By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 245 61.40%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 13 3.26%

it sucks 22 5.51%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.26%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 13 3.26%

Meh 32 8.02%

Total:338

This is one of the more interesting laptops to come out of CES

It's a 13 inch laptop with a 8 core Ryzen + 1650 but it connects to the small dock which houses a 3080 Mobile. The main thing is that most Thunderbolt enclosures are big so you can't carry those around, this one on the other hand is quite small. Also because of the proprietary connection in addition to Thunderbolt, you don't have to worry about the IO taking bandwidth as the Thunderbolt connection does the IO and the proprietary connection handles the GPU bandwidth.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-announces-rog-flow-x13-ultra-portable-notebook-with-external-geforce-rtx-3080-gpu

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That may be the correct terminology but Nvidia states 1.3x none the less:

Ah, but Nvidia doesn't claim it to be 1.3 times faster. Nvidia claims it to be 1.3 times the PS5, i.e. 0.3 times faster.

'1.3x' or '1.3 times' are correct terminologies, not sure what you all are doing. '0.3 times faster' would mean it's 70% slower.

Come on, multiplying isn't that hard folks...

Captain_Yuri said:

It's a 13 inch laptop with a 8 core Ryzen + 1650 but it connects to the small dock which houses a 3080 Mobile. The main thing is that most Thunderbolt enclosures are big so you can't carry those around, this one on the other hand is quite small. Also because of the proprietary connection in addition to Thunderbolt, you don't have to worry about the IO taking bandwidth as the Thunderbolt connection does the IO and the proprietary connection handles the GPU bandwidth.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-announces-rog-flow-x13-ultra-portable-notebook-with-external-geforce-rtx-3080-gpu

Propietary connector = nope.

Given what has happened in the past, unless it's a massive success, which it won't, the next gen laptops from Asus will no longer have that propietary connector.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I think trying to find PC components and consoles have melted our brains. Especially mine.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Propietary connector = nope.

Given what has happened in the past, unless it's a massive success, which it won't, the next gen laptops from Asus will no longer have that propietary connector.

Yea longevity wise, it probably won't last but I do like the concept

Around the Network

Watching the Intel conference now, and it seems like they really can't come without cheating.

They speak so much about vPro, not mentioning that you need an Enterprise OS version (Win 10 Pro doesn't have the necessary software) to really utilize it and needs to be configurated by hand to actually make real use of it.

The comparison between the new pentium and the Mediatek 8183 is very cringeworthy and pretty much damning the Pentium by faint praise. Not only is the Mediatek chip from 2019, it was outdated back then already, sporting 4 A73 @ 2GHz plus 4 A53 @2GHz when there were already much more modern and performant ARM hardware available. And unlike Samsung, Qualcomm or Apple, Mediatek's ARM chips are pretty much run-off-the-mill. Also, it took Intel "just" 4 years to get a new Atom chip out and go from Goldmont to Tremont...

Intel faster than AMD in AI on Laptops, a workload which is normally made on a Desktop or server as there it's done in seconds, not to mention AI is generally looped, so even just a couple seconds slower can pile up quickly. So okay, who cares? Nobody? Moving on then.

Also, their constant mention of "Real Life Performance (TM)"

Finally, only 14% IPC improvement from Skylake to Rocket Lake? I sure was expecting a bit more, that won't be enough to keep AMD at bay on the long run.

haxxiy said:
Zkuq said:

Ah, but Nvidia doesn't claim it to be 1.3 times faster. Nvidia claims it to be 1.3 times the PS5, i.e. 0.3 times faster.

'1.3x' or '1.3 times' are correct terminologies, not sure what you all are doing. '0.3 times faster' would mean it's 70% slower.

No, 1.3x faster than PS5 is 100% + 130%.

1.3x as fast as PS5 is 100% + 30%

Come on, English isn't that hard, folks...

haxxiy said:
Zkuq said:

You might be right, or maybe not, but I once again realized how much I hate English (mainly due to its incoherency). 'Two times faster' is obviously twice as fast, but '50% faster' is 1.5 times as fast, no? And 50% corresponds to 0.5, so you can probably see where I'm getting confused. I think 1.3 times faster is actually correct here, but I'm going to refrain from using that because there's much less room for confusion when saying '1.5 times as fast' (or, in this case, '1.3 times as fast'). I'm glad this got cleared up though! (As an added bonus, there's a related but different kind of confusion in my native language, which doesn't really help in my case.)

Conina said:
haxxiy said:

No, 1.3x faster than PS5 is 100% + 130%.

1.3x as fast as PS5 is 100% + 30%

Come on, English isn't that hard, folks...

No, the specific inclusion of "times", which is hidden in the X, means that there is multiplication happening. You always multiply with what you have, so 1.3x faster than is 30% faster, because you multiply the value exactly with 1.3.

If you leave out the X it would be that 130% increase, but nobody talks that way because in colloquial speech you do not refer to percentage values without using the percentage suffix.

If you say "as fast as" that means you suddenly have an equation with 2 sides on your hand. Y = 1.3X. So you get the same result.

To get a 130% increase you will have to either say "130% faster" or "1.3 faster" because in that case both values represent percentages. 1.3X on the other hand is not a percentage and rather a multiplication factor.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

*** NEW CONTEST ***

HEXUS EPIC Giveaway Day 30: Win a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6800 XT: https://hexus.net/tech/features/graphics/147125-day-30-win-sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-6800-xt/

This contest is limited to UK and Europe ONLY.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.