By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One on paper – but Microsoft will catch up, says Avalanche Studios

Edge

The Just Cause creator is working with each next gen console right now, and says that in terms of pure specifications and working environment, PS4 is the preferable console. But with Xbox One’s cloud capabilities and further developer support coming, Sony can’t claim an early victory just yet.

We asked Avalanche’s chief technical officer Linus Blomberg how the two consoles compare. “It’s difficult to say, as it’s still early days when it comes to drivers,” he told us. “With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area. The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.”

Chief creative officer Christofer Sundberg also told us that Xbox One’s connected play will allow Avalanche’s games to become more directly relevant to its players.

“We were one of the fortunate developers to get our hands on the Xbox One early, but the public reveal only confirms that Microsoft is staying on course with their plans – to make the Xbox One the entertainment center of the living room,”  he told us. “The big positive was obviously that it’s a fantastic piece of hardware offering a huge range of possibilities for developers to connect with players in ways that have been close to impossible to date.”

“Next generation to me has always meant more than nice graphics,” he added. “I don’t really see any big negatives at this point. For me, the success of the new consoles will be determined by how much freedom developers will have to make our gaming experiences customized for our fans.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4-is-more-powerful-than-xbox-one-on-paper-but-microsoft-will-catch-up-says-avalanche-studios/

Around the Network

So Sony wont update their console with updates? Or how they have a cloud system as well.
I don't think Microsoft will ever catch up to Sony's raw power.

Nooo! An positive developer!

SlayerOfPrey said:
So Sony wont update their console with updates? Or how they have a cloud system as well.

If the business is going down the way of cloud gaming and computing in general, no one is anywhere near as big in that department than Microsoft.

In the World, mind you. I'm not saying the article is right, I'm saying if it goes this way, then MS is perfectly postioned.

ironmanDX said:
SlayerOfPrey said:

If the business is going down the way of cloud gaming and computing in general, no one is anywhere near as big in that department than Microsoft.

In the World, mind you. I'm not saying the article is right, I'm saying if it goes this way, then MS is perfectly postioned.

Can't argue with that, but remember sony bought gaikai. Thats one company who's very good at cloud technology  as well.

Around the Network

well it seams that tittle is not a certainty yet... its just a educated guess.
it might catch up in the maturity of the drivers, but if they do end up mature, both of them, PS4 will still have the HW advantage. this is only true if this 2 conditions are true, MS will keep their record track of delivering good drivers, AND sony will not improve/get worse at their drivers development. Only then MS will be able to overcome the HW specs and deliver better games. The 2 are possible (the first besides possible is very probable), but i wouldn't count on both to be true. like always, time will tell.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

SlayerOfPrey said:

Of course they will update and they have somehow a cloud system but this is of course not the scale of MS' cloud system.

If they will catch up, we will see. But it's already not too far ahead...

SlayerOfPrey said:
ironmanDX said:
SlayerOfPrey said:

Can't argue with that, but remember sony bought gaikai. Thats one company who's very good at cloud technology  as well.

Are they? Any proof for this? How big are they? How many servers do they provide? Where are the data-centers located? How are they connected to big and crucial peering-points?

So Sony is even ahead in development tools? The usual advantage of Xbox. Wtf MS has been doing past two years.

KillerMan said:
So Sony is even ahead in development tools? The usual advantage of Xbox. Wtf MS has been doing past two years.

Talking to Xbox and watching TV... ;)