By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW ULTRA features 1.8 GHz boost clock (highest so far)

https://videocardz.com/newz/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw-ultra-features-1-8-ghz-boost-clock

For reference, the same model for the 2080 had a factory boost clock of 1860 MHz

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:
There's been a lot of rumors regarding the performance of Big Navi, but not a single one about yield problems.

But it doesn't really have to be a very big chip. The Navi 10 chip of the 5700 series is 251 mm², double that and it would still be smaller than the Ampere chip of the 3080. Of course, it's not that simple and the added ray tracing hardware will also take more space.

Not necessarily, since, for instance, Fiji was 596 mm2 versus 352 mm2 for the Tahiti chip with half as many CUs and an earlier iteration of the GCN architecture. There is a lot of machinery inside the chip that won't double with twice as many CUs. Looking at the new consoles, I'd expect less than 500 mm2 unless Big Navi includes some surprises that the consoles don't have (but I think the RT solution will be similar and use some form of minifloats).

haxxiy said:
JEMC said:
There's been a lot of rumors regarding the performance of Big Navi, but not a single one about yield problems.

But it doesn't really have to be a very big chip. The Navi 10 chip of the 5700 series is 251 mm², double that and it would still be smaller than the Ampere chip of the 3080. Of course, it's not that simple and the added ray tracing hardware will also take more space.

Not necessarily, since, for instance, Fiji was 596 mm2 versus 352 mm2 for the Tahiti chip with half as many CUs and an earlier iteration of the GCN architecture. There is a lot of machinery inside the chip that won't double with twice as many CUs. Looking at the new consoles, I'd expect less than 500 mm2 unless Big Navi includes some surprises that the consoles don't have (but I think the RT solution will be similar and use some form of minifloats).

True, true, I forgot that not everything doubles. Things like the I/O or, if the leaked pic is real, the 256-bit memory bus will ramain the same.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I have decided to wait for RDNA 2... Assuming my trigger finger doesn't tap on the buy button prematurely. One of those, they probably won't have an answer but if they do... Or if Nvidia decides to maybe lower the price of that 3090... Mmm

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hearing a lot of rumors/leaks lately about 3060 and 70 ti's due soon makes me think that 80 ti might not be far off either. Think I will (at least try to) wait til early next year to make my purchase decision.

Around the Network

Possible Big Navi leak:

256-bit
128 ROP
WTF

Most likely Navi 22 but that is one hell of a ROP count. Or it's Navi 21 but the Engineering Sample might be old which could result in a low speed bus. Some more discussions if yall want to have a look:

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 11 September 2020

Big Navi might just be a strict doubling of Navi 10 in terms of functional units... And if that's the case, it would very well explain the size of the chip + Ray Tracing cores.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shouldn't forget AMD is also just cooking qith water. Just no way I'm gonna skip RTX and DLSS for a few fps more from team Red. I doubt anyone will be disappointed with a 3080.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's less about being disappointed with 3080, specially with those performance numbers, and more so about getting the right card. What I mean by that is, if RDNA 2 turns out to be good and Nvidia releases the rumoured 20GB version... I am 100% gonna regret buying the 10GB 3080.

Like if they release the 20GB model during their refresh next year, fair enough. But the last thing I want is to buy it now and in a couple months, Nvidia releases the 20GB version. Of course, the ultimate solution would be the 3090 but that could also get a price cut if RDNA 2 is good enough.

I'm quite impatient to see what AMD has to offer - if they're targeting 3070 market (and bellow), like they used to do in some of their past battles with nVidia when they were at each others throat, and have price/performance win (which is, I believe, quite possible actually) it will be one helluva fight.