By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

 

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 245 61.40%
 
So soon? I just got used to the last one 13 3.26%
 
it sucks 22 5.51%
 
Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.26%
 
Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 13 3.26%
 
Meh 32 8.02%
 
Total:338
hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Some PC drama from Linus

Personally, I think the video overall is nonsense.

Gamers: Nvidia, please do something about the mining issue
Nvidia: Does something about the mining issue
Linus: They are doing it for profit, Nvidia bad

Like no duh they are doing it for profit... They are a business...

He does have one or two points which aren't bad such as CMP cards leading to a lot more e-waste but the rest is pretty cringe imo since I doubt he did enough research on it. Probably a slow news day.

To be fair Cryptocurrency is such an waste in resources and supporting it by allocating silicon to it doesn't make the situation better. Miners will eventually flood the market with cheaper GPU's once the bubble burst regualar cards will eventually make its way to consumers - though with mining nerfs who knows what will happen. These CMP cards will end up in the fill and miners will have no other alternative given that A) they go through hoops to hack cards B) only buy cards from select range which will eventually be obsolete.

This is a double whammy of waste of resources for something incredibly bad for the environment. But yeah they are a business.

Also, not only are Nvidia just covering their asses, they still aren't doing much to stop miners affecting the higher end cards, and even then, Nvidia don't clearly care if miners bypass the locks in place on those refresh cards, because either way they'll still make bank.

Those mining cards are just designed to be tossed into the scrapyard, and even then they won't be of any use recycling for materials. Nvidia, exactly like linus said, do not care for the gamers, nor recycling or the energy waste.

When you look at this from stepping back, Nvidia is still going to massively gain from this, while gamers get a half arsed attempt at a temp fix, miners still get what they want, and energy and materials are being wasted on an even bigger scale.

We know Nvidia are a business Yuri, but they shouldn't be covering their asses this hard, like super "I don't wanna suffer an inch" kind of hard. This is just desperate and wasteful penny pinching, and only two parties gain from this (both wasting resources and energy). 

This could even be a turn for the worst, if miners manage to break through and continue using both sets of cards. Something is going to have to be done about this well before years end, or the consumer market is going to suffer all the more, and recycling for materials is going to yield far less. We're already wasting enough plastic, gold and other metals as is, we don't need Nvidia ramping up the waste because they're greedy. 



Around the Network
Chazore said:
hinch said:

To be fair Cryptocurrency is such an waste in resources and supporting it by allocating silicon to it doesn't make the situation better. Miners will eventually flood the market with cheaper GPU's once the bubble burst regualar cards will eventually make its way to consumers - though with mining nerfs who knows what will happen. These CMP cards will end up in the fill and miners will have no other alternative given that A) they go through hoops to hack cards B) only buy cards from select range which will eventually be obsolete.

This is a double whammy of waste of resources for something incredibly bad for the environment. But yeah they are a business.

Also, not only are Nvidia just covering their asses, they still aren't doing much to stop miners affecting the higher end cards, and even then, Nvidia don't clearly care if miners bypass the locks in place on those refresh cards, because either way they'll still make bank.

Those mining cards are just designed to be tossed into the scrapyard, and even then they won't be of any use recycling for materials. Nvidia, exactly like linus said, do not care for the gamers, nor recycling or the energy waste.

When you look at this from stepping back, Nvidia is still going to massively gain from this, while gamers get a half arsed attempt at a temp fix, miners still get what they want, and energy and materials are being wasted on an even bigger scale.

We know Nvidia are a business Yuri, but they shouldn't be covering their asses this hard, like super "I don't wanna suffer an inch" kind of hard. This is just desperate and wasteful penny pinching, and only two parties gain from this (both wasting resources and energy). 

This could even be a turn for the worst, if miners manage to break through and continue using both sets of cards. Something is going to have to be done about this well before years end, or the consumer market is going to suffer all the more, and recycling for materials is going to yield far less. We're already wasting enough plastic, gold and other metals as is, we don't need Nvidia ramping up the waste because they're greedy. 

The thing is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining solution is going to be. If the 3060 series comes out and it's gets hacked within day 1 (or relatively soon after) and becomes a nothing burger, then I would absolutely agree that Nvidia put zero effort into it.

But the problem is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining thing is. The only thing we know is that it's being implemented at a Driver Level, at a BIOS level and at a Silicon level. But Linus in the video doesn't even know that it's being implemented that deeply.

The e-waste is the main thing I don't like about Nvidia's strategy as he is 100% correct about it. But outside of that, most of the CMP cards are supposed to be based on Turing which is a completely different fab than Ampere Geforce as Turing is using TSMC's 14nm vs Ampere Geforce is using Samsung's 8nm. So if the miners do go for the CMP, majority of the cards won't affect Ampere Geforce allocation at all which will in theory make the situation better. Especially if Nvidia's anti mining solution turns out to be good and it gets implemented through the rest of the 3000 series line up which is currently rumored to.

Instead, Linus just did a knee jerk reaction video with little effort without actually waiting to see the results. Maybe the anti mining solution will have a easy work around but we should at least wait and see how it does before burning them. Because it's consumers that wanted Nvidia to do something and I'd much rather have Nvidia or any other company try things than lie on their backs doing nothing. Cause otherwise, this mining issue will happen again, and again, and again... And I'd rather not just rely on my luck to get a GPU.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Cryptomining is such a waste of ressources



None of these companies or people care about environment. They'd burn the earth 50 times over if it means they could profit out of it. Then then can occupy mars with Elon and Linus can hitch a ride.

Also here is Crapple removing charger and other shit lord copy cats like Samsung already followed suit. In the name of environment but will cause more junk in landfills. Everything in name of PR these days. 

 

Yea not PC related but just making a point. They say one thing and doing another. Apple was also bundling a 5W charger with their $1000 phones. Again making people buy more charges. So i guess okay in that sense. Lot of the products are made so hard to repair too. Batteries are first to go and who was first to make them hard to replace. Then all others copy them. So no one is innocent. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 20 February 2021

Captain_Yuri said:

The thing is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining solution is going to be. If the 3060 series comes out and it's gets hacked within day 1 (or relatively soon after) and becomes a nothing burger, then I would absolutely agree that Nvidia put zero effort into it.

But the problem is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining thing is. The only thing we know is that it's being implemented at a Driver Level, at a BIOS level and at a Silicon level. But Linus in the video doesn't even know that it's being implemented that deeply.

The e-waste is the main thing I don't like about Nvidia's strategy as he is 100% correct about it. But outside of that, most of the CMP cards are supposed to be based on Turing which is a completely different fab than Ampere Geforce as Turing is using TSMC's 14nm vs Ampere Geforce is using Samsung's 8nm. So if the miners do go for the CMP, majority of the cards won't affect Ampere Geforce allocation at all which will in theory make the situation better. Especially if Nvidia's anti mining solution turns out to be good and it gets implemented through the rest of the 3000 series line up which is currently rumored to.

Instead, Linus just did a knee jerk reaction video with little effort without actually waiting to see the results. Maybe the anti mining solution will have a easy work around but we should at least wait and see how it does before burning them. Because it's consumers that wanted Nvidia to do something and I'd much rather have Nvidia or any other company try things than lie on their backs doing nothing. Cause otherwise, this mining issue will happen again, and again, and again... And I'd rather not just rely on my luck to get a GPU.

Linus pointed this out in that vid, about what happened before, and it could end up happening again.

Most of the time someone makes something, someone else is able to come along and modify/dismantle it. I wouldn't really think Nvidia has an invincible solution to this issue, or at least one that will outlast miners/tinker folk for long.

Sure we can wait and see, like we do for a lot of stuff in life, but you gotta realise that if they fuck this up for the second time, it'll be time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking at this differently from you and some on here, in that I'm looking at the worst case scenario first, and if it turns out to not be bad at all, then I'll know what they said was supposed to be happening (like it should when they say they are going to do something, it should be done and yield results). This is why I'm not really giving them the benefit of the doubt, because at this point, anything could happen and we've seen them get greedy before, and we can see them not doing anything about partners like Zotac taking the piss. So me expecting them to crush or tide over the mining craze, is at an all time low.

If they don't manage to squash it this time round, I really don't expect them to do something big about it again in the future, because you and I both know that they still profit from this, and like a business, they only care for money (which is ultimately a shit mantra to have, and it's why Linus is calling it as is and I think that needs to be hammered home really hard into people's skulls as to why that mantra is what it is, and that it's really shit).



Around the Network
green_sky said:

None of these companies or people care about environment. They'd burn the earth 50 times over if it means they could profit out of it. Then then can occupy mars with Elon and Linus can hitch a ride.

Going by what Elon said about Mars not "abiding by Earth's laws", and how they'll be making their own, I  am not going to be surprised when corps start moving to mars to abuse the shit out of Elon & Co's laws, and basically trying to make big profits and their own laws by the time things get started over there.



Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The thing is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining solution is going to be. If the 3060 series comes out and it's gets hacked within day 1 (or relatively soon after) and becomes a nothing burger, then I would absolutely agree that Nvidia put zero effort into it.

But the problem is, we don't know how effective Nvidia's anti mining thing is. The only thing we know is that it's being implemented at a Driver Level, at a BIOS level and at a Silicon level. But Linus in the video doesn't even know that it's being implemented that deeply.

The e-waste is the main thing I don't like about Nvidia's strategy as he is 100% correct about it. But outside of that, most of the CMP cards are supposed to be based on Turing which is a completely different fab than Ampere Geforce as Turing is using TSMC's 14nm vs Ampere Geforce is using Samsung's 8nm. So if the miners do go for the CMP, majority of the cards won't affect Ampere Geforce allocation at all which will in theory make the situation better. Especially if Nvidia's anti mining solution turns out to be good and it gets implemented through the rest of the 3000 series line up which is currently rumored to.

Instead, Linus just did a knee jerk reaction video with little effort without actually waiting to see the results. Maybe the anti mining solution will have a easy work around but we should at least wait and see how it does before burning them. Because it's consumers that wanted Nvidia to do something and I'd much rather have Nvidia or any other company try things than lie on their backs doing nothing. Cause otherwise, this mining issue will happen again, and again, and again... And I'd rather not just rely on my luck to get a GPU.

Linus pointed this out in that vid, about what happened before, and it could end up happening again.

Most of the time someone makes something, someone else is able to come along and modify/dismantle it. I wouldn't really think Nvidia has an invincible solution to this issue, or at least one that will outlast miners/tinker folk for long.

Sure we can wait and see, like we do for a lot of stuff in life, but you gotta realise that if they fuck this up for the second time, it'll be time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking at this differently from you and some on here, in that I'm looking at the worst case scenario first, and if it turns out to not be bad at all, then I'll know what they said was supposed to be happening (like it should when they say they are going to do something, it should be done and yield results). This is why I'm not really giving them the benefit of the doubt, because at this point, anything could happen and we've seen them get greedy before, and we can see them not doing anything about partners like Zotac taking the piss. So me expecting them to crush or tide over the mining craze, is at an all time low.

If they don't manage to squash it this time round, I really don't expect them to do something big about it again in the future, because you and I both know that they still profit from this, and like a business, they only care for money (which is ultimately a shit mantra to have, and it's why Linus is calling it as is and I think that needs to be hammered home really hard into people's skulls as to why that mantra is what it is, and that it's really shit).

Given enough time, sure, someone can dismantle it and etc. But the cryto boom we have seen is time limited. If the cryto boom dies by the time someone comes out with a hack, then it won't matter. The key is whether or not Nvidia's anti mining thing can last that long.

My belief in Nvidia until we see the results this time around is because they want to make more money. To them, selling an Ampere GPU to a miner or gamer makes no difference because a sale is a sale. But the problem with Ampere is that they can't make enough and they are the type of company to try and segment the cards as many ways as possible. It's why a 3090, which by all accounts is superior than a Titan V, gets heavily nerfed in certain workloads compared to the Titan V. Why? Cause they want you to buy a Titan V or Quadro if you want that type of a workload. There is no "free lunch" with Nvidia's mentality.

So to me, what they are trying to do here is the same thing. They know for a fact that even without the miners, Ampere would sell out in an instant. So what do they do? They are trying to eat their cake and have it too by resurrecting Turing from the grave and re-badging them as mining cards while nerfing the 3000 series and it's mining capabilities. That way, instead of making money from just selling Ampere cards which is already at full capacity, they can make money by selling both Ampere and Turing cards to different customers.

But yea, we will see how it goes. But I think that "just make more GPUs" and do nothing about it like what Linus is suggesting is not gonna be a good solution because they are already at full capacity.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

getting baited by linus, he does it for the money aswell not for the good of his viewers



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Chazore said:
green_sky said:

None of these companies or people care about environment. They'd burn the earth 50 times over if it means they could profit out of it. Then then can occupy mars with Elon and Linus can hitch a ride.

Going by what Elon said about Mars not "abiding by Earth's laws", and how they'll be making their own, I  am not going to be surprised when corps start moving to mars to abuse the shit out of Elon & Co's laws, and basically trying to make big profits and their own laws by the time things get started over there.

Musk also said that, given that the trip will be expensive, that they'll give loans to those that want to to go Mars, and that they'll be able to give the money back by working for them until the debt gets paid. That's not much better than slavery.

But anyway, we're derailing the thread.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:

Some PC drama from Linus

Personally, I think the video overall is nonsense.

Gamers: Nvidia, please do something about the mining issue
Nvidia: Does something about the mining issue
Linus: They are doing it for profit, Nvidia bad

Like no duh they are doing it for profit... They are a business...

He does have one or two points which aren't bad such as CMP cards leading to a lot more e-waste but the rest is pretty cringe imo since I doubt he did enough research on it. Probably a slow news day.

I agree with pretty much everything in that video. Nvidia is not doing anything about the mining issue, they are exacerbating it. They are exacerbating the supply issue, adding waste, hurting the 2nd hand market, increasing their profits and all while pretending they're doing something good for the  gamers.

If it's not malice, it's still incredible ignorant and tone deaf.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.