By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 248 61.39%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 14 3.47%

it sucks 22 5.45%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.22%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 14 3.47%

Meh 32 7.92%

Total:343

GN reviews an Alienware prebuilt PC

Oh dell, I like your laptops but your desktops are a complete joke. That poor Ryzen CPU getting absolutely killed by that terrible CPU cooler Jesus not the mention a whole host of other problems! Shameful Dell!

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Oh dell, I like your laptops but your desktops are a complete joke. That poor Ryzen CPU getting absolutely killed by that terrible CPU cooler Jesus not the mention a whole host of other problems! Shameful Dell!

This stock cooler belongs to the low tier CPUs like modern Athlon 3150GE or Pentium. Why Dell? This is shit treatment lmao!

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 20 July 2021

Bofferbrauer2 said:
QUAKECore89 said:

If i got a Steam Deck, i wouldn't install any heavy AAA game(like more than 24GB) on a microSD card. It's gonna probably bottleneck and have micro-stuttering experience.

I heard high speed write UHS-I card is recommended for better performance like this one. https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/professional-1066x-microsdhcmicrosdxc-uhs-i-cards-silver-series/

Or high class V90 UHS-II mofo o.o

Looks like my post got lost, so here again:

It depends on what the card reader can support (the one in the OG Switch can only UHS-I, for instance). If the cardreader does support UHS-II or even UHS-III, then with an appropriate card there shouldn't be any problem. Heck, even an UHS-I card, while ultimately slower than a desktop HDD, should have a smoother data transfer rate as there wouldn't be any deep dips in between as is the case with HDDs if it's an U3/V30 (which means a minimum sequential speed of 30mb/s). So you really shouldn't worry about microstutter.

In other words, something like this one should be enough for smooth gameplay without microstutter.

I dunno, i'm pretty sure they're gonna do some tests heavy games like Flight Simulator 2020 on many classes microSD cards, it will be fun to watch lol

Captain_Yuri said:

I also wouldn't mind Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II sequel. Or hell, even a remaster because you can't buy a digital copy anywhere because of some stupid licensing issue. Especially since the TV show is being made by amazon. (For the love of god please let the TV show be good.)

Funny you should mention BFME:

I really hope EA doesn't take it down, but my gut feeling tells me they will. We really do need a new LotR RTS or jesus, a good RPG game from that license tbh. 

Captain_Yuri said:

I watched it a while ago, but jesus christ, Alienware got SOOOOO lazy with this build.

The innards look like something straight out of the 90's, ranging from horrible cheap plastic, to cheap tacky metal, horrible wiring and wire colours, shitty stock CPU cooler etc. The whole thing costs a load and yet it looks cheaply made. 

This is why Alienware will continue to be utter garbage, because they never want to improve, only make cheap and charge high. 

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
hinch said:

In other news DirectStorage coming to Windows 10. For those on older PC's or just don't want to make the jump for whatever reason

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-directstorage-windows-10/

Also I did read about that further and it does look like if you did upgrade to Windows 11, you might still see improvements compared to windows 10 when it comes to direct storage:

• Storage stack optimizations: On Windows 11, this consists of an upgraded OS storage stack that unlocks the full potential of DirectStorage, and on Windows 10, games will still benefit from the more efficient use of the legacy OS storage stack

Just Microsoft being Microsoft then lol. I can imagine then saying well lets support it (on Win 10) but make it so that gamers want to upgrade or buy new PCs for the latest tech. I mean there no real reason for them not to support Win 10 with the full stack, other than segmenting the older versions to the new. Still going to upgrade so to 11 so won't make any difference to me, but hey ho for those stuck on old OS/hardware xP Though they had a bone thrown at them.

Really want to see the benefits of DirectStorage. Should be a real game changer on PC once the games come with it integrated.

hinch said:

Just Microsoft being Microsoft then lol. I can imagine then saying well lets support it (on Win 10) but make it so that gamers want to upgrade or buy new PCs for the latest tech. I mean there no real reason for them not to support Win 10 with the full stack, other than segmenting the older versions to the new. Still going to upgrade so to 11 so won't make any difference to me, but hey ho for those stuck on old OS/hardware xP Though they had a bone thrown at them.

Really want to see the benefits of DirectStorage. Should be a real game changer on PC once the games come with it integrated.

While this is stellar news, I'm still irked by the fact that this still needs to be implemented willingly by devs, and for DX 12 APi,, meaning DX 11 or previous won't see any benefits from this, meaning a crapload of old games won't get much out of this, and then it's going to be a thing where we have to hope every dev going forward implements it without needing a second thought. 

Like I've already been put off DX 12 for a number of yrs, because a load of devs simply didn't get to grips with the API, and why I still prefer DX 11. I just wish MS and devs got it done right, and do it more often, because then I'd actually get more of a benefit and over the long-term, instead of the short term for a few games. 

That's kinda how they've handled Direct X, they cut support on older gen OS's so people can adopt the next generation of software. I get where you can coming from though. DX12 had it issues with performance issues and quirks for the few years iirc. Like it wasn't a much of a step forward as if you compared to jump we had prior - like 10.1 to 11 which was massive in contrast.

DX12 Ultimate I feel is the real big one with Mesh Shaders, VRS, Sampler Feedback and DirectStorage. Where we move away from traditional streaming and reducing I/O bottlenecks while improving efficiency. Hopefully with some optimisation on Win 11 we'll get better performance out the gate.

Realistically, I don't expect to see many games add in much of these DX features in it for a good while due the slow uptake in GPU's that supports these features (thanks to a shit couple of years for PC parts) though everyone buying PC's now should at least have an SSD's so there's hope!

Last edited by hinch - on 20 July 2021

Amazon’s New World game is bricking GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards

https://www.windowscentral.com/amazons-new-world-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

"Reports on the New World subreddit indicate that trying to launch New World while using an RTX 3090 will sometimes cause it to completely fry, forcing those impacted to contact manufacturers for refunds or replacements. The issue seems to be affecting EVGA RTX 3090 cards more than other GPUs, though it's worth noting that people who use other versions of the 3090 have reported problems with overheating and dangerous power spikes."

Now while the game could have unoptimized code, this is 100% the fault of the GPU manufacture. Reading through the subreddits, it looks like the cards that are bricking are Evga cards while the rest get very hot but most other companies barely get mentioned other than "My Zotac 3090 is running fine". Apparently the Evga cards are making a "popping" sound before completely dying. Sounds like EVGA skimped out on something and we already knew some of these 3090s, including 4 slot ones had questionable cooling even from day one. This game just took it over the edge as it was uncapped. This reminds me of the Evga 10 series GPUs blowing up and Evga had to do a vBIOS update and give people a thermal pad installation kit:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/11/3/13510238/evga-geforce-1080-1070-1060-graphics-card-fire

Last edited by Captain_Yuri - on 21 July 2021

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:

Amazon’s New World game is bricking GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards

https://www.windowscentral.com/amazons-new-world-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

"Reports on the New World subreddit indicate that trying to launch New World while using an RTX 3090 will sometimes cause it to completely fry, forcing those impacted to contact manufacturers for refunds or replacements. The issue seems to be affecting EVGA RTX 3090 cards more than other GPUs, though it's worth noting that people who use other versions of the 3090 have reported problems with overheating and dangerous power spikes."

Now while the game could have unoptimized code, this is 100% the fault of the GPU manufacture. Reading through the subreddits, it looks like the cards that are bricking are Evga cards while the rest get very hot but most other companies barely get mentioned other than "My Zotac 3090 is running fine". Sounds like EVGA skimped out on something and we already knew some of these 3090s, including 4 slot ones had questionable cooling even from day one. This game just took it over the edge as it was uncapped. This reminds me of the Evga 10 series GPUs blowing up and Evga had to do a vBIOS update and give people a thermal pad installation kit:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/11/3/13510238/evga-geforce-1080-1070-1060-graphics-card-fire

It crazy to me that with all the protections built into GPU these days that this could still happen.  You would think that with how GPU throttle down base on temps and the power limits that it would not be difficult to test and ensure you making a product this don't happen especially for a company like evga. 

First thing I do when I get a new gpu is to figure out what the overclock limits are stable and then stress test it.  Which mean I ran my 3090 with power limit set to max, Memory and Clock OC through a stress test where it staying at 100% usage for about a hour.  No issues.  Afterward I set it back to stock because I don't really need it OC I just like to find out how good the silicon I own is.

I wonder if the game doing something that even a stress test would not find or if the cards affected would also fry if it went through a similar stress test.  I guessing I would be fine with my ASUS strix 3090 but I still would not chance it by playing the game at the moment, luckily it a game I never had a interest in.