By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Stellar_Fungk said:

But why AMD Ryzen and not Intel. Intel has existed for a long time and I trust them. My old PC use to have an intel processor. But I know Nothing of AMD. And I think I’ll go with Nvidia too. My old computer used to have an intel and a nvidia.

You can typically go with Ryzen or Intel and can't go wrong with either. The benefits of Ryzen 5000 series is that they are able to keep up and often beat even Intel's best i9 10900k in gaming while giving a lower power draw. On top of that, Ryzen gives you PCI-E 4.0 vs Intel for now only gives you PCI-E 3.0.

The main benefit of going Intel right now is that those cpus are pretty easy to find as Ryzen 5000 keeps going out of stock and Intel cpus are getting pretty great discounts where you can find the Intel 10850k (10 core 20 threads) for the price of Ryzen 5800x (8 core 16 threads). Their i7s are also on sale with great prices as well.

The main reason why a ton of people are choosing Ryzen 5000 right now over Intel though is other than the competitive gaming and multi-core performance, they are also getting PCI-E 4.0 and as the CPUs/Motherboards are one of those things that people keep for 4+ years, for a lot of people, the overall platform advantage of Ryzen is worth it right now even if the CPUs are hard to find and cost a bit more than Intel's offerings.

Can't really go wrong with either though. If you feel more comfortable with Intel, they are still great cpus.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

But why AMD Ryzen and not Intel. Intel has existed for a long time and I trust them. My old PC use to have an intel processor. But I know Nothing of AMD. And I think I’ll go with Nvidia too. My old computer used to have an intel and a nvidia.

Just to be clear, AMD has been around here since the 70s. They've also been here for a long time. And, due to their position behind Intel, they've used to be cheaper than them, until their latest processors (but well, they're better than Intel's so...).

In any case, if you prefer an Intel processor, and assuming that you won't overclock it, my choice would be an i5-10600 (also 6 cores and 12 threads and similar in price) or an i7-10700 (8 cores and 16 threads).

Considering his budget limit of less than 1000€, I'd possibly even suggest the i5 10400, otherwise there's not much wiggle room for a GPU anymore. But by that point, the Ryzen 5 3600 would be clearly preferable.

Another possibility would be to wait for Rocket Lake. The names are out (and even kept the i9 around - though it's just higher locked i7 here...), the prices are just missing so far. And while Rocket lake looks to be a big improvement in IPC, the question is at what cost? The benchmarks so far are damning: The i9 ES is on par with the 10th Gen i7 in single-thread and multi-thread. Though it achieves that at a lower clock speed, it's not clear if the multi-threaded performance will be much higher due to the low clockability of the ice lake cores. Still, it's an option and it comes with a more modern platform, so it would not get outdated as fast as the skylake derived CPUs will.

BasilZero said:

Any recommendations for wireless headsets for PC gaming?

Some of my old gaming/guildie buddies from my old MMO days want to play MP games with me (Dark Souls, Borderlands, etc).

My main issue is....I have a wired headset but my Gaming Desktop is 15 ft away from my Sofa set in my media room.

I've had several headsets, but so far I only got happy with Razer, first with the Carachias 11 years ago and now with the Kraken. Sadly both are wired, but the new BlackShark V2 Pro seems to fit your bill perfectly

@Basil. I have a Arctic 7, it is proprietary bluetooth, you just connect in usb a little base and the headset connects to the latter. If you want a headset just for your computer, it has a great sound, a directional mike, I recharge while I play by hooking it to a battery.

Arctic 9 is the same, but can also connect with standard Bluetooth to your phone.

Stellar_Fungk said:

Mainly Intel Core security flaws and lack of innovation, compounded with vast overpricing, made many in the know lose trust and faith in Intel since AMD Ryzen launched in 2017. Intel even runs hotter and uses more power than Ryzen. The casuals don't really care and the gaming hardcore still have reason to go with Intel, though marginally justified, otherwise Ryzen is the way to go until Intel get's it's act together again, whenever that takes place. At least Intel's prices have come down to a more reasonable level due to strong competition.

AMD Radeon has trailed Nvidia GeForce for the last decade overall and for good reason. Nvidia is more focused and determined than Intel and didn't slack off when they've been ahead. AMD also has had to deal with CPU's and GPU's, so it's focus is split. Since the 400 series in 2016, Radeon hasn't been that bad in general based on it's price to overall performance vs Nvidia. With the new RDNA arch in the 5000 Series and especially 6000 Series now, Radeon cards have become considerably more competitive with GeForce, though Nvidia still has the edge. Radeon 6000 Series has also kept GeForce prices from getting even more outrageous with their new 3000 Series.

Around the Network

Wow, I learn so much! Thanks guys :)

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Stellar_Fungk said:

Wow, I learn so much! Thanks guys :)

I'll also point out, the reason many know and purchase Intel is because of marketing and advertising. That's not the only reason but a big one for the typical consumer. Intel figured people's mind share out long ago, while AMD only really woke up to it when they put their APU's in the 2013 consoles. Even then AMD didn't really get into somewhat serious widescale marketing and advertising until 2017 with Ryzen, which is still just a fraction of what you see from Intel.

Intel understands that with mind share and perceived trust you can get people to buy your product even if it's not the best performing, cheapest, most secure, at some period in time. You can get away with that for a while, as you pivot and/or innovate. In the past, AMD depended mostly on their products performance, like with their Athlon Series around the year 2000, to get people to buy their products, which only works if you can keep the performance crown forever, which you can't. AMD also tried simply being the cheaper alternative afterwards, but that didn't really work either. AMD needed mind share, which brought market share.

It's why you see Intel rebranding more recently. New logo's, newer jingle, new performance metrics. They're mind share and trust is fading so they're maneuvering with their advertising to try and slow the decline since they're unable to do it with their products as of late. Truth is it's been better for everyone because healthy competition leads to more innovation.

vivster said:

Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless. They have a feature that literally no other headset has, replaceable batteries. I wear it literally every single second I'm at home and wherever I am in my apartment.

That would be hell for me. My ears are very pressure sensitive and I hate wearing headphones (especially in-ears).

I love the audio solution of the Valve Index which is also used for my new VR headset HP Reverb G2: little speakers "hovering over the ears" without touching them.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Just to be clear, AMD has been around here since the 70s. They've also been here for a long time. And, due to their position behind Intel, they've used to be cheaper than them, until their latest processors (but well, they're better than Intel's so...).

In any case, if you prefer an Intel processor, and assuming that you won't overclock it, my choice would be an i5-10600 (also 6 cores and 12 threads and similar in price) or an i7-10700 (8 cores and 16 threads).

Considering his budget limit of less than 1000€, I'd possibly even suggest the i5 10400, otherwise there's not much wiggle room for a GPU anymore. But by that point, the Ryzen 5 3600 would be clearly preferable.

Another possibility would be to wait for Rocket Lake. The names are out (and even kept the i9 around - though it's just higher locked i7 here...), the prices are just missing so far. And while Rocket lake looks to be a big improvement in IPC, the question is at what cost? The benchmarks so far are damning: The i9 ES is on par with the 10th Gen i7 in single-thread and multi-thread. Though it achieves that at a lower clock speed, it's not clear if the multi-threaded performance will be much higher due to the low clockability of the ice lake cores. Still, it's an option and it comes with a more modern platform, so it would not get outdated as fast as the skylake derived CPUs will.

Well, over here in Spain the 3600 has a price of between 220 and 260 € depending of the model (regular, X or XT), the 10600 hovers around 230 € and the 10700 around 320 €.

Maybe the 10700 pushes it, but I think that all of them still leave room for a good enough GPU and the rest of the components.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

By the way, today's news may come a bit later than usual. We'll see.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.