By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well two main reasons.

I want to play Cyberpunk this holiday

There's always going to be new technologies the more you wait. 3080 Ti next year 4080 the year after that, etc. I like to get in on the launch cycle so I can upgrade when the next launch comes in.

Yeah, this is more or less the deal I'd wanna go for, that is to say if I can even get a hand on a founders 3080dy Nov/Dev. 

Also I've waited this long with my 1080ti, so the jump looks a lot more decent than the 2000 series.

OT: Can someone please wake me up when AdoredTV stops working red team's shaft?. Nothing from Nvidia impresses the guy, he thinks AMD will win the entire war (he said this 3yrs ago), yada, yada. Guy reads a lot of technical info, but he just sounds like a smug AMD fan, who really wants AMD to just topple Nvidia. Like I want competition from both, but AMD ain't a pretty saint either (I wish he could see that side).

In his latest vid for the 3000 series, he even went on to say that Nvidia catching up with the latency tech as "it's good to see Nvidia finally catching up to AMD's fantastic software suite"

What "fantastic" software suite?. Where's DLSS, where's their version of GFN and GFE as well as shadowplay?. 

Yea some are getting quite silly from both sides. Personally no one really knows how it's gonna perform. Having 80 CUs really means nothing as we have seen some horrible scaling with more CUs in the past like Vega 64. But I also highly doubt it's gonna be only a 3070 competitor as some suggests. Personally I think Big Navi will end up being 5-10% slower than a 3080 in Raster.

The problem is Nvidia has kinda changed the playing field. You look at AAA games coming out:

Cyberpunk
Call of Duty
Watch Dogs
and more all have Ray Tracing.

You look at consoles, they also have ray tracing. Even games that originally didn't have ray tracing are also getting ray tracing. RT is here to stay. So now RTG needs to not only perform well on Raster but also Ray Tracing.

But then the main kicker is this. If fortnite is anything to go by. This gen still won't be a Native 4k 60fps ray tracing gen, least not in ultra settings. It will be significantly better than Turing but still not quite there imo. This is where DLSS will come into play and gives us that boost. So RTG now needs to not only catch up in Raster and Ray Tracing but needs a solid competitor to DLSS. I doubt RTG has the money and resources to do make a competitor to DLSS. If anything MS will need to be the one to really push Direct ML as they might have incentive to do it due to the Xbox Series S.

All in all though, the hill that RTG needs to climb is 3 times harder than it used to be. They catch up in Raster, cool but now every game has Ray Tracing, they catch up in Ray Tracing, cool but what about resolution and frame rate?

Still, I am not counting them out just yet.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

So resetera is having a bit of an interesting discussion when it comes to Vram usage if yall want to have a look.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vram-in-2020-2024-why-10gb-is-enough.280976/

Personally I wish Nvidia put in more Vram

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Which is why I think I'm gonna wait for the 3080ti, personally. Peace of mind for the card's longevity as much as anything else.

Captain_Yuri said:
Some of these designs are just...

The 80's are making a comeback. I noticed this a few years back with snowboarding. The 80's design's and colors were starting to show up again. While the world doesn't revolve around that obviously, almost every time there's been a significant change in boarding aesthetic design, everything else has happened to followed suit.

They're probably anticipating this and getting ahead of the game, especially with RGB LED's becoming so popular. Though I agree, the design doesn't exactly wow me either. Bit of a gamble.

This was the Big Navi card tease from quite a while back wasn't it?

Think a 12 pin PCIe connector fits in that single plug in slot?

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

So resetera is having a bit of an interesting discussion when it comes to Vram usage if yall want to have a look.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vram-in-2020-2024-why-10gb-is-enough.280976/

I totes think you or PEM should make a thread on this, because I think this is really useful and important info that can help snuff out the silly misconceptions some people on here and around the net are currently having. 

This is why I'm not all that worried about the RTX 3080, because it's a new memory type for one, and I know Nvidia wouldn't just ship out a "flagship" card, only for it to fail and burn at the start or middle of next gen gaming, because that'd be financial suicide and well, a case for the courts.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Can anyone post a short summary?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

I'll try to give a summary of the thread as there's more to it than just what's in the OP.

The short answer is, 10GB of Vram should be enough for most games.

When people look at Vram usage when they are playing a game using tools like RTSS, it's not actually representative of the actual Vram usage but rather, the Vram allocation that the game puts in. RTSS could say you are using 6GB of Vram at 4k but in reality, the game can be using half that. The reason why there's such a big allocation is because of the games being built around current APIs and hard drives in mind.

With newer technologies such as RTX IO and Direct X 12 Ultimate features like Sampler Feedback Streaming, Vram usage should only get more and more efficient than previously as the main reason to require such large amounts of Vram was due to the slowness of hard drives and less efficient features. So developers needed to put more into Vram where as now, they don't need to.

But there will be some exceptions as there are now.

Flight Sim at 4k for example can use 9GB of Vram if not more depending on the location. ID Tech engines love Vram as well since you can see significant differences between GPUs that have 8GB and GPUs that have 10GB or more but only if you are really pushing those framerates. Generally speaking, majority of the games should get a lot more efficient with Vram.

It's more likely you will run into a GPU rendering bottleneck before Vram bottleneck.

DLSS can also significantly decrease Vram usage when playing at high resolutions like 8k.

kirby007 said:

people/software = stupid

10GB VRAM = enough for at least 2 years

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Are people really saying 10GB isn't enough?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--