By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

After 7 years of faithful service it's finally time to retire the i5-4670k. Just waiting for my new parts to arrive, was a relatively cheap upgrade.

My new build:

Motherboard - ASRock B550M Pro 4
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo Black
Ram - 16gb (2x8gb) 3600mhz
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti
Case - CoolerMaster Silencio S400
Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 500gb + Intel 730 480gb

My i5-4670k was overclocked to 4.5ghz, so while the new Ryzen will destroy it in anything using more than 4 threads I'm not entirely sure about single-thread performance which was still a beast... hopefully a bit better mainly for emulation sake.

Once games on PC start taking better advantage of higher than SATA speeds I'll shove a gen 4 NVME ssd in there. Probably sometime next year with DirectStorage coming out then.

Even in 2020 though, the only game I ever played that the i5-4670k (OC'd) couldn't manage 60fps in was the latest Assassin's Creed games (origins onwards) which dipped to 45. Amazing how long it lasted.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

My new build:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti

My i5-4670k was overclocked to 4.5ghz, so while the new Ryzen will destroy it in anything using more than 4 threads I'm not entirely sure about single-thread performance which was still a beast... hopefully a bit better mainly for emulation sake.

Once games on PC start taking better advantage of higher than SATA speeds I'll shove a gen 4 NVME ssd in there. Probably sometime next year with DirectStorage coming out then.

Even in 2020 though, the only game I ever played that the i5-4670k (OC'd) couldn't manage 60fps in was the latest Assassin's Creed games (origins onwards) which dipped to 45. Amazing how long it lasted.

Nice build and you got nothing to worry about in single thread performance.  The 3600 going to be way ahead of the 4670k.  I think you vastly underestimating how much IPC gain there was in the 6 years between the Haswell architecture and the Zen 2.

One recommendation with Zen 2 unless you just really into tweaking the CPU manually there really not much gain from OC Zen 2 manually vs using the auto OC of precision boost so for overclocking I would just turn on precision boost and call it a day.  Precision boost adapt to temperature but my guess for single core you see around 4.5ghz with it on.  A bit lower when taxing all cores. 

Edit: Note in gaming GPU going to be more of a bottle neck then CPU.  I got a ancient i7 965 in my basement (12 years old) that could hit over 60fps in many games if I throw a decent GPU in it.  I mean only 2 years ago I was doing exactly that and it was 10 years old at the time.

Last edited by Cyran - on 16 November 2020

Cyran said:
Barkley said:

My new build:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti

Nice build and you got nothing to worry about in single thread performance.  The 3600 going to be way ahead of the 4670k.  I think you vastly underestimating how much IPC gain there was in the 6 years between the Haswell architecture and the Zen 2.

One recommendation with Zen 2 unless you just really into tweaking the CPU manually there really not much gain from OC Zen 2 manually vs using the auto OC of precision boost so for overclocking I would just turn on precision boost and call it a day.  Precision boost adapt to temperature but my guess for single core you see around 4.5ghz with it on.  A bit lower when taxing all cores. 

I wanted to look into that Ryzen Clock Tuner program someone made, see if that squeezes anything out of it or at least lowers temps, but I'll try just the precision boost too.

My single thread performance concerns comes from userbenchmark.

Single Thread

i5-4670k (average) = 108 points
i5-4670k (my 4.5ghz) = 132 points
R5 3600 (average) = 130 points

So at stock it seems likely single-thread performance will be about the same as my OC'd i5, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it up a a bit which will be fine.

According to information in the capcom leak Monster Hunter Rise is apparently coming to PC October next year.

I wish I had the mental fortitude to just buy perfectly fine last gen hardware. Instead I'm sitting at home with a century old PC and brand new Case and CPU and nothing else.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
The gaming market is fine as it is. There is an abundance of games for any kind of player in any genre. If there is ever a niche it will be filled quickly. AAA studios aren't the whole gaming industry. They do what's popular and most things that are popular are terribly boring because the average human is terribly boring. Can't fault them for catering to that.

I mean yeah, RTS does get filled pretty quickly, but it's filled with not Age of Empires/C&C/SC/KKND style games though, which leaves me disappointed as a result.

I do miss the days when AAA was paying attention to the genre, because back in the 90's it was at the top with other genres like platformers and racing titles. I miss when we'd get a nice polished and chunky RTS title, or even a new Diablo ARPG. Now these days you either get an RTS that's really just copying Commandos and you've got funky gimmicks and cards like you're playing D&D (not C&C/AoE style base building) or you get a poorly executed game like Grey Goo.

The only RTS game not from a AAA studio I can think of that was god, was Planetary Annihilation, only because that managed to toss in some Supreme Comm and TA in there, as well as getting an expansion. Meanwhile Petroglyph, a studio that used to be a former AAA studio (Westwoood) was busy messing around with 8-bit armies, Grey Goo and Forged Battalion, all of which pretty much flopped or missed the mark of being actually good for years on end.

Nearly every genre gets a filling, yes that goes without saying, but I think what you're missing here is that it's not always filled with great quality. Some genres are just spammed with clones until they get dried out, others with poorly cobbled together games. I feel like the FPS genre has some quality games in the past 5 years, way more than what ARPG's/RTS got. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Let's go with the Monday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

Fall Guys has sold 10 million copies on PC
https://www.pcgamer.com/fall-guys-has-sold-10-million-copies-on-pc/
Fall Guys might have peaked in the summer, but it continues to sell gangbusters on PC. Under the point "Biggest Q3 gaming blockbusters powered by Unity", Unity's Q3 financial results reveal that Fall Guys has shifted ten million copies since release on Steam alone, three million up from the figure announced by publisher Devolver Digital three weeks after release.

GOG starts the week with a new giveaway and three new sales:

Steam has two sales:

Fanatical has four new deals:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

Steam client beta adds initial input support for PS5 DualSense controller
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-client-beta-adds-initial-input-support-for-ps5-dualsense-controller/
We've been thoroughly impressed by Sony's latest controller, the PlayStation 5 DualSense. It's got sweet adaptive triggers, and its haptic motors and microphone can combine to let you play the soundtrack to Doom. They're good for games too, apparently. And now, the latest version of the Steam client beta adds "initial input support" for it, noting that, "Advanced features such as rumble, trackpad, and gyro are not yet supported."
It's a start. Even if you're not using the beta client, using the Define Layout option in Steam's controller settings will let you plug in a DualSense and get it working, minus the advanced features. The open-source community tool DS4Windows has early support for it as well.

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

This 1.3GB Mod for Skyrim Special Edition overhauls over 253 male NPCs
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/this-1-3gb-mod-for-skyrim-special-edition-overhauls-over-253-male-npcs/
Last week, we shared an HD Texture Pack for Skyrim Special Edition that overhauls all of its creatures. And today, we are happy to bring you another overhaul mod that improves over 253 male NPCs.
Created by modder PoeticAnt44, Pride of Skyrim is a high poly head overhaul of small-town male NPCs. Now the good news here is that there are no skin textures attached to this mod. That means you will get the vanilla skin textures with this mod, something that will please most Skyrim Special Edition fans.
>> You can get it from Nexus Mods, and you’ll also need the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch to install it.

Playstation-exclusive Driver 2 gets an unofficial PC port, running at 60fps
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/playstation-exclusive-driver-2-gets-an-unofficial-pc-port-running-at-60fps/
Now here is something really cool. A team of indie developers, led by Soapy, has created an unofficial PC port of the Playstation exclusive game, Driver 2. As such, PC gamers can now enjoy this classic Driver game on modern-day PC systems and with 60fps.
In case you’re wondering, Soapy and his team have basically reversed engineered the whole game. So yeah, this isn’t an emulated version of Driver 2; this is a native PC port, similar to the unofficial PC port of Super Mario 64. Going into more details, the REDRIVER2 project builds all source code from assembly, and compile a native version for PC. This unofficial PC port makes the game playable from start to finish. However, do note that the port uses the original PSX levels and assets, so you’ll have to create an ISO from your PSX game in order to play it.
>> You can download it from Github.

This mod turns Doom & Doom 2 into open-world games
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-mod-turns-doom-doom-2-into-open-world-games/
Modder ‘ddadd’ has released a new version of his open-world mod for Doom. This latest version adds support for Doom 2, allowing you to explore its levels like a modern-day open-world game.
In case you weren’t aware of, Doom Free roam allows you to explore the worlds of Doom like never before. Instead of having a level switch to the next after completion, you can instead wander the terrain of the area you are on itself. You can go into different levels in different ways, travel through secret tunnels, buy items and weapons, and battle monsters.
According to the modder, Doom 2’s open worlds are better and more extravagant than the previous Doom 1 open worlds, with hills, lakes, and other bits of varied terrain.
>> Available from ModDB.

GAMING NEWS

Cyberpunk 2077 Achievement List leaked, contains spoilers and a “Breathtaking” achievement
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-achievement-list-leaked-contains-spoilers-and-a-breathtaking-achievement/
It appears that the achievement list for Cyberpunk 2077 has been leaked online. This leak comes straight from GOG Galaxy 2.0, so it’s the real deal.

Here are some new beautiful screenshots for Outriders
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/here-are-some-new-beautiful-screenshots-for-outriders/
Square Enix has released a new set of beautiful screenshots for Outriders. To be honest, though, these screenshots appear to be “photoshopped” (in other words they appear to be bullshots). Therefore, it will be interesting to see whether the final version will come anywhere close to these graphics.

First Godfall update released, resolves crashes and improves stability
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/first-godfall-update-released-resolves-crashes-and-improves-stability/
Counterplay Games has released the first PC update for Godfall. According to the release notes, this patch will update your game’s version to 2.0.91, and will improve stability by resolving some crashes.

Massive Capcom leak reveals Monster Hunter Rise & Stories 2 coming to PC
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/massive-capcom-leak-reveals-monster-hunter-rise-stories-2-coming-to-pc/
A massive Capcom leak has just occurred, revealing some interesting new details about Capcom’s on-going and future projects. According to the leak, Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 will be coming to the PC.
>> And Resident Evil Village launches in April.

Pre-Alpha gameplay footage revealed for the “Dark Souls”-inspired game, Bleak Faith: Forsaken
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/pre-alpha-gameplay-footage-revealed-for-the-dark-souls-inspired-game-bleak-faith-forsaken/
Miso Vukcevic and Mirko Stanic have released a new pre-alpha gameplay video for their upcoming “Dark Souls”-inspired game, Bleak Faith: Forsaken. This gameplay video will give you an idea of the game’s current state. However, this gameplay footage does not represent the quality of the final product.

Arkane’s DEATHLOOP will be using the Denuvo anti-tamper tech
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/arkanes-deathloop-will-be-using-the-denuvo-anti-tamper-tech/
Bethesda and Arkane have launched the Steam store page for DEATHLOOP, revealing that this upcoming game will be using the Denuvo anti-tamper tech. This does not really surprise us as most of Bethesda’s latest games have been using Denuvo.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Monday news, part two:

Cyberpunk 2077's fifth Night City Wire episode airs next Thursday
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077s-fifth-night-city-wire-episode-airs-next-thursday/
Cyberpunk 2077 may not be coming out next week, but CD Projekt Red isn't leaving us empty-handed. The developers will air the fifth episode of Night City Wire next Thursday, November 19th at 10 am PDT / 6 pm CET / 5 pm GMT.
>> And you'll be able to customize your teeth.

Worth celebrating: Cold War has some much improved colorblind options
https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-colorblind-options/
The breadth of Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War's PC options is pretty damn impressive, but the colorblind settings are particularly notable for our differently-sighted PC gaming friends. In Call of Duty, situational awareness is majorly important, so anyone with a color vision deficiency is at a major disadvantage if they can't glance at the minimap and get a quick read on the action. Cold War is in with the fix.
>> And the campaign also has a "non-binary" gender option.

Blood Bowl 3's closed beta touches down early next year
https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-bowl-3s-closed-beta-touches-down-early-next-year/
It's been a long off-season for fans of bloody, high-fantasy American football. But there's not too much longer to wait before the games kick off once more, as Blood Bowl 3 prepares to enter closed beta early next year.

Stardew Valley 1.5 update is 'in the home stretch'
https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-15-update-is-in-the-home-stretch/
We've been waiting for Stardew Valley 1.5 for nearly a year now—since February 2020—and you know what? That's fine, because creator Eric "ConcernedApe" Barone seems like a really good guy, and he's obviously putting a lot of time and effort into it, out of love for the game and its community. And, in case you'd forgotten, he's doing other things, too.

Say goodbye to Genshin Impact's short lived self-immolation bug
https://www.pcgamer.com/say-goodbye-to-genshin-impacts-short-lived-self-immolation-bug/
When Genshin Impact's big 1.11 update landed this week a revamped environmental damage system meant that world effects like burning grass, or electrified puddles, were doing significantly more damage than before. And when I say "significantly more damage" I mean "players with fire damage characters were routinely burning themselves alive." With the new scaling, previously-innocuous flaming patches of grass were dealing out hundreds to thousands of damage per second. Genshin Impact developer MiHoYo has decided that though they wanted to increase the damage of effects, this was not actually the desired outcome.

The humble Combat Knife dominates in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's zombies mode
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-humble-combat-knife-dominates-in-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-wars-zombies-mode/
The zombies mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is called Die Maschine, and while it's a "completely new chapter" for the secondary game mode some things will never change, and this is one of them: The Combat Knife absolutely rules. The mode has only been out for a few days, but the players have pretty quickly cottoned on to the fact that you can just stab zombies to death and nobody can stop you. The joke of secondary weapons is an absolute king in the early rounds of zombies mode.

Update: Ubisoft is adding achievements to Assassin's Creed Valhalla after all
https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-is-dropping-achievements-from-its-launcher-beginning-with-assassins-creed-valhalla/
Ubisoft recently made some changes to its online services, renaming and repackaging Uplay and the Ubisoft Club into Ubisoft Connect, and turning its subscription-based Uplay+ into Ubisoft+ (which Rich reckons still isn't worth the price of admission). Another change came with the release of Assassin's Creed Valhalla earlier this week: Ubisoft is eliminating standalone achievements in its games.
Update: An erratum posted to the Ubisoft forums says that the previous statement about achievements being unavailable on PC "was inaccurate". It states: "We are aware that achievements are not available for Assassin's Creed Valhalla players on PC - this was unintended. We are actively working to enable achievements and will keep you updated when more information is available."

Creators of the XIII remake apologize for technical issues after disastrous launch
https://www.pcgamer.com/creators-of-the-xiii-remake-apologize-for-technical-issues-after-disastrous-launch/
Developer PlayMagic and publisher Microids have issued a joint statement, saying, "expectations have not been met by the launch version and we hear loud and clear the legitimate criticism and disappointment". They apologize for the technical issues, going on to say, "In its present state, XIII does not meet our quality standards and we fully understand players' frustrations."

Party shooter Duck Game has a big update adding an 8-player mode
https://www.pcgamer.com/party-shooter-duck-game-has-a-big-update-adding-an-8-player-mode/
Had you forgotten that in the grim future of 1984 ducks with absurd weapons battle in a terrible bloodsport? You probably had. You probably had, in fact, forgotten about one of the best local multiplayer games on PC, Duck Game, released back in 2015.
Well Duck Game has not forgotten about you, dear reader. This weekend marks the release of Duck Game 1.5, a massive update adding all manner of new features to the game. Duck Game now plays up to eight people, with added eight-person levels, and can support 4 spectators on top of that. There are also six new weapons and equipment, which is a lot in a game that already has lots of weapons and equipment. Further, and not to abuse the word lots, but I'm going to abuse the word lots, there are—and I quote the patch notes here—"Lots and lots of new maps."

Cyberpunk tactical RPG Cyber Knights: Flashpoint coming from Star Traders developers
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-tactical-rpg-cyber-knights-flashpoint-coming-from-star-traders-developers/
Indie developers Trese Brothers are set to release their second game in 2021, a cyberpunk tactical RPG titled Cyber Knights: Flashpoint. Cyber Knights will interweave the story of an elite team of "hackers, mercs and thieves" with deep game systems and XCOM-esque tactical combat that includes stealth and hacking. The kicker is that the game has procedural elements, much like Trese Brothers' highly-regarded previous game Star Traders: Frontiers. These generated elements in the story and combat mean that Cyber Knights aims to be highly replayable, giving you a new cyberpunk story each time.

Yakuza producer Daisuke Sato would like to make a Sonic game
https://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-producer-daisuke-sato-would-like-to-make-a-sonic-game/
Daisuke Sato has worked for SEGA since 1994, and has been credited on a lot of games in that time. He's best-known as series producer for the Yakuza games for RGG Studio, and was the director of Yakuza 3. He's also got credits on Virtua Fighter, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero, and Streets of Rage games, as well as directing Binary Domain, but when he was interviewed as part of SEGA's 60th anniversary celebration, he mentioned one series he hasn't worked on before: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Update: Call of Duty: Cold War double XP event has been extended to two days, balance updates on the way
https://www.pcgamer.com/double-xp-comes-to-call-of-duty-cold-war-just-2-days-after-launch-as-devs-promise-balance-updates/
One of the most common complaints just here following the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War is that the weapon XP takes absolutely forever. It's all over the reddit, with lots of people blaming it for the dominance of the MP5 submachine gun in multiplayer matches. (It's also possible that the MP5 is just... overpowered. Keep reading for more on that.)
Update: Treyarch have heard the complaints about their double XP event being short, and have extended it by another 24 hours. It'll continue through to 10am on Tuesday, November 17, Pacific Time. That's 1pm EST, and 6pm GMT. Double XP is live now in both multiplayer and zombies mode.

Here's just over a minute of new Cyberpunk 2077 footage
https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-just-over-a-minute-of-new-cyberpunk-2077-footage/
Thanks to a CD Projekt Red company profile on German TV, we now have just over a minute of new footage from Cyberpunk 2077. That's it above, with all the German TV stuff carefully excised.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Barkley said:

After 7 years of faithful service it's finally time to retire the i5-4670k. Just waiting for my new parts to arrive, was a relatively cheap upgrade.

My new build:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti

Nice build you got yourself.

As an owner of an Intel i5-4670K myself, I can really see why you wanted an upgrade.

Hardware Unboxed: AMD Radeon RX 6800 launch “stock seems pretty terrible”

https://videocardz.com/newz/hardware-unboxed-amd-radeon-rx-6800-launch-stock-seems-pretty-terrible

Makes sense really considering how terrible high end zen 3 stock as been. Get your trigger fingers ready AMD fans.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850