Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 244 61.62%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 13 3.28%

it sucks 21 5.30%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.28%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 13 3.28%

Meh 31 7.83%

Total:335

Was so close to ordering a cheap 2070 Super to tide me over until next year but since we're so close to Big Navi launch, I decided to wait. Really want to see if AMD can deliver before making my decision on what to buy.

Only 11 days to go :o

Around the Network

I think what I might do is assuming the 3090 comes next week, I'll still keep it in it's box until Big Navi. I will still try to see if I can get a Strix 3080 by then. If not, big daddy 3090 it is!

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Here we go again.

Apparently there's a new mining boom, and with it, miners buying up all the GPUs, especially those from AMD.

Makes me wonder how the stocks of Big Navi will fare if miner scalpers gets their hands on them first...

haxxiy said:
JEMC said:

Yeah, that's true, but there had always been some time between AMD's new cards and the consoles launch that gave that way of working some sense. After all, the PS4/X1 launched almost 18 months after the first GCN cards and some months before the second gen cards hit the market, so it made sense use a mixed approach. The same goes for PS4 Pro/XOX, that launched years before the first RDNA cards did.

But this time both the consoles and GPUs will launch together, and so it confuses me why they didn't go with a full RDNA 2.0 design. After all, and knowing how this works, it's guaranteed that AMD has had prototypes running for many months now.

But well, maybe those rumors about Sony co-developing the chip had some ground and Sony had exclusive rights to use it for its machine, and that's why Microsoft and AMD went with a mixed design.

We will see.

The first GCN 1.1 cards launched a few weeks before the PS4/XB1, not some months after. So there's that.

I was thinking about GCN 2.0. My bad. Which cards were the ones sporting the 1.1 design?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Here we go again.

Apparently there's a new mining boom, and with it, miners buying up all the GPUs, especially those from AMD.

Makes me wonder how the stocks of Big Navi will fare if miner scalpers gets their hands on them first...

There's an article going around about how XFX China sold all its inventory of RX 5xx and RX 5xxx cards to miners, right away. Here's the article: https://videocardz.com/newz/xfx-china-allegedly-sells-almost-all-available-radeon-rx-stock-to-mining-farms

So yeah, sadly, the whole mining bullsh!t is coming back.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:
I think what I might do is assuming the 3090 comes next week, I'll still keep it in it's box until Big Navi. I will still try to see if I can get a Strix 3080 by then. If not, big daddy 3090 it is!

Yeah you have some good choices. Should you get the Strix you can always flip the 3090 for some quite dollar lol. Or choose to stick with it.

Apparently there's going to be a flood of 3080's coming into stock soon (according to MLID).

I'm just hoping I can get one of the cards this year before the scalpers and miners can.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
haxxiy said:

The first GCN 1.1 cards launched a few weeks before the PS4/XB1, not some months after. So there's that.

I was thinking about GCN 2.0. My bad. Which cards were the ones sporting the 1.1 design?

Ain't GCN 1.1 and 2.0 just different denominations for the 2nd Generation GCN?

As to which card, Bonaire, in form of the 7790, came out in March 2013 and was 2nd Gen GCN already. A couple months later, in October, the th first Hawaii XT chips came out under the  name R9 290X, as well as a rehash of Bonaire as the 260X

For the record, 3rd Gen (first just Tonga, and at a later date, Fiji) came out in September 2014, 4th Gen (Polaris, Baffin and later Lexa) came out in June 2016 and 5th Gen (Vega) came out in August 2017

JEMC said:

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Here we go again.

There's an article going around about how XFX China sold all its inventory of RX 5xx and RX 5xxx cards to miners, right away. Here's the article: https://videocardz.com/newz/xfx-china-allegedly-sells-almost-all-available-radeon-rx-stock-to-mining-farms

Yeah, saw that article also.

Wish they would just take the Polaris GPUs, then there wouldn't be much of a problem. But like this, and the way GPU prices are already going, it looks like a gaming PC is slowly going back into the direction of unaffordable (back because a high-end gaming PC was very expensive before AMD made pressure with the K6 and later Athlon. Our first PC in 1989 cost about $2000 without accounting in the inflation - and that one wasn't even high-end)

Looks like Age of Empires 3 can't get locked to 4k 60fps on a 3090. New Crysis confirmed?

Spoiler!
Nah it's a bug that causes the GPU to be under utilized

Also I'd wait before getting AoE 3 if you have an AMD GPU. Noticeably Lower performance and a horrible V-sync bug.

Last edited by Captain_Yuri - on 17 October 2020

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Ain't GCN 1.1 and 2.0 just different denominations for the 2nd Generation GCN?

As to which card, Bonaire, in form of the 7790, came out in March 2013 and was 2nd Gen GCN already. A couple months later, in October, the th first Hawaii XT chips came out under the  name R9 290X, as well as a rehash of Bonaire as the 260X

For the record, 3rd Gen (first just Tonga, and at a later date, Fiji) came out in September 2014, 4th Gen (Polaris, Baffin and later Lexa) came out in June 2016 and 5th Gen (Vega) came out in August 2017

JEMC said:

Yeah, saw that article also.

Wish they would just take the Polaris GPUs, then there wouldn't be much of a problem. But like this, and the way GPU prices are already going, it looks like a gaming PC is slowly going back into the direction of unaffordable (back because a high-end gaming PC was very expensive before AMD made pressure with the K6 and later Athlon. Our first PC in 1989 cost about $2000 without accounting in the inflation - and that one wasn't even high-end)

I don't know. 1.1 and 2.0 may be the same thing or not. In any case, I'm not having one of my best days, so don't pay much attention to what I say, it could be completely wrong... unlike the rest of the days when I'm only slightly wrong .

And yeah I'd make even more Polaris cards so that miners could use those and leave the newer cards for us.

Thanks for the heads up, Yuri. Truth be tols, I didn't liked AoE 3 back in the day (the change from sprites to polygons removed the charm of the franchise for me), and I'm still not interested in this Definitive Edition. What I want to know more of is the 4th installment!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:

Looks like Age of Empires 3 can't get locked to 4k 60fps on a 3090. New Crysis confirmed?

Spoiler!

Also I'd wait before getting AoE 3 if you have an AMD GPU. Noticeably Lower performance and a horrible V-sync bug.

pls say sike

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Spoiler!

pls say sike

Loll if only. It's weird cause if you target 60 hz, it ends up being 50fps. If you target 1440p 120hz, it's like 110. Doesn't matter how powerful your GPU is. Someone dun goofed.

If you have AMD, the performance can be 20% slower than the Nvidia GPU in the same class. If you have V-Sync on with AMD, you get royally fucked with sometimes going all the way down to 30fps with horrible stutters compared to Nvidia's 50-55 FPS.