By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Conina said:
Captain_Yuri said:

6000 series are pretty terrible products when you realize that AMD is asking people to spend $650/$1000 on a GPU to Turn Off settings. It's amusing how on games that use heavy Ray Tracing, even Turing does better than the 6800 XT and that's before DLSS. You know... The GPUs that everyone said will age badly?

I was going to defend them, since RX 6800 + RX 6800 XT are quite fast in the newest games (AC Valhalla, Dirt 5, Watch Dogs Legion).

So if you aren't very interested in raytracing or VR games, they will deliver a good performance for years, especially their VRAM makes them quite future proof.

Unfortunately(?) I'm very interested in raytracing reflections, raytracing shadows/lighting and in VR games.

But until they have a solution similar to DLSS to even out the performance hit of activated raytracing, I'm better off with Ampere.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-amd-radeon-rx-6800-and-6800-xt-review?page=5 

Control with RTX activated (which looks awesome!) in 1440p brings an RX 6800 down to 33 fps on average with slowndowns to 25 fps. Thanks to DLSS2.0 I'm playing Control on my RTX 3070 with RTX activated and in the highest 1440p-settings with 60 - 100 fps.

Both AC and Dirt 5 are AMD sponsored titles so it makes sense as to why those perform better on 6000 series. WatchDogs Legion seems to be on par with the 3080 on some reviews but behind on a lot of others from what I can tell unless you go 1080p. And RT is broken for Watchdogs Legion on AMD cards so I wouldn't believe any RT benchmarks.

We have seen the Vram capacity theory before many times as AMD always had more Vram than Nvidia but we have never seen it become a major factor so I doubt it will be the case outside of edge cases. Especially with the bandwidth advantage of the 3000 series as there's more to Vram than just capacity.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Months of hype to get disappointing products. Overpriced and yet all sold out. Further can't even buy them for those willing to fork out the money for whatever reason. The bad pricing becomes worse for those outside US of A.

Also some of the features only for people are on Zen 3. Bleh. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 22 November 2020

So the Dark Hero is supposed to release this week. I would say good luck but I hope you all fail so I can get one.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:
hinch said:

I wouldn't say bad at higher resolutions. Rasterization is pretty much on par at 4k and is scales better at 1440P, its just the RT performance which is a bit eh. RDNA 3 isn't a bad shout, or waiting it out for Nvidia's 7nm cards.

This new console generation means a tonne of bad ports.. so heavy brute forcing is going to be the way. Idd about the feeling of Ryzen gen 1, it a good product and competitive in a lot of ways, but not the home run. And with RT being prevalent in the next generation of games this seems like a stop gap until RDNA 3 comes out.

Isn't the consistent drop in overall performance when increasing resolution a surefire sign that they did not go wide enough? For higher resolution you need to go wide because there is more stuff to do in parallel and they obviously did not go that route. Imagine where those cards were if not for the crazy clocks. Now the big question is how well does RDNA scale horizontally. If it does then Nvidia has a big problem on their hands because they are already quite wide and don't really have much potential to go much faster until they get on a new node. They will be forced to significantly remodel their architecture.

Question into the room: How much do you think Samsung's node is at fault for the obscenely bad efficiency of Ampere? Will we be able to get double digit improvements on the Ampere refreshes on TSMC? If not, who is the most likely culprit for scratching at 500Watts?

To be fair I'm not sure what else they could have done. They could make the top Big Navi die have more CU's but that would increase silicon budget in turn add cost, power and would need a greater cooling solution/s. And Navi 21 would end up a more expensive or on par 3080, but still with lower RT performance. About scaling, RDNA scales well with more CU's as we've seen in the lineup, thus far. Next generation of cards will be interesting with both Nvidia and AMD seemingly wanting to go with chiplet designs.

In any case AMD have met their targets with performance. And Nvidia, too with top tier performance across the board. Though they went with Samsung, which kinda threw a  spanner in the works and allowed AMD to release a cards in the ballpark, which potentially can take some market share from them.

7nm will be faster as power efficiency gains will allow clocks to increase. I'm assuming Nvidia will release the big Super variants next year with 3080/3070 Supers. Akin to what they done with Turing's Super launches and potentially a 3080Ti. Not going to predict performance increase as its going to depend on Nvidia and if they are planning to have a stack ready to complete with AMD's new cards next year.

GN is only YT channel I subscribe to and watch regarding hardware reviews, for their knowledge and consistent and honest testing methodology...very informative video.

Around the Network

Yeah saw that. 93c on the probe for the RAM, which isn't great but within specifications. Hopefully there aren't any issues in the future.

~70C is pretty decent for the SOC. And looks like removing the side panels reduces temps by 5C as well, which is interesting.

In any case, there is room for improvement in thermals by adjusting the fan speed. Its a 30W one which is pretty insane. In any case I'm sure these consoles are tested in numerous test beds and conditions over the years.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 November 2020

green_sky said:

Months of hype to get disappointing products. Overpriced and yet all sold out. Further can't even buy them for those willing to fork out the money for whatever reason. The bad pricing becomes worse for those outside US of A.

Also some of the features only for people are on Zen 3. Bleh. 

I wouldn't call them disappointing and, if someone actually feels like that, it's more because he/she had unrealistic expectations.

AMD has managed to go from fighting with the 2070 with their best cards (5700XT and Radeon VII) to go head to head with the 3080 in most cases, and it's worth keeping in mind how everyone praised Nvidia for how big was the performance jump from Turing to Ampere. There's nothing disappointing in that.

Do the cards have the same features and Nvidia? No, not yet. Are they a bit overpriced? Most definitely, a 50 $/€ cut would do wonders. But overall they are very impressive products that can finally compete against Nvidia in most apples to apples comparisons.

Interesting video, Marth. PS5 users should expect a firmware update soon to make those fans spin a bt faster, and we should see some side panels from third parties with extra ventilation holes.

It will be interesting to see how the XsX perform with the more compact tower design.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

By the way, in an interview with PCWorld, AMD revealed that it's working with both Intel and Nvidia to bring SAM to those platform as well. It starts at 34:50:

https://youtu.be/uaxnvRUeqkg?t=2088

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Marth said:

PS5s memory runs really hot, close to 100°C (at 22-23°C ambiant) and the console is not that great at getting heat out.

That memory will be cooking in hot summers if you don't have AC.

That‘s why most new hardware is launched in autumn

The Monday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

GOG has two new sales:

Steam has two new deals:

At the Humble Store the Fall Sale keeps going, until December 1st.

And Fanatical has two sales:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

Vulkan 1.2.162 released, adds universal Ray Tracing support for both NVIDIA and AMD
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/vulkan-1-2-162-released-adds-universal-ray-tracing-support-for-both-nvidia-and-amd/
The Khronos Group has released a new version of Vulkan, featuring vendor-agnostic support for Ray Tracing. As such, developers using Vulkan 1.2.162 can enable Ray Tracing effects on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware.
Vulkan 1.2.162 includes the finalized versions of VK_KHR_acceleration_structure, VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline, VK_KHR_ray_query, VK_KHR_pipeline_library, and VK_KHR_deferred_host_operations.
As The Khronos Group noted, the Vulkan ray-tracing specification now has the support of AMD, Arm, EA, Epic Games, Facebook, Imagination, Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Samsung, Unity, Valve, and other stakeholders.

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

This 3.2GB Mod for Fallout 4 overhauls all of its landscape textures
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/this-3-2gb-mod-for-fallout-4-overhauls-all-of-its-landscape-textures/
Modder ‘Pfuscher’, best known for his amazing HD Texture Pack for Skyrim, has released a brand new HD Texture Pack for Fallout 4. As the title suggests, this mod overhauls almost all of Fallout 4’s landscape textures.
Going into more details, Pfuscher upscaled the diffuse (basic) textures by four times. And, in case you’re wondering, the normal maps and spec/gloss maps are the same as vanilla in size.
>> You can get this mod from Nexus Mods.

Alpha gameplay teaser trailer released for Star Wars Dark Forces Fan Remake in Unreal Engine 4
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/alpha-gameplay-teaser-trailer-released-for-star-wars-dark-forces-fan-remake-in-unreal-engine-4/
Back in August 2020, we informed you about an unofficial remake of Star Wars Dark Forces in Unreal Engine 4. And a few days ago, Shadow Art Games released an alpha gameplay teaser trailer for it. This teaser trailer will give you a glimpse at the current state of this fan remake.
According to the team, this remake is still in a very early stage. Shadow Art Games plans to add more props and fill out the base in future versions. Additionally, its next video/trailer will feature the outside perimeter.

Your Sims can play Cyberpunk 2077 right now, even if you can't
https://www.pcgamer.com/your-sims-can-play-cyberpunk-2077-right-now-even-if-you-cant/
Let's face it: your Sims in The Sims 4 probably have a better life than you do. Maybe they occasionally wet their pants and fall asleep face-down on the sidewalk, but typically they've got bigger houses, nicer furniture, more fashionable clothing, and more opportunities for WooHoo than the average flesh and blood person.
But when it comes to PC games, we've got them beat. Your sims are stuck with generic computer games like Blicblock, Road Rival, and Incredible Sports, which all sound terrible. It looks like they're having fun when they play, but that's only because they don't know the coolest PC games are out here in our dimension.
Until now. The Better Computer Games mod gives your Sims some genuinely good games, plus a sweet PC for them to play on. The PC comes with GTA 5, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Forza Horizon 4, Persona 4 Golden, League of Legends, and Monster Hunter: World. Hell, your lucky Sims can even sit down and play Cyberpunk 2077 right now, which is more than I can say for the rest of us.

GAMING NEWS

Marvel’s Avengers Patch 1.3.6 released, introduces a Ping System, fixes numerous issues
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/marvels-avengers-patch-1-3-6-released-introduces-a-ping-system-fixes-numerous-issues/
Crystal Dynamics has released a brand new update for Marvel’s Avengers. According to the release notes, patch 1.3.6 introduces a new Ping System.

Comanche Multiplayer is now free to everyone
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/comanche-multiplayer-is-now-free-to-everyone/
THQ Nordic has announced that the Multiplayer Mode for Comanche is now available for free. Everyone can simply download this new additional version of the game, familiarize him or herself with the game in the brand new tutorial, and start competing online against other pilots from all over the world. Moreover, the Comanche multiplayer experience will be completely free and will offer the full multiplayer content.

Hitman 3 will get Ray Tracing support via a post-launch update in 2021
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/hitman-3-will-get-ray-tracing-support-via-a-post-launch-update-in-2021/
IO Interactive has announced that Hitman 3 will receive Ray Tracing support via a post-launch update in 2021. In addition, the team has announced a partnership with Intel in order to further optimize the game on the PC.