By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

hinch said:
vivster said:
Using the price as an excuse for less memory is a pretty dick move when there is a way too expensive card with 24GB, which according to him is way too much for anyone's needs.

The RTX 3090 is targeted more towards the prosumers and enthusiasts. There's a reason why they showcased the RTX 3080 as their main consumer grade card instead of their flagship.

Nvidia can pretty much price those any way they want, since they offer the most amount of CUDA cores and copious amount of VRAM, which is needed for work and are willing to pay for it/invest in. But I should think that 10GB of ultra fast GDDR6X will be enough for next generation of 4K gaming.

For others on the edge, there are hints of more models in the future with more ram. I don't think its personally a big deal. The 8GB on the 3070 will limit that card however somewhat in the near future.

It's still shitty for people like me who are just below the prosumer.

If I buy the 3090 I'm gonna hate myself when they release the 3080ti next year.

If I buy the 3080 I'm gonna hate myself when they release the 3080ti next year.

If I wait for the 3080ti I'm gonna hate myself because I still can't play all the cool games properly.

I just cannot win here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
hinch said:

The RTX 3090 is targeted more towards the prosumers and enthusiasts. There's a reason why they showcased the RTX 3080 as their main consumer grade card instead of their flagship.

Nvidia can pretty much price those any way they want, since they offer the most amount of CUDA cores and copious amount of VRAM, which is needed for work and are willing to pay for it/invest in. But I should think that 10GB of ultra fast GDDR6X will be enough for next generation of 4K gaming.

For others on the edge, there are hints of more models in the future with more ram. I don't think its personally a big deal. The 8GB on the 3070 will limit that card however somewhat in the near future.

If I wait for the 3080ti I'm gonna hate myself because I still can't play all the cool games properly.

I just cannot win here.

but if you buy the 3080ti the year after the 4080 will release you know

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

But he's also using current games, actually ports from PS4/X1, to defend his statement when memory demand will increase in the near future as more and more games launch on the new consoles with 4K textures and assets.

The 3080 is a powerhouse, no doubt about that, but Nvidia has also made sure to fit just enough memory for today's needs so that many users will want to jump into the next gen of cards, with more memory.

Yea makes sense. The next gen GPUs will come in 2.5 years and by then, most games probably won't use that much Vram as a lot will still be cross gen. When the main next gen games comes around, they should start to use more Vram.

I very much doubt it'll take that long for the next gen. My guess is latest early 2022. 5nm is pretty much ready to go for TSMC. It will definitely be a smaller step, but there is no point in waiting. I can only imagine AMD will also release very soon after Big Navi eventually fails.

Last edited by vivster - on 03 September 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kirby007 said:
vivster said:

I just cannot win here.

but if you buy the 3080ti the year after the 4080 will release you know

The 4080 won't beat the 3080ti by enough to upgrade.

vivster said:
hinch said:

I just cannot win here.

If you plan on upgrading when the 4000 series comes out assuming it's good, getting a 3080 would be the best bet as I highly doubt you are going to run into Vram limitations anytime soon. Nvidia has always done wonders with less Vram Capacity and Speed than AMD and Consoles. 980 Ti had less Vram than both the RX 390X and Ps4 yet it performs better than both at high resolutions as an example.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,24.html

Of course, you could also wait for the Red Team and see how they pan out.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
vivster said:

I just cannot win here.

If you plan on upgrading when the 4000 series comes out assuming it's good, getting a 3080 would be the best bet as I highly doubt you are going to run into Vram limitations anytime soon. Nvidia has always done wonders with less Vram Capacity and Speed than AMD and Consoles. 980 Ti had less Vram than both the RX 390X and Ps4 yet it performs better than both at high resolutions as an example.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,24.html

Of course, you could also wait for the Red Team and see how they pan out.

Team Red can't even get me a proper CPU on time, I'm not gonna award that by buying a terrible GPU from them.

I'm actually not too worried by the VRAM, that is just nice to have on the 3090. I would totally buy a 3090 with 10GB. I'm in it for the juicy cores.

More RT cores means more better.

HoloDust said:
From that video, Battlefield1 uses 50%, while Witcher 3 uses only 17-18% of INT math (compared to FP).
So, using games form that chart, in worst case scenario. 3080 is actually 22.5TFLOPS FP32 card, in best case scenario it's around 27TFLOPS...and of course, theoretically, it's 30TFLOPS FP32 card if no INT is used.

I guess that architecture actually makes a lot of sense, cost and effective wise, depending on the balance of FP vs INT math.

That's not how it works, since the GPU will be bottlenecked by its integer performance during rasterisation, and a number of other factors, even if you tossed infinite floats at the other side of the equation.

This is why Nvidia's own chosen benchmarks won't even double the performance of the 10 TFLOPS RTX 2080. Of course, though, a computing benchmark feeding ideal chunks of data with ideal scheduling might toss up numbers that live up to 30 TFLOPS or relatively close to it.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 03 September 2020

vivster said:

I just cannot win here.

Do you actually need a RTX 3090 though? There's only going to be about 15% theoretical difference in performance delta vs the 3080 for over twice the cost.

An 3080 will be able to play most if not all games maxed out at 4K. Nvidia even advertises the 3080 running on all their promos, which says a lot. We haven't seen the performance of the 3090 yet.

If you buy a 3080 now there's less risk since you can sell the card for at 90%+ (or even full value if the mining craze continues), when Nvidia decides to launch the 3080Ti. But in the end its your decision :P

hinch said:
vivster said:

I just cannot win here.

Do you actually need a RTX 3090 though? There's only going to be about 15% theoretical difference in performance delta vs the 3080 for over twice the cost.

An 3080 will be able to play most if not all games maxed out at 4K. Nvidia even advertises the 3080 running on all their promos, which says a lot. We haven't seen the performance of the 3090 yet.

If you buy a 3080 now there's less risk since you can sell the card for at 90%+ (or even full value if the mining craze continues), when Nvidia decides to launch the 3080Ti. But in the end its your decision :P

We'll see in the benchmarks. If the 3090 is not sufficiently above the 3080 then I'll just get the trash 3080 and use the saved money to upgrade as soon as the next proper GPU arrives.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850