By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles, say sources

zuvuyeay said:
osed125 said:

They can't do it if they don't bring their games to the console ;)

But unless Nintendo made some sort of contract where they specifically say that 3rd parties can't use DRM (which I highly doubt) then it will be exact same as the PS4 and Xbox One.

i knew someone would say that :),but they will still have big TP games so why is no one involving them in the drm debate,everything is just anti sony it seems to me

Probably because Nintendo never gets multiplats, so the chances of the Wii U having DRM throw a 3rd party game is very slim, but the chance is still there.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
zuvuyeay said:
osed125 said:

They can't do it if they don't bring their games to the console ;)

But unless Nintendo made some sort of contract where they specifically say that 3rd parties can't use DRM (which I highly doubt) then it will be exact same as the PS4 and Xbox One.

i knew someone would say that :),but they will still have big TP games so why is no one involving them in the drm debate,everything is just anti sony it seems to me

Probably because Nintendo never gets multiplats, so the chances of the Wii U having DRM throw a 3rd party game is very slim, but the chance is still there.

its getting watch dogs and i'm pretty sure it will get other big games,its getting cod isn't it,batman(multiplay?),but anyway people are implying that unless you pay and pray to teh devil you won't be playing anything yet no mention of anything extra with nintendo,if this is the case then i'll  buy a WiiU,haven't done mario for a while,new zelda and plenty of other TP stuff

Above & Beyond

Hynad said:
NiKKoM said:

??? The official statement is it's up to the publishers.. Edge is picking up noises from developers and their publishers.. Why are people bringing Sony back into this while they said it's up to the publisher? Has any Publisher said anything about their DRM policy? Has any of them said no we are not doing it? is that why people are so tense?

Quite simple. Your thread title implies that Sony lied. 

While they said it's up to the publishers. That it's the same policies that are already in place on the PS3. Did you see a lot of DRMs or the current consoles? Yes, there are going to be some greedy nonsense being pushed by some of the bigger publisher, but the fact that it's not mandatory suggests that it won't be as widespread as people like you seem to want to believe. There are many developers that aren't for that kind of practice. 

Isn't that whats the article is about? EDGE picking up stuff from developers that their PUBLISHERS ARE GOING to implement DRM.. Since the publishers haven't said a thing about it yet.. This is like the first info what 3rd party publishers are going to do.. unless you or another source talked to some developers saying that their publishers aren't going to do it.. which also could be true.. and please don't confuse me with the story from edge.. I didn't write it.. the thread title reflects the Edge article.. i just read it unlike 80% of the people in this thread who are overeacting and should read the article in a normal way.. If people would take a minute to just read it properly this thread could have been what publishers could be doing instead of these 9000 "but Sony said" responses..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

ill believe Sony with this one.

If specific publishers put up restrictions how is it Sony's fault? This is exactly how it is on PS3. Nothing has changed on this matter between PS3 and PS4 and Edge runs this as a news article? Terrible sensationalist headline that creates confusion for people when Sony came out and said 100% they will not have forced DRM on their games and that only the publishers can limit their own online games in these ways.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Around the Network
Ckmlb1 said:
If specific publishers put up restrictions how is it Sony's fault? This is exactly how it is on PS3. Nothing has changed on this matter between PS3 and PS4 and Edge runs this as a news article? Terrible sensationalist headline that creates confusion for people when Sony came out and said 100% they will not have forced DRM on their games and that only the publishers can limit their own online games in these ways.

While Sony didn't lied, if some publishers do come on with DRM for the PS4, then who do you think people are going to blame? Sony.

It's true that a publishers decision won't be Sony's fault, but I bet that if EA comes out with something like "offline passes", then people will point the finger to Sony and say "They lied to me!". Hopefully people are smarter than that, but most of the cases they aren't.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Ckmlb1 said:

While Sony didn't lied, if some publishers do come on with DRM for the PS4, then who do you think people are going to blame? Sony.

It's true that a publishers decision won't be Sony's fault, but I bet that if EA comes out with something like "offline passes", then people will point the finger to Sony and say "They lied to me!". Hopefully people are smarter than that, but most of the cases they aren't.

Except Sony didn't hide that publishers can put restrictions. They never said they were forcing 3rd parties to do what Sony wants on this. I can blame the government for a bad meal if I'm stupid enough, doesn't mean that makes them culpable. 

The other thing is on PS4 if a company is doing offline DRM then you know to avoid their games if you don't want to deal with that, it's up to you. On Xbox One you're forced to deal with it on every single game whether you want to or not so better to not even buy the console if you don't want that. 

sunK1D said:
Sony is digging themselves a hole for later with their supporters. Crazy how people are so naïve to think the PS4 won't be DRM infested very shortly after launch. Kaz is basically the face of Sony and popular PS brand figure and he was nowhere to be seen for a good reason... Tretton will be taking the fallout from all these lies at E3 later and they will rework things again with Kaz like it never happened.

This is completely made up conjecture with zero evidence whatsoever. Unlike Microsoft which has come out and openly handed the world shovels to burry the Xbox One because of its anti consumer policies. 

Ckmlb1 said:
osed125 said:

Except Sony didn't hide that publishers can put restrictions. They never said they were forcing 3rd parties to do what Sony wants on this. I can blame the government for a bad meal if I'm stupid enough, doesn't mean that makes them culpable. 

The other thing is on PS4 if a company is doing offline DRM then you know to avoid their games if you don't want to deal with that, it's up to you. On Xbox One you're forced to deal with it on every single game whether you want to or not so better to not even buy the console if you don't want that. 

Exactly. But like I said people are stupid, and if publishers come out with DRM, they won't get the blame, the console manufacturer will. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Talal said:
kowenicki said:
Why do people struggle to differentiate between what a console demands and what a developer can demand.

If a developer demands that you sign into their servers once a day to continue to be able to play a game then Sony and the ps4 can't stop that.

It isn't complicated....

Pretty much. I doubt many 3rd parties would do it though. Maybe EA and a couple of others.

According to CBOAT (the "god" of Neogaf, and by god I mean the most reliable source on the internet) says that MS was the one pushing DRM and the cloud thing, and that EA and Ubisoft were fully supporting it, with Activision being on the fence. 

If this guy is right (which he is 95% of the time) that means, at least at the beginning, EA and Ubisoft will be doing some sort of DRM, with other publishers who might follow suit later.

One thing doesn't imply the other. Whether or not EA and Ubisoft supported the DRM measures by Microsoft doesn't directly mean that their games are all going to be locked from second hand purchase and renting. If they do follow that path then people can decide to not buy their games and buy the games of their competitors on the system. There's already a backlash against Microsoft for their console choices, if EA and Ubisoft are the only companies blocking used games and rentals on the PS4, I'm sure that will result in a backlash of its own.