By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 244 61.31%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 13 3.27%

it sucks 22 5.53%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.27%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 13 3.27%

Meh 32 8.04%

Total:337
JEMC said:

You guys are too focused on the present to see the possibilities of a 3080Ti card.

First of all, the 3090 is the new Titan. They're not intended as gaming cards but aim for the prosumer market, with the option to play games when not working. The best indication of that is that the 3090 runs slower than a 3080, albeit not by much.

Now, imagine what a 3080Ti could look like: fabbed using TSMC's 7nm process, allowing it to run at 200-300MHz frequencies with the same power consumption, with the extra hardware and 12GB of VRAM. You get a card that will easily be at least 10-15% faster while still leaving the 3090 the memory capacity advantage.

Sure, they could leave the 3090 with a large memory advantage, but depending on the memory on Big Navi it could still leave some to be desired if they come up short. I'm just hoping for a proper improvement over a standard 3080, like the one I saw on the 980 and 980Ti, I've more or less decided to go with a 3080Ti, whatever it might be since it's likely to serve my purpose best.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
JEMC said:

You guys are too focused on the present to see the possibilities of a 3080Ti card.

First of all, the 3090 is the new Titan. They're not intended as gaming cards but aim for the prosumer market, with the option to play games when not working. The best indication of that is that the 3090 runs slower than a 3080, albeit not by much.

Now, imagine what a 3080Ti could look like: fabbed using TSMC's 7nm process, allowing it to run at 200-300MHz frequencies with the same power consumption, with the extra hardware and 12GB of VRAM. You get a card that will easily be at least 10-15% faster while still leaving the 3090 the memory capacity advantage.

Sure, they could leave the 3090 with a large memory advantage, but depending on the memory on Big Navi it could still leave some to be desired if they come up short. I'm just hoping for a proper improvement over a standard 3080, like the one I saw on the 980 and 980Ti, I've more or less decided to go with a 3080Ti, whatever it might be since it's likely to serve my purpose best.

We still have to see if AMD's big cache will make up for the lower memory bandwidth because, if it doesn't, the extra GB won't matter all that much.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Mummelmann said:

We still have to see if AMD's big cache will make up for the lower memory bandwidth because, if it doesn't, the extra GB won't matter all that much.

That's true. And AMD are still known for having more driver issues as well. Can't wait for tomorrow, the rumors are getting out of hand.

Mummelmann said:
JEMC said:

That's true. And AMD are still known for having more driver issues as well. Can't wait for tomorrow, the rumors are getting out of hand.

Tomorrow can end with AMD being a hero, with a product that competes head to head (or almost) with Nvidia's counterparts... or as a villain for letting us all down. Once again.

I hope it's the former, we also need proper competition in the GPU market.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

By the way, for those that are interested in those things, AMD has revealed its Q3 2020 results:

AMD Reports Q3 2020 Earnings: Making Money and Settings Records Yet Again
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16198/amd-reports-q3-2020-earnings-making-money-and-settings-records-yet-again
For the third quarter of 2020, AMD reported $2.8B in revenue, a 56% jump over the same quarter a year ago. As a result, AMD has once again set new revenue records for the company, posting both their best Q3 ever, and their best single quarter period. Driving this was further growth in both of AMD’s major segments, with everything from consumer CPU sales to EPYC and semi-custom sales reported as being on the rise.

And they also announced that they've bought Xilinx

AMD in $35 Billion All-Stock Acquisition of Xilinx
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16196/amd-in-35-billion-allstock-acquisition-of-xilinx
After a couple of weeks of rumor, as well as a couple of years of hearsay, AMD has gone feet first into a full acquisition of FPGA manufacturer Xilinx. The deal involves an all-stock transaction, leveraging AMD’s sizeable share price in order to enable an equivalent $143 per Xilinx share – current AMD stockholders will still own 74% of the combined company, while Xilinx stockholders will own 26%. The combined $135 billion entity will total 13000 engineers, and expand AMD’s total addressable market to $110 Billion. It is believed that the key reasons for the acquisition lie in Xilinx’s adaptive computing solutions for the data center market.

It wasn't that long ago that AMD had to sell parts of itself every year to keep afloat. And look at them now, buying a company for $35 billions.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

For those that, despite the current problems, will try Rocket League next week when it goes free to play AND didn't read the article about it on today's news, here' something for you:

https://www.pcgamer.com/rocket-league-goes-free-to-play-on-the-epic-games-store-next-week/

But the big cookie is the free-to-play launch that's coming next week. Rocket League is available for wishlisting on the Epic Games Store, and anyone who picks it up in the first month of Epic release will also get a $10 discount coupon for use on games and DLC in the Epic Games Store. (So even if you don't care about Rocket League, just add it to your library and get ten bucks off the next EGS thing that you do care about.) 

Not sure if it will work with those coming from Steam, and the discount only works when used in games that cost more than $15.

Reminder: if you got a $10 coupon it is only valid until November 1st.

I bought Control: Ultimate Edition with mine today... €17.99 seems okay.

Intel's leadership right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz5UbEjR9Ys

JEMC said:

By the way, for those that are interested in those things, AMD has revealed its Q3 2020 results:

AMD Reports Q3 2020 Earnings: Making Money and Settings Records Yet Again
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16198/amd-reports-q3-2020-earnings-making-money-and-settings-records-yet-again
For the third quarter of 2020, AMD reported $2.8B in revenue, a 56% jump over the same quarter a year ago. As a result, AMD has once again set new revenue records for the company, posting both their best Q3 ever, and their best single quarter period. Driving this was further growth in both of AMD’s major segments, with everything from consumer CPU sales to EPYC and semi-custom sales reported as being on the rise.

And they also announced that they've bought Xilinx

AMD in $35 Billion All-Stock Acquisition of Xilinx
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16196/amd-in-35-billion-allstock-acquisition-of-xilinx
After a couple of weeks of rumor, as well as a couple of years of hearsay, AMD has gone feet first into a full acquisition of FPGA manufacturer Xilinx. The deal involves an all-stock transaction, leveraging AMD’s sizeable share price in order to enable an equivalent $143 per Xilinx share – current AMD stockholders will still own 74% of the combined company, while Xilinx stockholders will own 26%. The combined $135 billion entity will total 13000 engineers, and expand AMD’s total addressable market to $110 Billion. It is believed that the key reasons for the acquisition lie in Xilinx’s adaptive computing solutions for the data center market.

It wasn't that long ago that AMD had to sell parts of itself every year to keep afloat. And look at them now, buying a company for $35 billions.

So Nvidia makes a massive purchase, then Intel makes a big sale, and now AMD makes a very large acquisition. Only in the year 2020.

3080ti...don't tempt me Frodo

RTX 3070 Test videos:

Linux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XaOeLPztN4

Hardware Unboxed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFAfOqTzc18

I also agree with how NVidia botched the releases intentionally to push their own Founder's Edition cards against those from their partners, which were not given enough time until release and predictably perform worse and buggier than the FE due to it. Seriously, if I were an NVidia GPU partner I'd look if I could switch to AMD or at least do both if possible.

Also second Gen RTX seems to be identical in performance to first gen, as both the RTX and DLSS performances are also in line with the 2080Ti, which has about the same raw power as the 3070. So that's a bit of a bummer.

Let's see what AMD brings tomorrow and if they can steal the 3070's thunder.