By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

hinch said:

Yeah its just another option for people who want to game on the go. People bashing on it probably won't ever get it and that's on them. I'm excited for the Deck want this to really take off and see more companies offer more PC's in this formfactor.

Also.. drum roll please. FSR vs DLSS comparison in Necromunda Hired Gun (4K)

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fsr-and-nvidia-dlss-comparison-shows-similar-quality-and-performance-at-4k-resolution-in-necromunda-hired-gun

FSR fares pretty well all considering! Ok so its not there with DLSS yet but its still mighty impressive and works with considerable more GPU's out there.

It will be an interesting comparison when DF does it. It is certainly one of those, yea it's not as good as DLSS but if you don't have RTX card which many still don't, it's way better than the alternative assuming TAA Upscaling isn't an option.

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well for some people to understand the appeal of the Steam Deck, we need to understand the unappealing aspects of the Switch and why there is a market for this. If the Switch had most of the advantages of the Steam Deck, then it wouldn't make the Steam Deck appealing. But some people can't grasp the concept that multiple handhelds can exist in the market without one of them failing.

I mean may as well since the moment the device was shown, it was already being said that it'd flop (despite the leaked pre-order numbers and clearly sold out stories). 

Both can co-exist just like PC has, no need for the stupid "it's doomed" crap, because it doesn't happen to play 1st party Ninty games (even though it'll be emulating them for some folks). 

Yea pretty much. I remember all those PC doomed nonsense back in the 7th gen but PC has only been growing since then. I do hope this succeeds as it really does shrink the barrier to entry for PC gaming to $399 (but realistically, $529).

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

So it's fair to name the "unappealing aspects of the Switch", but not the ones for the Deck? Because the only time you've mentioned the weight, for example, is when replying to Boffer, and then you simply minimized the problem with a "This is much heavier yes but it's a full blown PC".

No system is perfect, there will always be trade-offs, and attacking on system for its shortcommings (and one that's already 4 years old), while forgetting or forgiving the ones from another is... well. do I need to say the word?

Oh, by the way, I checked Yuzu since it seems to be the more popular emulator and while yes, you can play Breath on the Wirld, they list the status as ok, which means "Game functions with major graphical or audio glitches, but game is playable from start to finish with workarounds." So yeah, you can play BotW, but if you want to enjoy it, a Switch is still your best option. And will still be if you want to play all its games without problems from day one.

Now don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of the Steam Deck despite not being the target for it, but this seems more a competitor for mid-range gaming laptops rather than the Switch console.

I mean, we already understand the appeal of the switch. It's been out for 4 years and sold 90 million. There are many reasons to get the Switch but because the Steam Deck is so new and it's concept is so unique, it's harder for people to understand it's appeal. It's why I am highlighting many of it's strengths because others are highlighting it's weaknesses and not it's strengths. You mentioned Boffer's comment, go read his and see if he highlighted any positives about the Steam Deck. I am not saying the Steam Deck doesn't have any weaknesses but I do think people are also not understanding it's strengths.

And I wasn't referring to Yuzu for BoTW. Cemu does a much better job with BoTW on PC while looking significantly better. But yes, out of the box experience for Nintendo games, it would be better on the Switch.

http://wiki.cemu.info/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Breath_of_the_Wild

"Compatibility: Perfect"

And yes, I am not saying this is a direct competitor to the switch (as I have said in an number of previous posts). It's more so a direct competitor to other PC handhelds like the GPD Win and Aya Neo.

The concept of the Deck is quite simple: it's a mid-range powered PC in a handheld form that makes it great for gaming on the go/TV and, for the first time, with a reasonable price. If there's someone who doesn't get it, then he/she doesn't get handheld gaming.

Boffer's post was a reply to Marth stating his reasons to not like it, not a description of the Deck like your posts have been. There's a clear difference there.

Ah, yes, CEMU! Playing the WiiU version of BotW instead of the Switch one. Ok.

And last, if you're not making a Steam Deck vs Switch (you literally wrote that, prompting my reply) argument, then stop using the Switch for every comparison and start using he other PC handhelds. There are other threads on the site where you can freely compare it with the Nintendo device if you want.

For some reason, we've managed to keep this thread mostly free from useless confrontations with consoles and also brands. Yes, there's always a bit of debate whenever there's a new Intel/AMD/Nvidia product, but even those are mostly safe and reasonable. I don't want to see that blown away with useless Deck vs Switch fights.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:
hinch said:

Also.. drum roll please. FSR vs DLSS comparison in Necromunda Hired Gun (4K)

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fsr-and-nvidia-dlss-comparison-shows-similar-quality-and-performance-at-4k-resolution-in-necromunda-hired-gun

FSR fares pretty well all considering! Ok so its not there with DLSS yet but its still mighty impressive and works with considerable more GPU's out there.

It will be an interesting comparison when DF does it. It is certainly one of those, yea it's not as good as DLSS but if you don't have RTX card which many still don't, it's way better than the alternative assuming TAA Upscaling isn't an option.

Yeah looking forward to seeing an in-depth DF analysis of both side by side. Truthfully FSR in its current state won't realistically catch up to DLSS due to the nature of the tech, but its works quite well in practice and that (imo) is impressive for its first iteration. It comes quite close in some ways in particular settings (like 4K Ultra) but falls apart in lower resolutions and settings. Makes me wonder how AMD will try to improve it, and what Nvidia is cooking up for their next gen DLSS.

But ya more options is always a good thing with TAAU getting adopted in more engines, FSR and DLSS.. its great to see and not just because I'm still hanging on to my 1070 xP

Last edited by hinch - on 17 July 2021

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, we already understand the appeal of the switch. It's been out for 4 years and sold 90 million. There are many reasons to get the Switch but because the Steam Deck is so new and it's concept is so unique, it's harder for people to understand it's appeal. It's why I am highlighting many of it's strengths because others are highlighting it's weaknesses and not it's strengths. You mentioned Boffer's comment, go read his and see if he highlighted any positives about the Steam Deck. I am not saying the Steam Deck doesn't have any weaknesses but I do think people are also not understanding it's strengths.

And I wasn't referring to Yuzu for BoTW. Cemu does a much better job with BoTW on PC while looking significantly better. But yes, out of the box experience for Nintendo games, it would be better on the Switch.

http://wiki.cemu.info/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Breath_of_the_Wild

"Compatibility: Perfect"

And yes, I am not saying this is a direct competitor to the switch (as I have said in an number of previous posts). It's more so a direct competitor to other PC handhelds like the GPD Win and Aya Neo.

The concept of the Deck is quite simple: it's a mid-range powered PC in a handheld form that makes it great for gaming on the go/TV and, for the first time, with a reasonable price. If there's someone who doesn't get it, then he/she doesn't get handheld gaming.

Boffer's post was a reply to Marth stating his reasons to not like it, not a description of the Deck like your posts have been. There's a clear difference there.

Ah, yes, CEMU! Playing the WiiU version of BotW instead of the Switch one. Ok.

And last, if you're not making a Steam Deck vs Switch (you literally wrote that, prompting my reply) argument, then stop using the Switch for every comparison and start using he other PC handhelds. There are other threads on the site where you can freely compare it with the Nintendo device if you want.

For some reason, we've managed to keep this thread mostly free from useless confrontations with consoles and also brands. Yes, there's always a bit of debate whenever there's a new Intel/AMD/Nvidia product, but even those are mostly safe and reasonable. I don't want to see that blown away with useless Deck vs Switch fights.

You would think but reading through many comments, plenty of people are forgetting the PC part.

Not sure what that means.

The Switch and wiiU version of BoTW are quite similar in a lot of aspects and Cemu is more mature because it has been out longer. Thanks to the enhancements that emulators provide, it will look and play better than the switch version regardless.

People have already compared the Steam Deck to the Switch in this very thread many times... And also, I said it's not a direct competitor, not that I am not going to make a comparison. We make comparisons to console hardware plenty of times in this thread before as well.

With that being said, perhaps I was a bit too aggressive with my initial post so I will give you that. So I can be more fair in the future but I do think that banning Switch vs Steam Deck is going too far as there will be many articles and videos and etc comparing them as well as comparing other PC handhelds.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah looking forward to seeing an in-depth DF analysis of both side by side. Truthfully FSR in its current state won't realistically catch up to DLSS due to the nature of the tech, but its works quite well in practice and that (imo) is impressive for its first iteration. It comes quite close in some ways in particular settings (like 4K Ultra) but falls apart in lower resolutions and settings. Makes me wonder how AMD will try to improve it, and what Nvidia is cooking up for their next gen DLSS.

But ya more options is always a good thing with TAAU getting adopted in more engines, FSR and DLSS.. its great to see and not just because I'm still hanging on to my 1070 xP

Yea, realistically AMD has a patent for what is known as GSR (Gaming Super Resolution) which should be their next generation of upscaling technology. It's their real answer to DLSS imo as it will have the whole Ai up-scaling thing.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-patents-gaming-super-resolution-is-fidelityfx-super-resolution-ready

That combined with RDNA 2 having some level of ML capabilities and RDNA 3 rumored to have their own version of Tensor Cores, I think when RDNA 3 comes out, it will be one of the main selling points.

I think FSR will go in the way of other FidelityFX stuff like CAS and etc where it's there if a developer wants it but this isn't their big zomg answer to DLSS. I think AMD's real answer to Nvidia in a lot of respects in the PC market will come with RDNA 3.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx

Around the Network

People mentioning Steam machines and forgetting that Valve didn't have direct control over who made them and when they were made, make me both laugh and die inside internally.

Steam link was also limited in it's lifespan, but let's be honest, not everyone wanted the damn thing, same goes for the Steam gamepad and their VR headset is just too damn expensive (but like other headsets it still gets game support).

The Deck is their proper attempt at decently priced hw, using their own OS, their own storefront, no 3rd party bs, no third parties running the show, or a one trick gimmick (steam gamepad, Steam link). I honestly don't get how some folks think this is going to die as fast as the Ouya, or that it has to sell as much as the Switch to be a success. I swear 90% of this site is filled with wannabe adolescent boardroom execs (seriously, the sale focus on here is almost childish and disappointing to watch).

Yuri's out here posting the sales data leaks and no one cares but us, and that's just fucking sad (for a site that's all about sales data, ppl are willingly ignoring this for some fucked reason), because in all honesty, the damn thing looks like it's making rounds in terms of pre-orders and talk about it. The device has far more talking about it than the damn Ouya. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 17 July 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:
*snip*

With that being said, perhaps I was a bit too aggressive with my initial post so I will give you that. So I can be more fair in the future but I do think that banning Switch vs Steam Deck is going too far as there will be many articles and videos and etc comparing them as well as comparing other PC handhelds.

I wouldn't ban any discussion even if the thread was mine, which isn't. I'm just reminding you that this is the PC thread, and that while it's inevitable to mention consoles every now and then, we shouldn't make an habit. 

For example, there are lots of articles on PCGamer that talk about consoles and console games that I don't post, because this isn't the place for them.

zero129 said:

With how fast Yuzu is moving id imagine that status will change by the time of release.

Now how playable Yuzu will be on Steam Deck is another question but early reports seems like it will and could even run some light PS3 games. This thing is going to be an emulation beast and thats my most exciting feature other then having a handheld PC.

And to be honest the is enough people here on the site already naming the unappealing aspects of the deck so i dont think the is much problem with Yuri's comment. However i do understand you wanting to keep this thread clean of such a thing but feel like maybe you where a bit harsh with your reply.

The faster they improve it, the better for all.

Have I been harsh? Maybe, I don't know. It's hard to gauge it when writing.

Chazore said:
*snip*

Yuri's out here posting the sales data leaks and no one cares but us, and that's just fucking sad (for a site that's all about sales data, ppl are willingly ignoring this for some fucked reason), because in all honesty, the damn thing looks like it's making rounds in terms of pre-orders and talk about it. The device has far more talking about it than the damn Ouya. 

This forum stopped being a sales based one long time ago. You only have to see how little comments do the threads about the Japan and Worldwide sales get.

Oh, and even that disaster of NeoGeo Mini got more attention than the Ouya. There's nothing special in that .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:

Yea, realistically AMD has a patent for what is known as GSR (Gaming Super Resolution) which should be their next generation of upscaling technology. It's their real answer to DLSS imo as it will have the whole Ai up-scaling thing.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-patents-gaming-super-resolution-is-fidelityfx-super-resolution-ready

That combined with RDNA 2 having some level of ML capabilities and RDNA 3 rumored to have their own version of Tensor Cores, I think when RDNA 3 comes out, it will be one of the main selling points.

I think FSR will go in the way of other FidelityFX stuff like CAS and etc where it's there if a developer wants it but this isn't their big zomg answer to DLSS. I think AMD's real answer to Nvidia in a lot of respects in the PC market will come with RDNA 3.

Cool stuff. Yeah makes sense. FSR wasn't ever DLSS's direct competitor and feels like more of a addition to FidelityFX. And a way for AMD to get their foot in the door in saying they too have their own upscaling solution. This looks to be a much more in line to what inference to what DLSS does. Interesting times, can't wait to see it and if they make it open source or not.

Also cancelled my Deck preorder... and preordered another (the 64GB model) also for Q1 next year. Prepared to tinker and add a bigger card in there.. wish me luck lol.

Chazore said:

People mentioning Steam machines and forgetting that Valve didn't have direct control over who made them and when they were made, make me both laugh and die inside internally.

Steam link was also limited in it's lifespan, but let's be honest, not everyone wanted the damn thing, same goes for the Steam gamepad and their VR headset is just too damn expensive (but like other headsets it still gets game support).

The Deck is their proper attempt at decently priced hw, using their own OS, their own storefront, no 3rd party bs, no third parties running the show, or a one trick gimmick (steam gamepad, Steam link). I honestly don't get how some folks think this is going to die as fast as the Ouya, or that it has to sell as much as the Switch to be a success. I swear 90% of this site is filled with wannabe adolescent boardroom execs (seriously, the sale focus on here is almost childish and disappointing to watch).

The funny thing about that meme is if you read the comments, it will show you how much nonsense there really is and the creator of that meme doesn't actually know anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/olmnlt/please_dont_preorder_this_at_least_wait_for_user/

Steam controller: Got updated plenty, still perfectly functional. Certainly not for most people hence why it flopped.

Steam link: The reason why the hardware got discontinued is because Valve released a software version instead for iOS, MacOS, Linux, Android, tvOS, Android TV and Samsung TV. So instead of forcing you pay for the hardware, it became literally free that can be used on a ton of TVs and devices.

Steam machines: Probably the biggest blunder Valve has done but because the computers are running Steam OS, you install Windows and they will function as normal PCs. This isn't a console situation where if there are no support for it, you don't have options.

Vive: One of the best entries into the VR space and Valve has made a successor known as Index. I don't know why anyone even thinks this is a failure.

Imo you could argue that Valve has had two failures (Steam Controller and Steam Machines) and two successes (Steam Link and Valve Vive/Index). But I think the reaction overall from a lot of PC gamers have been positive for the Deck so I doubt it will be the same as their Steam Machines/Controllers.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Cool stuff. Yeah makes sense. FSR wasn't ever DLSS's direct competitor and feels like more of a addition to FidelityFX. And a way for AMD to get their foot in the door in saying they too have their own upscaling solution. This looks to be a much more in line to what inference to what DLSS does. Interesting times, can't wait to see it and if they make it open source or not.

Also cancelled my Deck preorder... and preordered another (the 64GB model) also for Q1 next year. Prepared to tinker and add a bigger card in there.. wish me luck lol.

Lol you are braver than I good sir. Good luck with that and if you are able do it... That would be one heck of a steal! Hell depending on the games you play, you might not even need that much storage.