By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Studios’ creative director defends always-online Xbox 720

M.U.G.E.N said:
007BondAgent said:
Developer on Xbox 720 always-online: "All I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills"

http://www.gamechup.com/developer-on-xbox-720-always-online-all-i-can-say-is-be-sure-to-pay-your-isp-bills/

A developer who goes by the name Mr. Lake on EvilAvatar forums has posted that: “Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.”

So who is he, actually? Well with a little snooping, it has been revealed that he is a Senior Designer at The Workshop Entertainment. Here’s his LinkedIn profile.

You can also find Mr. Lake’s Xbox profile here. So now even developers are hinting that Microsoft will absolute go with always-online requirement, and considering the highly credible Edge also said the same thing, the Xbox 720 reveal in May should be highly entertaining.

I hope they gave credit since it was a gaf user who did the investigating but yep plot thickens

and on an additional note Gameinformer just ran this whole twitter incident as well

i think they will, gaf seems to always get the credit for things

Around the Network

soon we wont even be able to take a piss without having to be connected to the internet..

..we wont even be able to masturbate in privacy anymore..

Edit: wait wtf am i talking about!? Sony and Nintendo aren't doing this so im good lol

I just came up with an interesting theory. What if Microsoft is trying to make the Xbox 3 into an internet router and become an ISP or through business deals with existing ones? The cable box idea has been thrown around for years but what if they made a deal with AT&T for example and the U-Verse service that does internet, phone, and TV is built into the Xbox 3 and you can set up internet and TV from the box itself. I know there are other issues and this probably isn't logistically possible due to physical restraints with one ISP like AT&T, but it is just an example.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

The interesting thing about this whole situation is that a MS employee who states he works for the company on a twitter account would not make those types of statements because it would result in that person being fired. Its not like such things are not stated within the employee policy for internet conduct.

With that said, then you have to wonder what was the agenda. Was this really some joke twitter thing going on that got out of hand. Is this MS trying to see how online Only is received for the hardcore crowd. Was this guy fired already and he is having fun before its revealed. There is a lot of unanswered questions but tomorrow probably will have MS respond since this whole thing will make the rounds to just about every web site that follow gaming and some that don't.

Chark said:
I just came up with an interesting theory. What if Microsoft is trying to make the Xbox 3 into an internet router and become an ISP or through business deals with existing ones? The cable box idea has been thrown around for years but what if they made a deal with AT&T for example and the U-Verse service that does internet, phone, and TV is built into the Xbox 3 and you can set up internet and TV from the box itself. I know there are other issues and this probably isn't logistically possible due to physical restraints with one ISP like AT&T, but it is just an example.

Won't happen. It takes a lot of infrastructure to become an ISP (read: technical devices to become an ISP) and also think about how different countries deliver internet to users. Nice idea, but believe me: No :)

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Chark said:

Won't happen. It takes a lot of infrastructure to become an ISP (read: technical devices to become an ISP) and also think about how different countries deliver internet to users. Nice idea, but believe me: No :)

I know it would be completely impracticle and impossible to set up overnight...aside from a planned satellite solution which is worse for always online. Unless they managed to make a deal with every ISP they could to allow for service sign up through their built in router or something.

Online requirement sounds pretty pointless anyway and a great disservice to the user base. I suppose if it is true Xbox gamers can play on their other consoles if their internet isn't working...that isn't a refreshing concept from a business perspective. I can't wait for their reveal so we can stop talking rumors.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

This is becoming huge. Microsoft haven't even announced the console yet. Maybe this forces their hand and makes them do it early, otherwise they have to wade through weeks of bad press before they even unveil it and can officially comment on the rumours.

Hynad said:
Muffin31190 said:

so yeah i dont know where you got this chart from but im pretty sure its DEAD WRONG, not trying to start an argument i would just lke to see more evidence of this graph being true cuz yeah nintendo with that much profit especially in the days of the GC and N64 is well yeah not true and sony not having that much profit in the days of the PS1 and PS2, also same with the 360 for microsoft.

If it's not true, care to provide counter evidence?

The profits of the chart do not correlate with companys stock, which in turn would show how well the company is doing. For example if the Company is doing extremely well as the chart says the the stock prices would also rise with the profits.

anyways im not really looking to prove a point but really the evidence is in the stock market and the value of the companys with the years that were mentioned in the graph, with that said I could be wrong but i still believe the chart to be wrong and it brought us way off topic if it really means that much maybe we should start another thread about it.

Muffin31190 said:
Hynad said:
Muffin31190 said:

so yeah i dont know where you got this chart from but im pretty sure its DEAD WRONG, not trying to start an argument i would just lke to see more evidence of this graph being true cuz yeah nintendo with that much profit especially in the days of the GC and N64 is well yeah not true and sony not having that much profit in the days of the PS1 and PS2, also same with the 360 for microsoft.

If it's not true, care to provide counter evidence?

The profits of the chart do not correlate with companys stock, which in turn would show how well the company is doing. For example if the Company is doing extremely well as the chart says the the stock prices would also rise with the profits.

anyways im not really looking to prove a point but really the evidence is in the stock market and the value of the companys with the years that were mentioned in the graph, with that said I could be wrong but i still believe the chart to be wrong and it brought us way off topic if it really means that much maybe we should start another thread about it.

They do when it comes to Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft's stocks aren't centered around just their gaming devisions, so your point is quite moot. The chart only takes into account the income made from the gaming side of the companies.

You said: " nintendo with that much profit especially in the days of the GC and N64 is well yeah not true and sony not having that much profit in the days of the PS1 and PS2, also same with the 360 for microsoft"

I'm still waiting for you to provide proof about what you say is false in that chart. Nintendo has always been profitable. The Wii U is the first home console they make that is reported to be lost at a slight loss. So, please, support your claims with facts. What isn't true here, and what supports your claims?

double post