By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don´t cry for Microsoft just yet.

Will Xbox One turn a profit?

Yes. 118 43.54%

No. 123 45.39%

Skid Row is nothing without Sebastian Bach. 28 10.33%

Total:269
VGKing said:
Just because something is intended for a casual audience, it doesn't mean they will embrace it.

I just don't think Kinect will be a selling point for the Xbox One. People are also severely overestimating the appeal of the TV/Entertainment services of Xbox One.

We should nickname it THE XONE,like  X-One (X1), kinda sexy. Xbox One is an ugly name.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Just because something is intended for a casual audience, it doesn't mean they will embrace it.

I just don't think Kinect will be a selling point for the Xbox One. People are also severely overestimating the appeal of the TV/Entertainment services of Xbox One.

I agree with this. Already there is so much competition from other TV devices. Apple has their Apple TV, and Samsung has their smart TV's which do similar things as the Xbox One and Google is making a TV device as well. And moreover, less and less people are watching TV live every year, so I doubt the Xbox One's TV functions will make the Xbox One sell millions of units. Even the current Apple TV has quite low sales. 

Also I think the Kinect 2.0 won't be anywhere near as succesful as the first Kinect was, since it only offers a small upgrade on the original Kinect and doesn't have any revolutionary features. They need a new gimmick to get casuals to get the Xbox One and I don't think TV and an improved Kinect are going to make the Xbox One successful. The PS Eye as well won't attract casuals to the PS4 because it isn't a revolutionary device. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
VGKing said:

I agree with this. Already there is so much competition from other TV devices. Apple has their Apple TV, and Samsung has their smart TV's which do similar things as the Xbox One and Google is making a TV device as well. And moreover, less and less people are watching TV live every year, so I doubt the Xbox One's TV functions will make the Xbox One sell millions of units. Even the current Apple TV has quite low sales. 

Also I think the Kinect 2.0 won't be anywhere near as succesful as the first Kinect was, since it only offers a small upgrade on the original Kinect and doesn't have any revolutionary features. They need a new gimmick to get casuals to get the Xbox One and I don't think TV and an improved Kinect are going to make the Xbox One successful. The PS Eye as well won't attract casuals to the PS4 because it isn't a revolutionary device. 

Thats not even mentioning that most of those features will be useless outside of the US anyway, at least for now. Hell it will be useless if you dont have a good internet connection.

oniyide said:

Thats not even mentioning that most of those features will be useless outside of the US anyway, at least for now. Hell it will be useless if you dont have a good internet connection.

True. I guess Microsoft is mainly targetting people in regions where the Xbox 360 sold well (North America and the UK). They are most likely not going to bother bringing the TV features and forming partnerships with game retailers in most other countries. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

oniyide said:
ultraslick said:
Do not underestimate Microsoft, they will throw money at the Xbone to ensure it sells. Remember how viciously Microsoft can market their games? How quickly we all seem to forget how they will get timed exclusives, probably something like Metal Gear Solid. They will hit hard, Halo Reborn will be on the side of every Mountain Dew can.

They will find a way to get a bunch of EA exclusives, and if need be, Micrsoft would take huge losses to essentially give these boxes away because they know a monthly live fee will be coming their way. They will shamelessly partner up: install DirecTV, get a $99 Xbox One! buy a windows laptop, get a $99 Xbox One!

Most people are idiots, and Microsoft is counting on that

dark but true, and IMHO, they might be proven right...again.

I bought a OG Xbox and a 360. You're calling me an idiot because............?

Around the Network
VGKing said:

Have you had the chance to enjoy your media on your tv with just the sound of your voice? Its great. Kinect, or similar devices are going to be the next interface (besides keyboard and mouse, and touch) for pc and pc like devices. As they get better at recognizing voices and accents it wil be more stream. It was a selling point for the iphone (siri) it works great already with kinect 1. I cant wait for kinect 2.

WagnerPaiva said:

Don´t cry for Microsoft just yet.

Source: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Digital_Downloads_and_Installs

Just saw this "How Does Buying Digital Games Work on Xbox One?" article on IGN, did not even read, just thought to myself: "here it comes, more crap".

Then I realise: Microsoft is in a VERY GOOD situation: everybody is so pessimistic about them after all that Xbox One reveal disaster that there is no place to go but up.

Everything positive they say in E3 will sound like a uncanny blessing from the skyes.

Sony may profit from the MS mistakes, but, if the name of the game is profit, the future is also looking pretty good for MS.

Some of the hardcore gamers will jump ship to Sony, but the casual Call of Duty/Fifa gamers will embrace Xbox One like always, and they are strong in numbers, make no mistake. 

Also, the SUPER casual will flock like sheep to the Kinect 2, which is also a sure bet if you want to make a quick buck.

And, last, but not least, the NON-GAMERS will want the TV-Sports-Go-Home stuff, not all of them, but, enough to give MS another healthy source of income.

That said, MS may have angered SOME of the gaming comunity, but, profit is as sure as rain in the company future.

It didn't really turn out that way, did it?