By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter: Sony “Almost Certainly” Making a Profit on $399 PS4

Along with the #NoDRM announcement, the PS4′s $399 price tag blew the audience away – especially when the weaker Xbox One costs $499.

But Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter doesn’t believe that Sony is selling the console at a loss, like they did with the PS3. He told GT:

I think they are almost certainly making a profit there. A $399 retail price tag is about $370-375 at wholesale… our add up on the costs of materials is about $325, so I think they make a little bit of money, $25-55. And I think Sony has to make a profit, the corporation is not doing well financially, I don’t think there’d be any tolerance internally to sell anything at a loss.

Does this mean that Sony will finally be able to start making some money? Should Sony sell it even cheaper to hurt the Xbox even more? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Playstationlifestyle

Around the Network

Oh crap selling at a major loss confirmed.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I'd say the GPU+RAM alone would cost about $350...

Breaking even on hardware. No profit I'm positive.

Selling at loss confirmed, PS3 profit to pick up slack.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

They probably break about even here

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

If this is true.

Congratulations to the Mark Cerny and the engineers who projected PS4. What a wonderful work you accomplished.

Oh dear. Sony should be reaching for the bankruptcy forms if Patcher is saying good things about them

Break even, small loss most likely. Profit is highly unlikely for me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

guess we will have to wait and see

if it was anyone else but Patcher I would've believed it :(