By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

To showcase how powerful the 3090 is, Nvidia used 8K gaming benchmarks. Who the f*ck games at 8K? And now think of the successor to that beast that is rumored to deliver 2-2.5 times more power. Why would you need that? Sure, sure, game requirements will increase as the console generation goes, and there must be someone out there that games with two or even three 4K monitors, but it feels like we've reached a point where hardware has, once again, outpaced the needs for it.

And you mention the 3060Ti/3070, but what about its successors? With a 4060Ti that could deliver close to 3080 performance (only with 8GB because Nvidia has to cripple them somehow), you'll be served for years to come for a fraction of the price and power consumption of those leaked monsters.

It's like both AMD and Nvidia are so obsessed on having the performance crown that they don't care about the sacrifices to get it.

Voxels...voxels everywhere...:P

Around the Network
JEMC said:
hinch said:

I'd say most people could get away with a 3060Ti/3070 class GPU to last a whole generation (of console ports), depending on what you play and what resolution. And like you said more games are using some sort of upscaling tech and lets not forget things like mesh shaders, VRS and other DX stuff which will give cards more performance. Something like a 3080 would be absolutely fine for several years too for 4K gaming.

Don't get me wrong, it be interesting to see how these cards will perform and I'm clearly not in the target audience for a XX90 class GPU anyways so there's that. As long as the 80 class cards and 70 aren't clearly overpriced and take nuclear reactor to run all is well xD

To showcase how powerful the 3090 is, Nvidia used 8K gaming benchmarks. Who the f*ck games at 8K? And now think of the successor to that beast that is rumored to deliver 2-2.5 times more power. Why would you need that? Sure, sure, game requirements will increase as the console generation goes, and there must be someone out there that games with two or even three 4K monitors, but it feels like we've reached a point where hardware has, once again, outpaced the needs for it.

And you mention the 3060Ti/3070, but what about its successors? With a 4060Ti that could deliver close to 3080 performance (only with 8GB because Nvidia has to cripple them somehow), you'll be served for years to come for a fraction of the price and power consumption of those leaked monsters.

It's like both AMD and Nvidia are so obsessed on having the performance crown that they don't care about the sacrifices to get it.

That 8K preview was lul worthy. Even in a decade I highly doubt 8K will become industry standard, 4K is already a strain on broadcasting/streaming services. And realistically with more games pushing for more better lighting and effects like RT and the limitations on current gen consoles, its not feasible. The 3090 is just Nvidia flexing with their halo product.

i guess RT performance is something that's needs improving. Since current cards see huge performance deficit with it turned on. And seeing that's becoming more a common thing and (most likely) eventually standard in the majority of games in the near future.

That 8GB VRAM for the 70 cards are are a bit of joke though. I guess they might bump it up with Lovelace since AMD current 70 tier cards offer 50% more capacity with their equivalent card in their stack. But yeah, halo products are always pushing the limits and thats where efficiency goes out the window.

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

Voxels...voxels everywhere...:P

Man! We "just" moved to RT, give them (and us) some time to adjust to the novelty .

hinch said:
JEMC said:

That 8K preview was lul worthy. Even in a decade I highly doubt 8K will become industry standard, 4K is already a strain on broadcasting/streaming services. And realistically with more games pushing for more better lighting and effects like RT and the limitations on current gen consoles, its not feasible. The 3090 is just Nvidia flexing with their halo product.

i guess RT performance is something that's needs improving. Since current cards see huge performance deficit with it turned on. And seeing that's becoming more a common thing and (most likely) eventually standard in the majority of games in the near future.

That 8GB VRAM for the 70 cards are are a bit of joke though. I guess they might bump it up with Lovelace since AMD current 70 tier cards offer 50% more capacity with their equivalent card in their stack. But yeah, halo products are always pushing the limits and thats where efficiency goes out the window.

I'm not even sure if there are 8K monitors, and the few TVs that exist are the size of a wall. So yeah, 8K gaming isn't going to happen anytime soon.

RT is the biggest reason to upgrade, I agree with you, but can't they do it without turning the cards into heaters?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Some news

Samsung Foundry, Which Produces NVIDIA GPUs, Announces A Price Hike

https://wccftech.com/samsung-foundry-which-produces-nvidia-gpus-announces-a-price-hike/

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme Flagship AM4 Motherboard Unveiled – 20 Phase VRM For Extreme Ryzen Overclocking

https://wccftech.com/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-extreme-am4-motherboard-unveiled-20-phase-vrm/

Probably gonna cost an arm and a leg and since Ryzen can't overclock very well, it's mainly useless. Still, I do like the fact that it has dual Thunderbolt 4 ports which is rare on Ryzen.

No end to global chip shortage before H1 2023, STMicro CEO says

https://www.reuters.com/technology/stmicros-average-chip-prices-up-5-so-far-this-year-ceo-says-2021-07-29/?utm_source=reddit.com

As crypto is going back up, maybe I will keep my 3080 for more than a generation

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Crypto going up again? C'mon! That's not fair.

Boo!

On another note, I'm not sure if this is serious or a joke, but here comes some nostalgia:

GPU Maker, 3dfx Interactive Teases A Comeback After 20 Years, Major Announcement Expected Next Week
https://wccftech.com/gpu-maker-3dfx-interactive-teases-a-comeback-after-20-years-major-announcement-expected-next-week/
It looks like 3dfx Interactive, one of the iconic GPU makers, is making a comeback after 20 years. A new Twitter account which is supposedly run by the company has tweeted out that the company is making a return and going to make a major announcement next week.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

My biggest fear next gen is gonna be the pricing for these "performance lifts." This generation, we have seen that AMD has effectively abandoned budget gamers.

On their CPU side, a 5600G which costs slightly less than 5600X gets out performed by the much cheaper 11400 from Intel in CPU performance. On top of that, Intel gives you PCI-E gen 4 while you are stuck with Gen 3 for 5600G.

On the GPU front, a 6600XT is an utter joke. Nvidia gives you a GPU (3060 Ti) that will beat the PS5/Series X. AMD gives you a GPU that will probably get rolled by the consoles for $20 less. And you can't even make the argument that when you put on ray tracing, the 3060 becomes much more competitive against the consoles because we know how bad RDNA 2 really is with higher end Ray Tracing titles. And the 3060 has more Vram.

Now you could say MSRP doesn't matter for GPUs but remember that both AMD and Nvidia do sell GPUs for MSRP. It's just extremely hard to get them. And while you might have to wait for 20 hours at best buy for a chance to get a 3060 Ti at MSRP, you don't have that choice with a 6600XT as it's AIBs only.

Next time around though, they are both going for TSMC. And if the silicon shortage sticks and I am sure the Cryto currency boom will come back since these performance uplifts will surely include mining as well... It will be some essh worthy times. Hopefully Intel can actually fill in the budget GPU category like they have been doing with their CPUs. Cause while these days, I can afford a 5950x and a 3080, I was in the mid ranged segment for most of my life so far. And it's quite shameful how much money you really need to spend these days to get into PC gaming.

But that is one of the reasons I am excited for the Steam Deck.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

Crypto going up again? C'mon! That's not fair.

Boo!

On another note, I'm not sure if this is serious or a joke, but here comes some nostalgia:

GPU Maker, 3dfx Interactive Teases A Comeback After 20 Years, Major Announcement Expected Next Week
https://wccftech.com/gpu-maker-3dfx-interactive-teases-a-comeback-after-20-years-major-announcement-expected-next-week/
It looks like 3dfx Interactive, one of the iconic GPU makers, is making a comeback after 20 years. A new Twitter account which is supposedly run by the company has tweeted out that the company is making a return and going to make a major announcement next week.

The expectations are that it is a joke, as the picture used in the tweet is from a DeviantArt 3DFX Fan and was made back in 2014. Unless they really licensed that picture and asked the owned to stay quiet about it, it's something no company ever does.

Captain_Yuri said:

My biggest fear next gen is gonna be the pricing for these "performance lifts." This generation, we have seen that AMD has effectively abandoned budget gamers.

On their CPU side, a 5600G which costs slightly less than 5600X gets out performed by the much cheaper 11400 from Intel in CPU performance. On top of that, Intel gives you PCI-E gen 4 while you are stuck with Gen 3 for 5600G.

On the GPU front, a 6600XT is an utter joke. Nvidia gives you a GPU (3060 Ti) that will beat the PS5/Series X. AMD gives you a GPU that will probably get rolled by the consoles for $20 less. And you can't even make the argument that when you put on ray tracing, the 3060 becomes much more competitive against the consoles because we know how bad RDNA 2 really is with higher end Ray Tracing titles. And the 3060 has more Vram.

Now you could say MSRP doesn't matter for GPUs but remember that both AMD and Nvidia do sell GPUs for MSRP. It's just extremely hard to get them. And while you might have to wait for 20 hours at best buy for a chance to get a 3060 Ti at MSRP, you don't have that choice with a 6600XT as it's AIBs only.

Next time around though, they are both going for TSMC. And if the silicon shortage sticks and I am sure the Cryto currency boom will come back since these performance uplifts will surely include mining as well... It will be some essh worthy times. Hopefully Intel can actually fill in the budget GPU category like they have been doing with their CPUs. Cause while these days, I can afford a 5950x and a 3080, I was in the mid ranged segment for most of my life so far. And it's quite shameful how much money you really need to spend these days to get into PC gaming.

AMD's goal to reach a 50% gross margin may be great for its results and investors, but it's killing us with prices that are higher than should be.

And well, I hope Nvidia has learned the lesson and designs their chips with anti-crypto measures from the start. With a bit of luck, AMD will join them.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

The expectations are that it is a joke, as the picture used in the tweet is from a DeviantArt 3DFX Fan and was made back in 2014. Unless they really licensed that picture and asked the owned to stay quiet about it, it's something no company ever does.

Yeah, I agree that a joke is more likely because I don't see them making a comeback all of a sudden. Maybe some kind of merchandising products with their name, which could explain the use of that picture.

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD's goal to reach a 50% gross margin may be great for its results and investors, but it's killing us with prices that are higher than should be.

And well, I hope Nvidia has learned the lesson and designs their chips with anti-crypto measures from the start. With a bit of luck, AMD will join them.

Yea and that's the annoying part. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying AMD should be a charity but on the more budget cards, I would like all companies to take more of a hit to their margins to keep the costs low cause you just know they are making bank on their higher end cards. In a landscape where both Nvidia and AMD want the highest margins possible, it really does start to screw the more lower end cards.

The main issue with their anti-crypto is that it only really targets ETH. If next time around, there's another popular crypto currency as ETH is going away from mining, then their LHR isn't gonna do much. We will see though.

Captain_Yuri said:

My greatest fear is that we're likely to no longer have a Ti variant that's going to be akin to what the 1080ti was, meaning I'll have to go back to the 80 models, but even then, this gen shows that's both no longer within my reach, purchase and price wise, so what am I left with exactly that's within my performance range?. 

I'm not exactly a budget gamer, but I got used to what the 980ti and 1080ti offered me, but it feels like I've been forced out of that area, and personally I don't like it.

I think I should probably just go with the Deck first, before thinking of upgrading to a whole new rig, because I think I'm in for a bumpy ride. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"