult to injury the freakouts were wearing out the bearings on my GPU fans all over again and now two of them were making insufferable noise! Shuddering at the thought of a 2070 going to waste in today's market and having to grossly overpay for a replacement when the next gen is just around the corner I decided pop the hood on it and take a closer look. Fortunately I held on to the two good fans of the trio that originally came with the card and used those to replace the two making noise now. This is also when I found my culprit. Apparently last time I replaced the fans I plugged the cables in backwards so that a 3 pin cable was plugged into the GPU's 4 pin port and it couldn't properly regulate itself!

Powering on my PC and hearing a calm, stable boot up after months of awful noises was a moment of serenity like I haven't felt in ages. Now hopefully my 2070 will last a good while longer and my rig is already set up for a 4080 or 90 (apart from the power supply). Let's hope it all stays fixed this time, lol.

Sounds like you went on an adventure. Congrats on the 5950x! It's a killer CPU. It has been kinda hellish to cool for me as well to the point where next time, I'll probably pick something more mid-ranged than something that's top tier. Even my 360 AIO struggles when it's under full load. Some of the noises that's been coming from my PC has been very annoying for me to deal with as well but most of them can be attributed to the Lian Li fans which is quite a shame. RGB, great! Everything else? Maybe not so great with these fans...

Glad to hear you got your issues resolved though. Going from 2070 to 4080/90 would be one hell of a generational leap. Especially with a 5950x!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

What a journey!

Congratulations for finally solving all your troubles, and the mighty upgrade with it. What case did you get?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:

Sounds like you went on an adventure. Congrats on the 5950x! It's a killer CPU. It has been kinda hellish to cool for me as well to the point where next time, I'll probably pick something more mid-ranged than something that's top tier. Even my 360 AIO struggles when it's under full load. Some of the noises that's been coming from my PC has been very annoying for me to deal with as well but most of them can be attributed to the Lian Li fans which is quite a shame. RGB, great! Everything else? Maybe not so great with these fans...

Glad to hear you got your issues resolved though. Going from 2070 to 4080/90 would be one hell of a generational leap. Especially with a 5950x!

Yeah, this build is still considerably louder and hotter than my last and when my little brother upgrades at the end of the year I'm probably gonna recommend a cooler chip and quieter case. It's just quiet enough not to be bothersome and the extra productivity should be worth it. It's already speeding up my video editing and stabilizing my frame rates. Can't wait to pair it with a top of the line card to really make the most of it.

JEMC said:

What a journey!

Congratulations for finally solving all your troubles, and the mighty upgrade with it. What case did you get?

Thanks. It's a Lian Li Lancool II. I honestly didn't put much thought into the case and just went with the one Micro Center had on hand and recommended. Same with the cooler, a Kraken X73. It's considerably heavier and louder than my last case but the ventilation and accessibility are good.

TallSilhouette said:
JEMC said:

What a journey!

Thanks. It's a Lian Li Lancool II. I honestly didn't put much thought into the case and just went with the one Micro Center had on hand and recommended. Same with the cooler, a Kraken X73. It's considerably heavier and louder than my last case but the ventilation and accessibility are good.

Big case, but you need something quite big to house a 360 cooler.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

That fixed my black screen issue but introduced even more fan problems. They were pretty loud out of the box but setting some custom curves in the BIOS and software got them manageable - except for one. Now my GPU was freaking out and running full blast at the slightest provocation and wouldn't come down until I completely shut the computer down. Troubleshooting this was a nightmare and nothing I tried worked for long - not even taking my machine to a professional. To add insult to injury the freakouts were wearing out the bearings on my GPU fans all over again and now two of them were making insufferable noise! Shuddering at the thought of a 2070 going to waste in today's market and having to grossly overpay for a replacement when the next gen is just around the corner I decided pop the hood on it and take a closer look. Fortunately I held on to the two good fans of the trio that originally came with the card and used those to replace the two making noise now. This is also when I found my culprit. Apparently last time I replaced the fans I plugged the cables in backwards so that a 3 pin cable was plugged into the GPU's 4 pin port and it couldn't properly regulate itself!

Powering on my PC and hearing a calm, stable boot up after months of awful noises was a moment of serenity like I haven't felt in ages. Now hopefully my 2070 will last a good while longer and my rig is already set up for a 4080 or 90 (apart from the power supply). Let's hope it all stays fixed this time, lol.

@Bolded: that's the exact same problem I'm having with my GPU atm, in that if I so much as play any modern 3D game, the fans ramp up at around 45c and sta full blast until I shut the PC down. I tried uninstalling MSI AB, deleting it's settings, GPU still goes to full whack when gaming, tried reinstalling AB again and the same shit happened.

This happens with or without a custom van curve or the GPU fans set to auto, and MSI AB and Nvidia GFE cannot pick up the GPu fan speeds, not GPU-Z either and I'm lost as to how to solve the issue. Been scouring forums for months and the only answers I find are "flash your GPU BIOS" (something you super rarely have to do and really shouldn't be doing), "update your drivers", "set MSI AB custom fan curve to firmware mode!" etc, and it's mostly just fodder type answers from armchair gamers. 

The middle of the 3 fans on my 1080ti ended up wearing down to the point where it cluttered and sputtered so much, stopping one of the larger fans in the process. Had to take it to a PC repair store to have the fan removed and while I was there I had some new paste put in and a total clean-up. While I'm down one fan, temps are fine (max is around 65-70c, but that's with Cyberpunk and HZD so far), but I'm still down one fan and the issue with it ramping up isn't resolved, so I'm at a loss for what to do myself. 

Maybe I should pop my hood and check the pins to see if the connections are proper. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

If temps are fine I'd definitely check the connectors on the fans. Finding a reddit thread from a guy with the same issue who fixed it that way motivated me to double check mine and seems to have fixed the problem.

JEMC said:

Yeah, and those are 65W more on a smaller node. Zen4 better be great.

Considering the ES showed at CES was supposedly running at 5Ghz, I expect it to do at least that on all cores.

HDTVTest got their hands on LG's new 42"C2 OLED (Evo) TV

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 & RTX 4080 PCB Detailed: AD102 ‘Ada Lovelace’ GPU Support, 24 GB GDDR6X Memory & Up To 600W TDP

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-rtx-4080-pcb-ad102-ada-lovelace-gpu-24-gb-gddr6x-memory-600w-tdp/

Most likely, the FE will be 450 Watts while AIBs will be 600 Watts. AIB probably will have additional VBIOS that can probably unlock up to 1000 Watts though mainly for competitive overclocking. 3.5-4 slot GPUs be coming. While RDNA 3 should be more efficient, hopefully they can finally be competitive with Ray Tracing as majority of the games that are coming out is getting them.

NVIDIA Announces Streamline SDK to Simplify Integration of Super Resolution Technologies; RTX SDKs Got Updated

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-announces-streamline-sdk-to-simplify-integration-of-super-resolution-technologies-updated-rtx-sdks-and-more/

Intel XeSS AI SuperSampling Shown in Upcoming Soulslike Game Dolmen

https://wccftech.com/intel-xess-ai-supersampling-shown-in-upcoming-soulslike-game-dolmen/

Soon we will see how XeSS and FSR 2.0 perform against DLSS.

Intel Core i9-12900KS, The World’s Fastest Desktop CPU, Goes On Sale at Newegg For $799 US

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-12900ks-the-worlds-fastest-desktop-cpu-goes-on-sale-newegg-for-799-us/

Soon we will see the reviews between it and 5800X3D. But both won't be relevant for very long as Zen 4 is on the horizon.

iFixit teardown shows that Mac Studio’s internal storage is replaceable but not upgradable

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/23/ifixit-teardown-shows-that-mac-studios-internal-storage-is-replaceable-but-not-upgradable/

Every time I think Apple can't invent a new way for me to facepalm, they always surprise me. If you spent $4000 USD on a Mac Studio with 1TB SSD and you want to upgrade the 1TB SSD with say 2TB SSD, you can't. You can however replace the 1TB SSD with another 1TB SSD. So Apple has given you the option to replace your SSD.... As long as it's the same capacity! This is some mind boggling nonsense.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850