By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don´t cry for Microsoft just yet.

Will Xbox One turn a profit?

Yes. 118 43.54%

No. 123 45.39%

Skid Row is nothing without Sebastian Bach. 28 10.33%

Total:269
Mr Puggsly said:

Sure, go ask door by door. It'll be more productive than whining about MS on the interweb.

Fable: The Journey was a failure (but I still enjoyed it). Every game Sony released in 2012 was a failure. These things happen.

Bursting your Kinect bubble with numbers is whining ?

(and don't worry, I will not report you for that inaccurate, inflammatory 2012 generalization failure thing, you were upset I get it, these things happen)

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sure, go ask door by door. It'll be more productive than whining about MS on the interweb.

Fable: The Journey was a failure (but I still enjoyed it). Every game Sony released in 2012 was a failure. These things happen.

(and don't worry, I will not report you for that inaccurate, inflammatory 2012 generalization failure thing, you were upset I get it, these things happen)

How are you bursting my bubble? The Kinect has sold amazingly and continues to sell well. Deal with it.

Okay, I take it back. Everything Sony released in 2012 had poor sales except their annual baseball game. Their annual "copy-pasta" game. :-p

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Mr Puggsly said:

How are you bursting my bubble? The Kinect has sold amazingly and continues to sell well. Deal with it.

Okay, I take it back. Everything Sony released in 2012 had poor sales except their annual baseball game. Their annual "copy-pasta" game. :-p

this is pure ownage right here.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I've read through this thread 3 times and I'm struggling to find a link between what was posted in the OP and discussing everything from motion-controlled games which bombed to the objective of racing games to Sony's 2012 published title lineup.

Either way, consider this an informal warning to cool it down before I start handing out moderations. Thanks!

WagnerPaiva said:

Then I realise: Microsoft is in a VERY GOOD situation: everybody is so pessimistic about them after all that Xbox One reveal disaster that there is no place to go but up.

Everything positive they say in E3 will sound like a uncanny blessing from the skyes.

Sony may profit from the MS mistakes, but, if the name of the game is profit, the future is also looking pretty good for MS.

Some of the hardcore gamers will jump ship to Sony, but the casual Call of Duty/Fifa gamers will embrace Xbox One like always, and they are strong in numbers, make no mistake. 

Also, the SUPER casual will flock like sheep to the Kinect 2, which is also a sure bet if you want to make a quick buck.

And, last, but not least, the NON-GAMERS will want the TV-Sports-Go-Home stuff, not all of them, but, enough to give MS another healthy source of income.

That said, MS may have angered SOME of the gaming comunity, but, profit is as sure as rain in the company future.

1) It doesn't really work like that. Look at Sony's performance at E3 2006. It didn't put everyone in some sort of optimistic mood where they loved everything Sony did until the end of eternity; it made everyone despise Sony as a company until they actually started caring about their customers in 2009 or so.

2) Casual/social gamers are fickle (as I explain in this article). You can't bank on them like that. They're not going to show up on a console just because they can play real-time fantasy football and switch between Star Trek and Forza with a voice command. What they overwhelmingly want, as we saw on the Wii, is enjoyable and light gaming experiences. The Wii wasn't flying off shelves in 2006 because it could perform the functions of a cable box, it was flying off shelves because of Wii Sports. If Microsoft can get something like that, it may appeal to casuals, though it still might not because of the growing popularity of mobile gaming. But we have literally never seen multimedia features sell a console before, so I don't see why they would start now.

3) The super-casual didn't flock to the Wii U for being a successor to the Wii, so I don't see why they would flock to the Xbox One because they happened to like Kinect.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:

Everything positive they say in E3 will sound like a uncanny blessing from the skyes.

Hmmm...one problem with MS game-wise is whatever game they show @E3 that is not exclusive, it is automatically advertising for the PS4 because of its raw power, it doesn't take anyone tech-savvy to know that game will be better on the PS4.

The xbox doesn't have the dev friendly advantage anymore or the year-early advantage. It is head to head.

Kresnik said:

...I'm struggling to find a link between what was posted in the OP and discussing everything from motion-controlled games which bombed...

The OP argued that casuals will come back for the Kinect 2, so kinect's viability into the next gen was questioned. I said it was momentarily successful, Pugs said it's still succesfull. The end.

DirtyP2002 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Don't give a shit about their profits. As long as everyone can agree that the bone loses as a games console then it's fine.

(of course they can still turn around that ship)

I think this is one of the main reason people talk about this DRM stuff this much - there is not much left to hate on.

How about how they abandon their consoles at the end of their lifespans?

WagnerPaiva said:

Hmmm...one problem with MS game-wise is whatever game they show @E3 that is not exclusive, it is automatically advertising for the PS4 because of its raw power, it doesn't take anyone tech-savvy to know that game will be better on the PS4.

The xbox doesn't have the dev friendly advantage anymore or the year-early advantage. It is head to head.

Kresnik said:

...I'm struggling to find a link between what was posted in the OP and discussing everything from motion-controlled games which bombed...

The OP argued that casuals will come back for the Kinect 2, so kinect's viability into the next gen was questioned. I said it was momentarily successful, Pugs said it's still succesfull. The end.

That worked out great with the ps3 and all of its multiplats too.

Mr Puggsly said:

Dude, look at the games in your sig. You don't think there is a pursuit of profit there?

Don't be hatin' because Call of Duty: Ghosts will make more money than all of those games combined.

Seriously, dude ? How about you take a look at the games in my sig. A damn good one and tell me how many of those follow the same old copy-paste, safe, do it by the numbers milking till it's dead strategy that games like Halo and COD followed this generation.

Does shadow fall look ANYTHING like past killzone games ? Have you EVER seen a game like Beyond or Knack ? Did GT happen to have 4 titles like Forza or 5 like Halo did this generation ?

I understand you are in the corner trying to defend the one but don't come to me telling me how different iterations of the SAME GO'DAMN game is what I should be happy with. It is really f****** patronizing.

Halo has not been doing copy and paste anything so far. Even most COD's haven't been doing it that much if you actually take the time to play the games and find out.

Are the so called casual still that interested in console gaming? I mean look at the wii since 2011

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.