By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

OMG, my estimated order availability date as changed to December 2021!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Maybe Microsd card performance isn't that bad for last gen titles at least on the Steam Deck

If i got a Steam Deck, i wouldn't install any heavy AAA game(like more than 24GB) on a microSD card. It's gonna probably bottleneck and have micro-stuttering experience.

I heard high speed write UHS-I card is recommended for better performance like this one. https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/professional-1066x-microsdhcmicrosdxc-uhs-i-cards-silver-series/

Or high class V90 UHS-II mofo o.o

Yea we will see how it performs. Most ps4/x1 titles are optimized for slow hard drives and the benefit of microsd is that it's still flash storage so there is no seek times. So maybe a good microsd might be enough for last gen games, even AAA games depending on how it goes.

Not that it matters cause I got the nvme model.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Woop nice one! Gratz.. so jelly.

Gonna be a long wait for mine lol..

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Woop nice one! Gratz.. so jelly.

Gonna be a long wait for mine lol..

Thanks! I'll post my experience with it here so least you get to know if you want to keep your pre-order or not

Sweet, looking forward to hands on and impressions. Yeah I guess it gives me more time to decide whether or not I need one. But yeah, only 4 and a half months to launch, not bad!

Generally I find staggered batches pretty weird though if it gets into peoples hands earlier, then thats great.

I do wonder how many units they're shipping this year. The 2021 batch seemed like it went in the first 15-20 minutes.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 July 2021

Around the Network
hinch said:

Sweet, looking forward to hands on and impressions. Yeah I guess it gives me more time to decide whether or not I need one. But yeah, only 4 and a half months to launch, not bad!

Generally I find staggered batches pretty weird though if it gets into peoples hands earlier, then thats great.

I do wonder how many units they're shipping this year. The 2021 batch seemed like it went in the first 15-20 minutes.

Yea I am assuming it's pretty small quantities as Valve doesn't have the manufacturing capabilities as the large bois. But if it gets popular enough, they will probably increase it dramatically.

Captain_Yuri said:

Congratulations. You'll get an early (or late) X-mas present.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

For those of you in the UK:

*** NEW CONTEST ***

Win an Asus ROG Chariot Gaming Chair
https://hexus.net/gaming/features/hardware/148085-win-asus-rog-chariot-gaming-chair/

Given its size and weight, it's not surprising that this is an UK ONLY contest.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

QUAKECore89 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Maybe Microsd card performance isn't that bad for last gen titles at least on the Steam Deck

If i got a Steam Deck, i wouldn't install any heavy AAA game(like more than 24GB) on a microSD card. It's gonna probably bottleneck and have micro-stuttering experience.

I heard high speed write UHS-I card is recommended for better performance like this one. https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/professional-1066x-microsdhcmicrosdxc-uhs-i-cards-silver-series/

Or high class V90 UHS-II mofo o.o

Looks like my post got lost, so here again:

It depends on what the card reader can support (the one in the OG Switch can only UHS-I, for instance). If the cardreader does support UHS-II or even UHS-III, then with an appropriate card there shouldn't be any problem. Heck, even an UHS-I card, while ultimately slower than a desktop HDD, should have a smoother data transfer rate as there wouldn't be any deep dips in between as is the case with HDDs if it's an U3/V30 (which means a minimum sequential speed of 30mb/s). So you really shouldn't worry about microstutter.

In other words, something like this one should be enough for smooth gameplay without microstutter.

Captain_Yuri said:

So steam is your Secret Santa this year?