By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:
IBM Reveals Next-Generation IBM POWER10 Processor

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2020-08-17-IBM-Reveals-Next-Generation-IBM-POWER10-Processor

DigiTimes: Memory Prices to Fall 10% in Q4 of 2020

https://www.techpowerup.com/271067/digitimes-memory-prices-to-fall-10-in-q4-of-2020

NAND prices going down is good for all. hopefully that fall arrives to us, customers.

Captain_Yuri said:

Also Microsoft is going to have Xbox Series X's AMD Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020 today at 6:30PM or 7 PM PST. It could give some insight into RDNA 2 and AMD's next gen APUs.

They have already gave out some slides on what to expect from the presentation.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-architecture-deep-dive

" That GPU section is, not surprisingly, massive. The full chip is 360.4mm square, with 15.3 billion transistors. Doing some quick image analysis, the GPU takes up roughly half of the die (47.5% if you want a more precise estimate)."

"A Zen 2 CPU chiplet measures 74mm square (with four times the L3 cache compared to the Xbox Series X APU), and then tack on a GPU that has more features and shader cores than Navi 10 (RX 5700 XT), which measures 251mm square. That's 325mm square without the enhanced Navi 2x cores and 12 additional CUs."

"While the chip size of the Xbox Series X is in line with previous console hardware (375mm square for the Xbox One in 2013, 367mm square for the Xbox One X in 2017), and transistor counts have more than doubled relative to the Xbox One X (6.6 billion to 15.4 billion), the die cost is higher. Microsoft doesn't specify how much higher, but lists "$" as the cost on the Xbox One and Xbox One S, "$+" for the Xbox One X, and "$++" for the Xbox Series X. As we've noted elsewhere, while TSMC's 7nm lithography is proving potent, the cost per wafer is substantially higher than at 12nm."

(This one is shorter to quote than the other one.)

I'll wait until someone does a simplified summary so I can understand it. But I've looked something: during the Turing architecture deep dive they did at Anandtech, they mention that the 2080Ti is capable of 10 GigaRays/second (page 7). That slide says that the custom XBX solution can do up to 380 G/sec ray-bos peak or 95G/sec ray-tri peak. I don't know how comparable are both metrics, but this does seem to confirm that Turing won't age well for ray tracing tasks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2020-08-17-IBM-Reveals-Next-Generation-IBM-POWER10-Processor

https://www.techpowerup.com/271067/digitimes-memory-prices-to-fall-10-in-q4-of-2020

NAND prices going down is good for all. hopefully that fall arrives to us, customers.

Captain_Yuri said:

Also Microsoft is going to have Xbox Series X's AMD Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020 today at 6:30PM or 7 PM PST. It could give some insight into RDNA 2 and AMD's next gen APUs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-architecture-deep-dive

" That GPU section is, not surprisingly, massive. The full chip is 360.4mm square, with 15.3 billion transistors. Doing some quick image analysis, the GPU takes up roughly half of the die (47.5% if you want a more precise estimate)."

"A Zen 2 CPU chiplet measures 74mm square (with four times the L3 cache compared to the Xbox Series X APU), and then tack on a GPU that has more features and shader cores than Navi 10 (RX 5700 XT), which measures 251mm square. That's 325mm square without the enhanced Navi 2x cores and 12 additional CUs."

"While the chip size of the Xbox Series X is in line with previous console hardware (375mm square for the Xbox One in 2013, 367mm square for the Xbox One X in 2017), and transistor counts have more than doubled relative to the Xbox One X (6.6 billion to 15.4 billion), the die cost is higher. Microsoft doesn't specify how much higher, but lists "$" as the cost on the Xbox One and Xbox One S, "$+" for the Xbox One X, and "$++" for the Xbox Series X. As we've noted elsewhere, while TSMC's 7nm lithography is proving potent, the cost per wafer is substantially higher than at 12nm."

I'll wait until someone does a simplified summary so I can understand it. But I've looked something: during the Turing architecture deep dive they did at Anandtech, they mention that the 2080Ti is capable of 10 GigaRays/second (page 7). That slide says that the custom XBX solution can do up to 380 G/sec ray-bos peak or 95G/sec ray-tri peak. I don't know how comparable are both metrics, but this does seem to confirm that Turing won't age well for ray tracing tasks.

Yea it's hard to tell until some actual comparisons since the way they are measuring it could be different compared to Nvidia. Either way, those who didn't buy into Turing will be glad to have Ampere/RDNA 2 instead though loll.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

There's a lot more slides that goes more in-depth. I think next gen AMD gpus might also be expensive and I am starting to think that DF's rumour about the consoles costing $600 might be a reality...

Yeah, I mean this monolithic die is huge and packing. Granted this is an APU verses the 72-80CU GPU based on Big Navi, that's gonna be pricey as well. Makes me question whether Series S is going to be $300. Its probably going to be like $400 for Series S and $600 Series X.

Sony probably went to smarter route with smaller APU and more conservative RAM. Though the cooling on PS5 and SSD is going to add a bit to the BOM.

Last edited by hinch - on 17 August 2020

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

There's a lot more slides that goes more in-depth. I think next gen AMD gpus might also be expensive and I am starting to think that DF's rumour about the consoles costing $600 might be a reality...

Yeah, I mean this monolithic die is huge and packing. Granted this is an APU verses the 72-80CU Big Navi, that's gonna be pricey as well. Makes me question whether Series S is going to be $300. Its probably going to be like $400 for Series S and $600 Series X.

Sony probably went to smarter route with smaller APU. Though the cooling on PS5 and SSD is going to add a bit to the BOM.

I can see the Series S being $300 mainly due to how many things they could cut. It's rumoured that they cut the GPU down to 4TF and the Vram down to 10GB which should already save on a ton of costs. It should mean a less costly cooler as well. Then the question is well, is it digital only? Then they don't need to bother with the bluray drive like Sony is with their digital edition. Then it's like, how about the base storage? Since MS is selling those memory cards, they can cut down the base storage to 500GB. Etc. I think if they are gonna go for the value route, they really need to go for the value route cause if the price isn't too far from Ps5 Digital and it's only 4TF, then it's a guaranteed flop.

But yea, I am starting to like Sony's position a bit more but the question is, how much is that gonna cost. If they price it $100 less than Series X, then heck yea, that's great route. If it's the same price... Maybe not so much.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

True, they can make some concessions to lower costs. If they were to make it all digital they could subsidise it with digital sales, Gamepass subscriptions and accessories. They'll need to price this one right because I have a feeling this one is going to be more popular model of the Series S / X line and will determine Xbox's success going into next gen.

So yeah its still a wait and see. Really want to see prices for both consoles and a more indepth look and teardown of the PS5. Otherwise MS have a beast of console. And if priced the same Sony just got beat. But yeah I don't play specs I play games lol. Still always interesting tech and like what I'm seeing from Series X, they really do have a decent console here.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Is it just me or do those sizes don't add up?

360mm2, out of which the GPU takes less than 50%, so only ~175mm2? I find that die size hard to believe since Navi is already produced in 7nm, has less CU and no hardware Raytracing yet was already 251mm2. If that is truly the size of the GPU part, then they would have needed to severely cut down on the cache sizes inside Navi to make it this small, I don't see what else they even could have cut.

CPU looks like cut out right of Renoir, complete with the cache size.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Is it just me or do those sizes don't add up?

360mm2, out of which the GPU takes less than 50%, so only ~175mm2? I find that die size hard to believe since Navi is already produced in 7nm, has less CU and no hardware Raytracing yet was already 251mm2. If that is truly the size of the GPU part, then they would have needed to severely cut down on the cache sizes inside Navi to make it this small, I don't see what else they even could have cut.

CPU looks like cut out right of Renoir, complete with the cache size.

I/O, Shared Caches and so forth take up a massive chunk, there is allot of consolidation of various pieces of logic when building an APU.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Captain_Yuri said:

Left my bath salts somewhere... Only need a pinch of it.

In seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised, AMD and nVidia can invest more into RT at 7nm than at 12nm. (Aka refined 16nm which is a refined 20nm.)
But like all things tech, wait for the real-world benchmarks to see where the cards fall, nVidia may have employed better techniques that drive up efficiency.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RTX 3090 rumored to cost around $2000. Jensen needs more fuel for his Ferrari's.

https://www.techpowerup.com/271081/rumor-geforce-rtx-3090-pricing-to-arrive-around-the-usd-2-000-mark

RTX 3080 coming with a 20GB variant with AIC according to Kopite.

hinch said:

RTX 3090 rumored to cost around $2000. Jensen needs more fuel for his Ferrari's.

https://www.techpowerup.com/271081/rumor-geforce-rtx-3090-pricing-to-arrive-around-the-usd-2-000-mark

Yuri will say that it's fake. It will be $2100 because of the 21 theme.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.