By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So here is the full email that Hardware Unboxed as gotten:

"Hi Steve,

We've reached a critical juncture in the adoption of raytracing, and it has gained industry-wide support from top titles, developers, game engines, APIs, consoles, and GPUs. As you know, NVIDIA is all-in for raytracing. RT is important and core to the future of gaming, but it's also one part of our focused R&D efforts on revolutionizing video games and creating a better experience for gamers. This philosophy is also reflected in developing technologies such as DLSS, Reflex, and Broadcast that offer immense value to customers that are purchasing a GPU. They don't get free GPUs; they work hard for their money and they keep their GPUs for multiple years.

Despite all this progress, your GPU reviews and recommendations have continued to focus singularly on rasterization performance, and you have largely discounted all of the other technologies we offer gamers. It is very clear from your community commentary that you do not see things the same way that we, gamers, and the rest of the industry do. Our Founder's Edition boards and other NVIDIA products are being allocated to media outlets that recognize the changing landscape of gaming and the features that are important to gamers and anyone buying a GPU today, be it for gaming, content creation, or studio and stream.

Hardware Unboxed should continue to work with our add-in card partners to secure GPUs to review. Of course, you will still have access to obtain pre-release drivers and press materials. That won't change. We are open to revisiting this in the future should your editorial direction change.

Bryan Del Rizzo
Director of Global PR, GeForce"

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/kbijzo/nvidia_might_actually_be_evil_wan_show_december/

Honestly I don't fully disagree with Nvidia's statement as Hardware Unboxed stance on Ray Tracing is pure nonsense. But I do think Nvidia's wording could be better as one could interpret it as they only want Ray Tracing and nothing else. Which to be fair, they obviously do but realistically, they are obviously fine with Mostly Raster and some Ray Tracing instead of All Raster and No Ray Tracing. A reviewer should present all options to the consumer, not just the ones they see fit as that is not what PC gaming is about.

Still, I am expecting Nvidia to back-peddle at some point from all the pressure they are facing right now.

As someone who truly believes that RT is the future of gaming and not just the next 10 years but the next 50 years, I cannot fault a reviewer for going a different angle. Reviews are opinion pieces and it is vital for a wide array of different angles to be represented. Reviews from Nvidia fanboys are just as important as reviews from AMD fanboys. Might as well have a review from a person who doesn't game or thinks gaming is a lame waste of time. Those are all important angles because there are different kinds of people out there and they rely on reviews that are tailored to their position. Only then will it be possible for someone to make an educated decision of how much a product is worth to them.

That's an issue I have with game reviews for example. My taste isn't necessarily mainstream so I'd love to have reviews of people who don't gush about that lame mainstream gritty realism. As is I probably can't take any Cyberpunk review seriously or as a recommendation. I would need to read a review of a person who absolutely hates the game and glosses over all of the things other reviewers love and instead names all the bullshit I might encounter. That is much more helpful to me than a glowing review from someone who tries to be objective about it and only goes at it from a neutral or mainstream position.

Yea that's a good point. But I do think that a reviewer having that sorta bias should come with a consequence such as this. When there is such a limited supply of cards for both reviewers and consumers, a reviewer that has a strong bias such as this should be given a lower priority than a reviewer who takes a more neutral stance in terms of allocation. Especially as there are tons of new reviewers growing in popularity every day who would rather give a fair review than have a strong bias and run with it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

So my final build is looking to be like this:

Strix 3080
Ryzen 5800X
Asus Dark Hero Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB RGB
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
O11 Dynamic XL Case
Cable Mod cables
750 Watt Evga G3 Power Supply
Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler

It sure looks like a very powerful rig that will give you many hours of fun.

I'm a bit surprised by your cooler choice, with a case like that, so open and with so much glass, an AIO cooler could be seen as a better fit, at least aesthetically. Noting wrong with a Noctua cooler, tho, they're amazing... but maybe go for the black one and not the usual brown and beige if you're going to see it.

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So here is the full email that Hardware Unboxed as gotten:

*snip*

As someone who truly believes that RT is the future of gaming and not just the next 10 years but the next 50 years, I cannot fault a reviewer for going a different angle. Reviews are opinion pieces and it is vital for a wide array of different angles to be represented. Reviews from Nvidia fanboys are just as important as reviews from AMD fanboys. Might as well have a review from a person who doesn't game or thinks gaming is a lame waste of time. Those are all important angles because there are different kinds of people out there and they rely on reviews that are tailored to their position. Only then will it be possible for someone to make an educated decision of how much a product is worth to them.

That's an issue I have with game reviews for example. My taste isn't necessarily mainstream so I'd love to have reviews of people who don't gush about that lame mainstream gritty realism. As is I probably can't take any Cyberpunk review seriously or as a recommendation. I would need to read a review of a person who absolutely hates the game and glosses over all of the things other reviewers love and instead names all the bullshit I might encounter. That is much more helpful to me than a glowing review from someone who tries to be objective about it and only goes at it from a neutral or mainstream position.

I completely agree. What's more, there's a lot of times where you can learn more about the hardware, movie or game reviewed looking at harsh reviews because they usually focus on or bring out points (not necessarily problems) that the other reviews overlook or just mention casually without delving into them.

green_sky said:

There you go. 

Nvidia's latest 4k cards can do 1440p Ray Tracing at 60. Clap clap claptrap. Now send the free card to Hardware Unboxed or send one to me. 

Well, either they were already working on that video before this whole shitshow or they work really fast.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So my final build is looking to be like this:

Strix 3080
Ryzen 5800X
Asus Dark Hero Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB RGB
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
O11 Dynamic XL Case
Cable Mod cables
750 Watt Evga G3 Power Supply
Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler

I'm a bit surprised by your cooler choice, with a case like that, so open and with so much glass, an AIO cooler could be seen as a better fit, at least aesthetically. Noting wrong with a Noctua cooler, tho, they're amazing... but maybe go for the black one and not the usual brown and beige if you're going to see it.

It's more of a carry over from my current build than me getting a new one loll. If you add fans to the right side of the case, there are vents on the side which can allow air in and give a pretty good air flow according to GN.

It's a surprisingly good case for both Air and AIO as long as you add some fans to the side.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3506-lian-li-o1-dynamic-xl-case-review-benchmarks

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

It's more of a carry over from my current build than me getting a new one loll. If you add fans to the right side of the case, there are vents on the side which can allow air in and give a pretty good air flow according to GN.

*benchmarks*

It's a surprisingly good case for both Air and AIO as long as you add some fans to the side.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3506-lian-li-o1-dynamic-xl-case-review-benchmarks

Yeah, I went to the Lian-Li site and checked it there, lots of room for cooling and showing your RGB lights, if that's your thing.

For me it's too open, I prefer closed cases that are quiet, even if they look plain, like a fridge.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

*benchmarks*

Yeah, I went to the Lian-Li site and checked it there, lots of room for cooling and showing your RGB lights, if that's your thing.

For me it's too open, I prefer closed cases that are quiet, even if they look plain, like a fridge.

Yea, function over looks is always nice. Personally I wanted to wait until Next year to get a new case but my current case looks a bit obnoxious with all the red inside. It's a great case that's very functional but when I am doing a build that's this expensive, I may as well add some pzazz and bling as well loll. My only urghhness with the O11 is it's weight. See my current case is fairly heavy but it has a handle. The O11 doesn't so it will be a bit of a pain if I want to move it and etc. Luckily computers don't need to move very often.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

An odd design for sure, but it does get me thinking on it's airflow direction. I take it primary air will be passed in via the right side panel, with some air from the bottom pushing any hot air within the case towards the fans at the top, meaning the fans on the right/bottom are the ones cooling the mobo/GPU/CPU. I imagine the exhaust fan at the back will be outtake air as well?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

An odd design for sure, but it does get me thinking on it's airflow direction. I take it primary air will be passed in via the right side panel, with some air from the bottom pushing any hot air within the case towards the fans at the top, meaning the fans on the right/bottom are the ones cooling the mobo/GPU/CPU. I imagine the exhaust fan at the back will be outtake air as well?. 

It's basically like this:

You have the side panel fans flowing fresh air inside the case. You will have the CPU cooler and maybe even an exhaust fan that can be placed to the back of the case push the hot air out. You can also put fans at the bottom to cool your gpus but as far as I can tell, you don't need to based on GNs testing since the bottom side fan is good enough.

Shower thought: Imagine in what state the game was in when CDPR delayed Cyperpunk for the first time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Nvidia (Aka green morons PR team) back peddles their stance on Hardware Unboxed.

Now am gonna go back to playing games with bad reflections and shadows.

Called it.

It's almost like these companies test the water every now and again just to see the level of outrage that will happen and see what they can get away with.