By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

Additional Info regarding Apple subpoenas Valve as part of its legal battle with Epic: Valve fights back

https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-subpoenas-valve-as-part-of-its-legal-battle-with-epic-valve-fights-back/#article-comments

"That is, Apple wants Valve to provide the names, prices, configurations and dates of every product on Steam, as well as detailed accounts of exactly how much money Steam makes and how it is all divvied-up. Apple argues that this information is necessary for its case against Epic, is not available elsewhere, and "does not raise risk of any competitive harm.""

Valve:

Man, Apple really thinks it's gonna get all of a company's info, simply by asking, lol.

There's also no guarantee that they won't use that info against Valve in the future, via court or competition. I remember when Epic went sifting through Valve's info beforehand, and the Steam sales guy (who turned out to be Timmy's right hand man). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Take Two issues DMCA takedown of reverse engineered GTA 3/Vice City

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/lny3ih/take_two_issues_dmca_takedown_of_reverse/

I'm not sure that's a valid DMCA takedown, but I also really doubt anyone's got the resources and will to do anything about this. I kind of think it isn't valid, but reverse engineering is a bit of a problematic area in this regard. This is evident even from the license of the reverse engineered code: there was none because the people that reverse engineered the games said themselves that they don't feel like they're in a position to offer any kind of a license.

Captain_Yuri said:

Additional Info regarding Apple subpoenas Valve as part of its legal battle with Epic: Valve fights back

https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-subpoenas-valve-as-part-of-its-legal-battle-with-epic-valve-fights-back/#article-comments

"That is, Apple wants Valve to provide the names, prices, configurations and dates of every product on Steam, as well as detailed accounts of exactly how much money Steam makes and how it is all divvied-up. Apple argues that this information is necessary for its case against Epic, is not available elsewhere, and "does not raise risk of any competitive harm.""

Valve:

I'm not quite sure what Apple was thinking with that. My best guess is that they wanted to drag Valve into this because Valve is kind of in a similar position. Maybe Apple though Valve would side with them, either willfully or if dragged into this forcefully.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 20 February 2021

Zkuq said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Take Two issues DMCA takedown of reverse engineered GTA 3/Vice City

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/lny3ih/take_two_issues_dmca_takedown_of_reverse/

I'm not sure that's a valid DMCA takedown, but I also really doubt anyone's got the resources and will to do anything about this. I kind of think it isn't valid, but reverse engineering is a bit of a problematic area in this regard. This is evident even from the license of the reverse engineered code: there was none because the people that reverse engineered the games said themselves that they don't feel like they're in a position to offer any kind of a license.

Captain_Yuri said:

Valve:

I'm not quite sure what Apple was thinking with that. My best guess is that they wanted to drag Valve into this because Valve is kind of in a similar position. Maybe Apple though Valve would side with them, either willfully or if dragged into this forcefully.

It's one thing to ask Valve to side with them but what Apple is asking Valve is to give them all their insider info which is nuts!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Zkuq said:

It's one thing to ask Valve to side with them but what Apple is asking Valve is to give them all their insider info which is nuts!

Exactly.

No company on earth would do this, no company on earth would even want to do this, because you're effectively giving away any edge you have, any ideas and what works away, to your competitor.

Imagine if one day, Apple decided to give or sell all that info to the likes of Google or hell, Epic, it'd be a shitshow of legal troubles and more court cases.

Apple is likely asking for assistance, since Google is busy trying to hang and shoot itself, so they clearly aren't going to side with Apple.

Valve should just deny and ignore this tbh, because it's strictly Apple vs Epic.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Exactly.

No company on earth would do this, no company on earth would even want to do this, because you're effectively giving away any edge you have, any ideas and what works away, to your competitor.

Imagine if one day, Apple decided to give or sell all that info to the likes of Google or hell, Epic, it'd be a shitshow of legal troubles and more court cases.

Apple is likely asking for assistance, since Google is busy trying to hang and shoot itself, so they clearly aren't going to side with Apple.

Valve should just deny and ignore this tbh, because it's strictly Apple vs Epic.

Yea pretty much.

I am sure if Apple asked for logical things, Valve would be happy to side with them since on paper, the business model is similar. But Apple's request is nuts which leads me to believe they want to see if they can get a competitive edge out of it. I am sure Valve will tell the Judge they can't disclose their info and then the case will continue on.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Some PC drama from Linus

Personally, I think the video overall is nonsense.

Gamers: Nvidia, please do something about the mining issue
Nvidia: Does something about the mining issue
Linus: They are doing it for profit, Nvidia bad

Like no duh they are doing it for profit... They are a business...

He does have one or two points which aren't bad such as CMP cards leading to a lot more e-waste but the rest is pretty cringe imo since I doubt he did enough research on it. Probably a slow news day.

Captain_Yuri said:
Zkuq said:

Captain_Yuri said:

Valve:

I know, but this makes so little sense anyway that I'm not sure what Apple was thinking. My idea was that maybe, perhaps, probably not, Apple was trying to drag Valve into this somehow. If it means making ridiculous demands, good enough for Apple? But I don't really know because this doesn't make much sense to me. Lawyers doing their thing and being ignorant of the market perhaps?

Captain_Yuri said:

Some PC drama from Linus

He does have one or two points which aren't bad such as CMP cards leading to a lot more e-waste but the rest is pretty cringe imo since I doubt he did enough research on it. Probably a slow news day.

To be fair Cryptocurrency is such an waste in resources and supporting it by allocating silicon to it doesn't make the situation better. Miners will eventually flood the market with cheaper GPU's once the bubble burst regualar cards will eventually make its way to consumers - though with mining nerfs who knows what will happen. These CMP cards will end up in the fill and miners will have no other alternative given that A) they go through hoops to hack cards B) only buy cards from select range which will eventually be obsolete.

This is a double whammy of waste of resources for something incredibly bad for the environment. But yeah they are a business.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 February 2021

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Some PC drama from Linus

To be fair Cryptocurrency is such an waste in resources and supporting it by allocating silicon to it doesn't make the situation better. Miners will eventually flood the market with cheaper GPU's once the bubble burst regualar cards will eventually make its way to consumers - though with mining nerfs who knows what will happen. These CMP cards will end up in the fill and miners will have no other alternative given that A) they go through hoops to hack cards B) only buy cards from select range which will eventually be obsolete.

This is a double whammy of waste of resources for something incredibly bad for the environment. But yeah they are a business. Could be less scummy though.

But the kicker is that the bottleneck are the fabs and Ampere Geforce cards vs and most of the CMP cards are completely different fabs. Ampere is Samsung's 8nm vs most of the CMP cards are Turing which are TSMC's 14nm. So Nvidia making CMP cards in theory would make the situation better for Ampere Geforce because if the Miners go for the CMP cards, they are not taking away majority of the allocation from Ampere GeForce. It's not like Samsung will get more Silicon if TSMC produces CMP cards. If anything, TSMC will just allocate their own Silicon towards something else.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Some PC drama from Linus

This is a double whammy of waste of resources for something incredibly bad for the environment. But yeah they are a business.

Also, not only are Nvidia just covering their asses, they still aren't doing much to stop miners affecting the higher end cards, and even then, Nvidia don't clearly care if miners bypass the locks in place on those refresh cards, because either way they'll still make bank.

Those mining cards are just designed to be tossed into the scrapyard, and even then they won't be of any use recycling for materials. Nvidia, exactly like linus said, do not care for the gamers, nor recycling or the energy waste.

When you look at this from stepping back, Nvidia is still going to massively gain from this, while gamers get a half arsed attempt at a temp fix, miners still get what they want, and energy and materials are being wasted on an even bigger scale.

We know Nvidia are a business Yuri, but they shouldn't be covering their asses this hard, like super "I don't wanna suffer an inch" kind of hard. This is just desperate and wasteful penny pinching, and only two parties gain from this (both wasting resources and energy). 

This could even be a turn for the worst, if miners manage to break through and continue using both sets of cards. Something is going to have to be done about this well before years end, or the consumer market is going to suffer all the more, and recycling for materials is going to yield far less. We're already wasting enough plastic, gold and other metals as is, we don't need Nvidia ramping up the waste because they're greedy.