By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I know that higher resolutions are more taxing on the GPU, my question was whether or not enthusiasts are still mostly stuck at 1080p for gaming? The most expensive CPU usually goes into the most costly systems, which include a beefy GPU. There's not much sense in building/buying a costly system with a poor or mediocre GPU.

I realize that only a minority will buy flagship GPUs, but the same goes for CPUs. How many gamers have the best CPUs you can get in their system? They sort of go hand in hand. And even with this tiny group being that much of a niche; who shouts about 600-700 fps in CS at 1080p? To even own a display that can in any way take advantage of this in any competitive setting is exceedingly rare. I imagine this to be an even smaller group of gamers. I simply don't see the big deal about improved 1080p performance at these levels. 1080p was the resolution I started playing at well over a decade ago (and that was not a very expensive rig).

As for the price of things; 4K gaming is still not anywhere near affordable on PC, the display alone will set you back the same as a complete system in many cases. But 1440p gaming is not very expensive today, my rig does it well and that's almost 6 years old now. Granted, my system was quite expensive when I got it, but building something today that outperforms it should be a breeze at only 1/2-1/3 of the cost or so.

Quick question on the same note, what do people in here consider expensive? How much is an expensive rig? 1000$, 2000$, something in between?

@Marth: If you think going beyond 1080p today is too pricey, you're hardly going to buy a 500$+ CPU, correct? That's sort of the point I'm making. As for why bother and youtube; 4/6 of those videos above are available in both 1440p and 4K, just as an example. Most of my main channels offer at least 1440p videos, and then there are streaming apps, out of the 4 I currently have, only one doesn't offer 4K and that's HBO. I realize that not everyone has a ton to spend on components and upgrades, but that only serves to underline the point I was making. For me, enthusiast-level hardware which offers gains mostly on the lower level of the spectrum of performance makes little sense to celebrate, it's kind of self-defeating from where I'm sitting. This holds equally true for any Intel product as well, of course, just to make that clear.

Around the Network

Everything below $2000 is a cheap rig. My current build is around 1600€ without CPU and GPU.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Everything below $2000 is a cheap rig. My current build is around 1600€ without CPU and GPU.

Is this with or without a display? Both the ones I had before my current one were about 1200-1400$ including a display. I didn't have nearly the same budget then as I do now (working only part-time back then).

Mummelmann said:
vivster said:

Is this with or without a display? Both the ones I had before my current one were about 1200-1400$ including a display. I didn't have nearly the same budget then as I do now (working only part-time back then).

It's without the Display. But I did buy a 2400€ TV and a 270€ monitor specifically for my new PC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Mummelmann said:

It's without the Display. But I did buy a 2400€ TV and a 270€ monitor specifically for my new PC.

Right, I remember the TV! 270€ for a monitor is quite cheap. I'm getting a new display next year, undecided on which one though, I'm keeping my eyes on everything display related up until spring//summer.

I'll be keeping my TV a bit longer, it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 or support for higher frame rates but it's a really good TV and I tend to keep them longer than other tech products. It's not like a whole lot of PS5 and Xbox Series X games will have native 4K and 120hz anyway, most AAA games are likely going to be 60hz at most (with dips far below).

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
vivster said:

Right, I remember the TV! 270€ for a monitor is quite cheap. I'm getting a new display next year, undecided on which one though, I'm keeping my eyes on everything display related up until spring//summer.

I'll be keeping my TV a bit longer, it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 or support for higher frame rates but it's a really good TV and I tend to keep them longer than other tech products. It's not like a whole lot of PS5 and Xbox Series X games will have native 4K and 120hz anyway, most AAA games are likely going to be 60hz at most (with dips far below).

270€ was literally the cheapest 4k 32" monitor I could find. Didn't care about anything but the size and price. Its main purpose is to play youtube videos and twitch streams while I'm not looking at it.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards waiting until 2022. The performance is excellent no doubt but it doesn't quite beat Intel universally but rather trades blows in gaming. Because of that, buying into a single generation platform doesn't feel right as there is no upgrade path. So because I have a 3900x, I think I am going to wait for DDR5, PCI-E 5 and see how Zen 4 does against Alder Lake in 2022.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

The news, part two:

Firefighting Simulator looks like hot stuff
https://www.pcgamer.com/firefighting-simulator-looks-like-hot-stuff/
Firefighting Simulator – The Squad is a co-op simulation for up to four players, and published by Astragon Entertainment, which sim fans may recognise as the company behind the excellent (no really!) Bus Simulator and Construction Simulator. The game has been in development for a very long time: it was first announced as Firefighting Simulator, without The Squad, way back in 2016 as an Unreal Engine title. There was a 'Showroom' demo on Steam in 2017 that let you coo over the trucks and, since then, complete silence.

Hopefully it's not rubbish like Firefighter: The Simulation.

And I am sure I will cringe at points like a single individual holding a 64mm charged line at full flow rate without any support.

Either way, will buy it when it hits the bargain bin most likely.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mummelmann said:

I know that higher resolutions are more taxing on the GPU, my question was whether or not enthusiasts are still mostly stuck at 1080p for gaming? The most expensive CPU usually goes into the most costly systems, which include a beefy GPU. There's not much sense in building/buying a costly system with a poor or mediocre GPU.

I realize that only a minority will buy flagship GPUs, but the same goes for CPUs. How many gamers have the best CPUs you can get in their system? They sort of go hand in hand. And even with this tiny group being that much of a niche; who shouts about 600-700 fps in CS at 1080p? To even own a display that can in any way take advantage of this in any competitive setting is exceedingly rare. I imagine this to be an even smaller group of gamers. I simply don't see the big deal about improved 1080p performance at these levels. 1080p was the resolution I started playing at well over a decade ago (and that was not a very expensive rig).

As for the price of things; 4K gaming is still not anywhere near affordable on PC, the display alone will set you back the same as a complete system in many cases. But 1440p gaming is not very expensive today, my rig does it well and that's almost 6 years old now. Granted, my system was quite expensive when I got it, but building something today that outperforms it should be a breeze at only 1/2-1/3 of the cost or so.

Quick question on the same note, what do people in here consider expensive? How much is an expensive rig? 1000$, 2000$, something in between?

@Marth: If you think going beyond 1080p today is too pricey, you're hardly going to buy a 500$+ CPU, correct? That's sort of the point I'm making. As for why bother and youtube; 4/6 of those videos above are available in both 1440p and 4K, just as an example. Most of my main channels offer at least 1440p videos, and then there are streaming apps, out of the 4 I currently have, only one doesn't offer 4K and that's HBO. I realize that not everyone has a ton to spend on components and upgrades, but that only serves to underline the point I was making. For me, enthusiast-level hardware which offers gains mostly on the lower level of the spectrum of performance makes little sense to celebrate, it's kind of self-defeating from where I'm sitting. This holds equally true for any Intel product as well, of course, just to make that clear.

Many sites review the processors at 1080p (and some even at 720p), so that the CPU becomes the bottleneck and they can test the real capabilities of the CPU. But yeah, nowadays those that game at FullHD are more entry level users that go for a 5600X at best.

As for your question of what's expensive, prices have gone up a notch in the last years but, not counting peripherals, I'd say that an expensive rig would be around 1500-1800 $/€. Anything more than a 2000 is very expensive.

I'd rate then as:

• Entry level_ Around 600-800 $/€. A Quad core CPU with 8Gb of RAM, something like a GTX 1060 or RX 580 and an HDD as storage, maybe even a small SSD for the OS.
  • Mid-range_ Around 1000-1200 $/€. We move to a six-core part with 16GB of RAM, a GTX 1660 or RX 5600 and full SSD for storage.
  • Enthusiast_ Between 1500-1800 $/€. An 8-core CPU with 16GB of RAM, an RTX 2070 SUPER / RX 5700XT, and NVMe drive for OS and a large SSD for the rest of the storage.
  • High-End_More than 2000 $/€. 10-core Intel or 12-core AMD processor with at least 16GB of RAM, an RTX 3080 or RX 6800XT (if they live up to the expectations), large capacity NVMe and SSD drives
  • Top of the Line... well, you know what to expect in this build of around 2500 $/€ if not more. 

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Conina said:
NyanNyanNekoChan said:

I ordered an Asus Dual model in the end from Overclockers, though that was only after having trouble authenticating my card details for an hour, resulting in me needing to give my bank a call twice before I could make a payment

Same here. Asus Dual just in case I don't get anything better the next two weeks.

I just canceled the Asus 3070 Dual I ordered last week. The shop put the order on hold and meanwhile my friend was able to get an Asus TUF 3070 OC for me.

So glad because I prefer quiet graphic cards:

And today my Ryzen 5800X order got through and is already on its way:

Last edited by Conina - on 05 November 2020