By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Looks like you're really enjoying the game, Yuri.

And looks like Nvidia's rumored special power connector is actually real. I wonder how much those ar going to cost. It also makes me wonder how bad the power consumption of the new cards will be. With the special cooler and power cable, it looks like Nvidia's new cards could be real powe hogs and run hot.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if, after so many years, AMD ended with a more efficient architecture even if it doesn't reach the peformance as Nvidia's new cards? Will power consumption and efficiency remain important if Nvidia is on the losing side or will the statement change again to the only thing that matters is the performance?

Yea it is a pretty nice game mainly due to how good the visuals are. There isn't really much in terms of gameplay other than taking off, flying to somewhere and then landing. The screenshot is from reddit though and not from me personally but it's not hard to get shots like that as you have a lot of control over the game. The only problem is landing in a populated city where it tanks your framerate, specially in stormy weather with a boeing.

AMD certainly has the ability to have an edge on efficiency because TSMC's 7nm is better than Samsung's 8nm. But I think that AMD will be pushing it's RDNA 2 clocks very high to keep up with Nvidia who will also push their clocks very high. Personally I think both are gonna have crazy power consumption numbers.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 23 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

And looks like Nvidia's rumored special power connector is actually real. I wonder how much those ar going to cost. It also makes me wonder how bad the power consumption of the new cards will be. With the special cooler and power cable, it looks like Nvidia's new cards could be real powe hogs and run hot.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if, after so many years, AMD ended with a more efficient architecture even if it doesn't reach the peformance as Nvidia's new cards? Will power consumption and efficiency remain important if Nvidia is on the losing side or will the statement change again to the only thing that matters is the performance?

Yea it is a pretty nice game mainly due to how good the visuals are. There isn't really much in terms of gameplay other than taking off, flying to somewhere and then landing. The screenshot is from reddit though and not from me personally but it's not hard to get shots like that as you have a lot of control over the game. The only problem is landing in a populated city where it tanks your framerate, specially in stormy weather with a boeing.

AMD certainly has the ability to have an edge on efficiency because TSMC's 7nm is better than Samsung's 8nm. But I think that AMD will be pushing it's RDNA 2 clocks very high to keep up with Nvidia who will also push their clocks very high. Personally I think both are gonna have crazy power consumption numbers.

Then do it with an Airbus. After all. they're better .

And yeah, I'm affraid both will try to squeeze their chips as much as possible even if that means loads of power and no room for overcloking.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

kirby007 said:
JEMC said:

i never heard someone say that they care about consumption

I care, but it's mostly because when I got my PSU, I got the cheapeast quality one I could find for the PC I got because I had a fairly limited budget. I also don't want to have to upgrade my PSU once I decide to upgrade my GPU, so power consumption does actually play a part for me.

ehh point taken :) being playing with a 700w psu ever since the radeon4800 and that was the first lesson my cousin who was a real geek taught me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
JEMC said:

Hey, I undervolted my CPUs in the past to limit consumption. And I know a lot more people doing so.

JEMC said:
kirby007 said:

We visit different forums.

Back during the HD 7970 vs GTX 680, and specially once Nvidia launched Maxwell and drastically reduced the power consumption of their cards, it was a theme I read a lot of times in forums. After all, with lower power consumption comes lower heat, netter thermals that keep the card at higher clocks, more chances of getting a higher overclock, and things like that.

Was even worse with the 580. Remember all those Fermi Thermi jokes? Good times...

Spoiler!
For those who missed those times, AMD wasn't much more efficient with their 6970 vs the 580 - but the 580 generally hit 90ºC while it's Radeon counterpart stayed below 80ºC. Did I mention that the 6970 was sold at $250 while the Thermi was almost $400?
Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 August 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
kirby007 said:

Hey, I undervolted my CPUs in the past to limit consumption. And I know a lot more people doing so.

JEMC said:

We visit different forums.

Back during the HD 7970 vs GTX 680, and specially once Nvidia launched Maxwell and drastically reduced the power consumption of their cards, it was a theme I read a lot of times in forums. After all, with lower power consumption comes lower heat, netter thermals that keep the card at higher clocks, more chances of getting a higher overclock, and things like that.

Was even worse with the 580. Remember all those Fermi Thermi jokes? Good times...

Spoiler!
For those who missed those times, AMD wasn't much more efficient with their 6970 vs the 580 - but the 580 generally hit 90ºC while it's Radeon counterpart stayed below 80ºC. Did I mention that the 6970 was sold at $250 while the Thermi was almost $400?

Oh, yes. And the 580 was a big improvement over the awful GTX 480, with some even posting pics of their smoking cards.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Spoiler!

Oh, yes. And the 580 was a big improvement over the awful GTX 480, with some even posting pics of their smoking cards.

Lol I actually meant the 480 in the first place, didn't check what I was typing...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Lol I actually meant the 480 in the first place, didn't check what I was typing...

Well, both were Fermi so...

Guys, I think this pic explains why Nvidia wants that new power connector:

It's time for a PSU evolution anyway. Recently saw a video on LTT about a PSU that only delivers 12V over special connectors and leaves the conversion for other stuff for the mainboard. Seems to be pretty good for efficiency. Would be cool to just have one 12pin connector that could power every GPU.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.