By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developer on Xbox 720 always-online: “All I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills”

kowenicki said:

If sony said tomorrow, "PS4 is always online", I wouldnt even blink... 

Why is this such a big deal?  I have countless items of tech in my house that are always online.  If it is a big deal for some people then fine... but it isnt for me.

You have countless appliances that won't perform their main function unless they can access the internet?

Can I ask which ones? I can only come up with stream boxes needing (obviously) to reach the content they have to display...

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

"Always online" could serve one main purpose : Check game ID and reject/approve it, in other words, ban used games.

kitler53 said:
kowenicki said:
wait and see

i've been as vocal as anyone stating i don't believe these rumors..

..but may (if that is when they actually announce the thing) is a long ways away.  the ps4 no used game rumor was pretty strong of a few days there until sony killed it.  if MS waits until may this rumor is going to get stronger and stronger. 

as much as i hate it, something perception is more important than truth.  if everyone thinks 360 is always online it might as well be.  i mean, let's be honest, if MS announces it isn't always online how much press do you think that will get?  1 article that dies in 5 minutes?  much of the market may hear this rumor but not the truth.

..MS needs to address this imo.

Hell no.

When they present the console and say: "It does not need an internet connection to work." It'll be more than enough. Say it at E3, which is watched by millions and you are done. Busting rumors is easy, really.

People are overestimating internet hype or the advantages Sony has with their early reveal.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

WereKitten said:

You have countless appliances that won't perform their main function unless they can access the internet?

No problem because gaming won't be the MediahubBox 720's main function!

If this is true it will be one of the happiest days of my life but I honestly can't see Microsoft being that stupid. They would scare away a huge chunk of their target audience with this move. The only way I can see this happening is if Microsoft plans to do a paradigm shift with the Xbox and doesn't plan on retaining the gaming audience at large anyway. Maybe they are positioning the nextbox as an apple tv competitor that can also play high quality video games.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

That isnt what I said.  I said I have countless tech items that are always online whether they need to be or not.  I'm on one now.  When I open my laptop it connects to the internet. When I walk into my house my phone connects to the wireless network in my home, as does my tablet.   What is the problem with a home based console being always online?

My sonos music systes is always online too.

Stop being contrary and deal with the point.

Is your laptop/pc always online at home?  Why is this such a big deal? 

"Deal with the point"

But the point of this thread, and of the whole discussion about these rumours, is a different one. The alleged requirement is to always be online to launch a game or an application, that is to always be online to perform a local function on local data.

Once again: the case discussed here is of an appliance that requires an internet connection... when it could technically do without. And the inconveniences that this kind of choice puts on the customer. And the fact that this is a very new kind of inconvenience. How many appliances you keep always online that don't require a connection is not relevant to the point.

"Is your laptop/pc always online at home?  Why is this such a big deal?"

I have broadband, wifi, a routed network at home. But I have no Internet at my girlfriend's house, where we live by (traffic limited) 3G on tablets and 3G modems for the laptops. And I have no Internet at my summer house... we again live on 3G when there.

It is a big inconvenience for me - and I suspect for most people.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Think for a moment on this :

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started." (From Kotaku's source)

Why would they implement this if it wasn't to BAN USED GAMES?

To all people saying this is no issue IF true, I will say this brings up very big concerns about Microsoft going along with the plan of enforcing a very strict DRM system that would make used games unplayable on their console.

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
kowenicki said:
wait and see

i've been as vocal as anyone stating i don't believe these rumors..

..but may (if that is when they actually announce the thing) is a long ways away.  the ps4 no used game rumor was pretty strong of a few days there until sony killed it.  if MS waits until may this rumor is going to get stronger and stronger. 

as much as i hate it, something perception is more important than truth.  if everyone thinks 360 is always online it might as well be.  i mean, let's be honest, if MS announces it isn't always online how much press do you think that will get?  1 article that dies in 5 minutes?  much of the market may hear this rumor but not the truth.

..MS needs to address this imo.

Why is this such a big deal?  I have countless items of tech in my house that are always online.  If it is a big deal for some people then fine... but it isnt for me.

then you'd be a fool.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

between no and slow connections a manditory always online device would be too niche to be popular.  and an unpopular device will get minimal amount of software support.  ..or have you already completely conceeded you won't be playing any games next gen.

kowenicki said:
WereKitten said:
kowenicki said:

Can I ask which ones? I can only come up with stream boxes needing (obviously) to reach the content they have to display...

That isnt what I said.  I said I have countless tech items that are always online whether they need to be or not.  I'm on one now.  When I open my laptop it connects to the internet. When I walk into my house my phone connects to the wireless network in my home, as does my tablet.   What is the problem with a home based console being always online?

My sonos music system is always online too.

Stop being contrary and deal with the point.

Is your laptop/pc always online at home?  Why is this such a big deal? 

Wait.. what. So your computer/tablet/phone all of a sudden stops working when you loose your internet connection. /notsureifserious.gif

And you're fine with companies screwing over your consumer rights? :/ Hell, if Sony did a similar thing and went for online only DRM, I'd do the smart thing and choose not buy it. There are plenty of other alternatives that I can turn to.

The fact is, a lot of console users either have crappy internet connections, or none at all. Its rediculous that there's actually people defending such practices in the first place. Let me ask you this, what purpose does always connected DRM serve on consoles, other than to piss off those who support their products. What happened to just plugging in games console and firing up a game.

Um...the only games this company has ever created are for the PS3 and the only ones they've announced are for the PS4.

The OP is trolling at this point and the writer of this article obviously didn't do enough homework.