By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

 

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 248 61.39%
 
So soon? I just got used to the last one 14 3.47%
 
it sucks 22 5.45%
 
Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.22%
 
Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 14 3.47%
 
Meh 32 7.92%
 
Total:343
Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Maybe Microsd card performance isn't that bad for last gen titles at least on the Steam Deck

I also imagine a myriad of indie games will be fine on SD cards, just like the indie games I run off my SD card on my Switch. 

Yea, realistically the problem with MicroSD is write speeds more so than the read speeds. If they can do 100 MB/s reads, because it's flash storage and no seek times like in a hard drive, it should still be relatively fast in theory. We will see how it does in practice though but one of the main problems with the fallen order on consoles was the fact that the hard drives were so slow that it caused massive stutters. So if IGN says the fallen order ran fine at high settings and it was apparently running off of the Microsd card? then it should be fine?



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network

That's true, one thing out of the way at least lol. And oh yeah! Forgot about the Super refresh.. Might try my luck with the 3070 Super, or something xP



So I've been playing a bit more Red Alert 3 lately, trying out at least 3 types of mods.

The first mod is "Shock Therapy", a mod that basically gives some QoL changes (stuff like infantry being a bit smaller, Expansion pack units being added to the base game, more maps etc). The mod is great and feels like EA should have just added a few more patches and made the expansion pack baseline from the start.

The second mod is called "Remix", which basically turns Red Alert 3's wackiness up to 11. The mod features new user created units, and units from C&C 4 (with some slight visual tweaks and abilities):

The mod itself is quite loony and definitely interesting. With the increase in starting cash, you can pretty much spam as many units as possible and have insanely massive battles. You could absolutely do stuff like turret push half the map, something that wasn't entirely possible nor profitable in the vanilla game.

My one major gripe with this mod, is that the mod author has done something with the game's Skirmish AI. The AI itself on either hard or brutal difficulty, will simply just spam 3-4 types of units and just continue spamming them to either throw at your base, or just spam and clog up their own territory, effectively doing nothing. I've had a few matches where two of my partner AI were doing so little in strategy, but certainly spamming a ton (Empire partner spammed turrets, had very little units, whilst my soviet partner spammed tons of apoc tanks and they just sat around at his base).

I do hope he sorts the AI out, because I know for a fact that there isn't a ton of people playing Red Alert 3, let alone this mod (I know this because I use C&C online app, and I've noticed those using his mod are very slim, like 10ish people at any given week).

The final mod I tried for a brief while is called "Armoured Rush", which is probably a mod Yuri might like, as it's a mod that adds a bit more scifi anime tech to it's game, as well as Anime type characters to each faction (Like how Empire has this anime style flying fortress, and even one sub faction of the Empire is voiced by a Japanese actor, playing that sub faction's notifications).

It's not really my kind of mod, mostly because it drastically changed how a lot of units worked in RA3, and it added in a bit too much Animu for my taste (the game is meant to be about 3 Axis powers going off against each other, not waifu's and flying fortresses with Miku sounding announcers).

If I had to pick one of the 3, I'd probably go with Shock Therapy, because it's more faithful to the base game, and doesn't radically change things up, but is still good enough to play. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 20 July 2021

hinch said:

In other news DirectStorage coming to Windows 10. For those on older PC's or just don't want to make the jump for whatever reason

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-directstorage-windows-10/

Also I did read about that further and it does look like if you did upgrade to Windows 11, you might still see improvements compared to windows 10 when it comes to direct storage:

  • Storage stack optimizations: On Windows 11, this consists of an upgraded OS storage stack that unlocks the full potential of DirectStorage, and on Windows 10, games will still benefit from the more efficient use of the legacy OS storage stack



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Chazore said:

So I've been playing a bit more Red Alert 3 lately, trying out at least 3 types of mods.

The first mod is "Shock Therapy", a mod that basically gives some QoL changes (stuff like infantry being a bit smaller, Expansion pack units being added to the base game, more maps etc). The mod is great and feels like EA should have just added a few more patches and made the expansion pack baseline from the start.

The second mod is called "Remix", which basically turns Red Alert 3's wackiness up to 11. The mod features new user created units, and units from C&C 4 (with some slight visual tweaks and abilities):

The mod itself is quite loony and definitely interesting. With the increase in starting cash, you can pretty much spam as many units as possible and have insanely massive battles. You could absolutely do stuff like turret push half the map, something that wasn't entirely possible nor profitable in the vanilla game.

My one major gripe with this mod, is that the mod author has done something with the game's Skirmish AI. The AI itself on either hard or brutal difficulty, will simply just spam 3-4 types of units and just continue spamming them to either throw at your base, or just spam and clog up their own territory, effectively doing nothing. I've had a few matches where two of my partner AI were doing so little in strategy, but certainly spamming a ton (Empire partner spammed turrets, had very little units, whilst my soviet partner spammed tons of apoc tanks and they just sat around at his base).

I do hope he sorts the AI out, because I know for a fact that there isn't a ton of people playing Red Alert 3, let alone this mod (I know this because I use C&C online app, and I've noticed those using his mod are very slim, like 10ish people at any given week).

The final mod I tried for a brief while is called "Armoured Rush", which is probably a mod Yuri might like, as it's a mod that adds a bit more scifi anime tech to it's game, as well as Anime type characters to each faction (Like how Empire has this anime style flying fortress, and even one sub faction of the Empire is voiced by a Japanese actor, playing that sub faction's notifications).

It's not really my kind of mod, mostly because it drastically changed how a lot of units worked in RA3, and it added in a bit too much Animu for my taste (the game is meant to be about 3 Axis powers going off against each other, not waifu's and flying fortresses with Miku sounding announcers).

If I had to pick one of the 3, I'd probably go with Shock Therapy, because it's more faithful to the base game, and doesn't radically change things up, but is still good enough to play. 

It's crazy how good this game still looks. I do wish we could get another generation of RTS revitalization as back in those days, there were so many good RTS games. It's annoying how now, we are basically just left with Starcraft 2 which is dying and Age of Empires IV which looks worse than that. Hopefully AoE IV will be fun still but I want another mainline C&C game. Maybe with the success of C&C remaster, we could get something but then again, it's EA...



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network

Some good news for those of you interested in the Steam Deck: it's more powerful than first thought.

Turns out the Steam Deck's final spec is now more impressive than Valve first listed
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/steam-deck-memory-channels-lpdd5/
Valve has updated the Steam Deck specifications to correctly report the handheld's genuinely impressive memory specification. First noted with dual-channel RAM, the updated specification now correctly lists quad-channel 32-bit LPDDR5 memory with speeds up to 5,500MT/s.

The raw speed that Valve is touting for its handheld console, 5,500MT/s, hasn't actually changed since it was announced, but as Twitter user Locuza rightly points out, something didn't add up with the initial LPDDR5 spec listed by Valve.

The Steam Deck was first listed with dual-channel LPDDR5, however, that has now been corrected to quad-channel 32-bit LPDDR5. An important distinction, as this confirms the Steam Deck has a tremendous amount of bandwidth relative to its expected GPU performance.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The Deck keeps getting better every day! Sounds like Valve and AMD really thought this through.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:
Chazore said:

I also imagine a myriad of indie games will be fine on SD cards, just like the indie games I run off my SD card on my Switch. 

Yea, realistically the problem with MicroSD is write speeds more so than the read speeds. If they can do 100 MB/s reads, because it's flash storage and no seek times like in a hard drive, it should still be relatively fast in theory.

Especially compared to the stock PS4 HDD, which was slower than most other HDDs.

I'm looking forward to a Cyberpunk comparison on Steam Deck & PS4 (texture streaming...).



Captain_Yuri said:

It's crazy how good this game still looks. I do wish we could get another generation of RTS revitalization as back in those days, there were so many good RTS games. It's annoying how now, we are basically just left with Starcraft 2 which is dying and Age of Empires IV which looks worse than that. Hopefully AoE IV will be fun still but I want another mainline C&C game. Maybe with the success of C&C remaster, we could get something but then again, it's EA...

There's one mod I'm personally waiting on, and it's called "Corona" (I know that sounds bad being named after the virus lol), and it's being created by a mod team based in China, with them adding a Chinese faction to the game, as well as new units and unit changes to existing factions, new soundtrack and even a campaign will full voice acting, story and cutscenes. It looks bonkers and I like the look of it. 

Here's the trailer and here's one of the mod's main themes (Sounds about as iconic as Frank K's guitar riffs).

I'd suggest EA hire these guys, because by far they are the most dedicated modders in the Red Alert fanbase (most clean cut as well when you see their storyboard art, MV's and unit design).


Also forgot to add, there's also a mod for those that love C&C Generals, it's a conversion mod that basically slaps in generals units/buildings and protocols. it only works with skirmish atm, but it looks bloody good for a conversion, and I'm about to download and test it out in a few mins.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-generals-evolution

I'm in the same boat myself Yuri, I'm still hankering for those good old days, when we had plenty of RTS games to play, it was like a treasure trove. These days we're getting maybe 1-2 good RTS games, but that's a big "maybe". AoE IV looks rather rough around the edges (less factions to play with, graphics don't look as good as the reveal trailer 2yrs ago, and units look almost as big as buildings, which isn't a good idea).

SC II is officially dead in Blizz CEO/BoD eyes (their last meeting call had no input or talk of SCII and they pretty much stopped updating content for it, which I would consider the death knell).

I'm hoping EA seizes this ripe opportunity to remake the other C&C games (I'd love a 60fps remake/retexture of C&C 3/KW/RA3 and Tib Sun Firestorm for example), and give them some AAA polish, because lord knows the genre really needs a good shot in the arm from the AAA side of things.

I know we get a few nice indie titles like They are Billions or PA Titans, but those don't last for long and tend to drop off into obscurity within a year or two after release (though PA Titans is still getting QoL updates which I am eternally grateful for, despite the company behind the game being liquidated by T2, the bastards). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 20 July 2021

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It's crazy how good this game still looks. I do wish we could get another generation of RTS revitalization as back in those days, there were so many good RTS games. It's annoying how now, we are basically just left with Starcraft 2 which is dying and Age of Empires IV which looks worse than that. Hopefully AoE IV will be fun still but I want another mainline C&C game. Maybe with the success of C&C remaster, we could get something but then again, it's EA...

There's one mod I'm personally waiting on, and it's called "Corona" (I know that sounds bad being named after the virus lol), and it's being created by a mod team based in China, with them adding a Chinese faction to the game, as well as new units and unit changes to existing factions, new soundtrack and even a campaign will full voice acting, story and cutscenes. It looks bonkers and I like the look of it. 

Here's the trailer and here's one of the mod's main themes (Sounds about as iconic as Frank K's guitar riffs).

I'd suggest EA hire these guys, because by far they are the most dedicated modders in the Red Alert fanbase (most clean cut as well when you see their storyboard art, MV's and unit design).


Also forgot to add, there's also a mod for those that love C&C Generals, it's a conversion mod that basically slaps in generals units/buildings and protocols. it only works with skirmish atm, but it looks bloody good for a conversion, and I'm about to download and test it out in a few mins.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-generals-evolution

I'm in the same boat myself Yuri, I'm still hankering for those good old days, when we had plenty of RTS games to play, it was like a treasure trove. These days we're getting maybe 1-2 good RTS games, but that's a big "maybe". AoE IV looks rather rough around the edges (less factions to play with, graphics don't look as good as the reveal trailer 2yrs ago, and units look almost as big as buildings, which isn't a good idea).

SC II is officially dead in Blizz CEO/BoD eyes (their last meeting call had no input or talk of SCII and they pretty much stopped updating content for it, which I would consider the death knell).

I'm hoping EA seizes this ripe opportunity to remake the other C&C games (I'd love a 60fps remake/retexture of C&C 3/KW/RA3 and Tib Sun Firestorm for example), and give them some AAA polish, because lord knows the genre really needs a good shot in the arm from the AAA side of things.

I know we get a few nice indie titles like They are Billions or PA Titans, but those don't last for long and tend to drop off into obscurity within a year or two after release (though PA Titans is still getting QoL updates which I am eternally grateful for, despite the company behind the game being liquidated by T2, the bastards). 

Yea those mods are pretty impressive. Modders do what EA don't! Almost feels like that slogan seems to be the theme of this month lol.

I also wouldn't mind Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II sequel. Or hell, even a remaster because you can't buy a digital copy anywhere because of some stupid licensing issue. Especially since the TV show is being made by amazon. (For the love of god please let the TV show be good.)



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread