By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Wants to be Number Three, Thinks it “Could Buy Apple and Samsung” in the Future

Apple should buy Sony.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
When I go to the source of the source in the OP and allow google to translate the Japanese it reads as follows:

"Become the third largest smartphone maker Apple and Samsung followed by" Sony [Headline]

[some content]
He said in the interview, he said "in shipments of smartphones, now Sony but ranked fourth in the world, and in the future overtake Huawei ranked third worldwide, established himself followed by Apple and Samsung" and .

So basically, Sony just wants to take over 3rd place. However, it does mention dreaming of acquiring Apple one day. Seems to be a joke (learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals).

"the dream much larger than Sony "It allows the acquisition of Apple. You will not be able to fulfill his dream is just management company, of course, is also true I learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals of executives iconic consumer electronics company Sony was once Japan."

That's what I read too, but sadly people are just going to come in and give Sony a metaphorical kick in the ass since their financials these days act like a "kick me" sign on the internet.  

I mean they start out saying "we'd like to move from 4th to 3rd."  and then say "dream would be to buy out Apple and Samsung" but all everyone can focus on is being assholes about the second statement.  

sounds like a plan, the problem is executing it.

Have they taught most of you nothing in high school or uni? Do you just trust a source so much without questioning its validity, especially considering the seemingly contradictory statements? Or is it just an excuse to bash Sony? As Kowenicki said, stop embarrassing yourselves,.

JoeTheBro said:
I understand buying apple but I doubt they will ever have the money in the bank to buy Samsung.

Apple is worth many billions more than Samsung. And Sony could never buy Apple, they are much, much bigger than Sony. Apple was contemplating the purchase of Sony a few years ago actually. Samsung will never be bigger than Apple because first of all the majority of their profits come from Apple! Apple is Samsung's biggest customer because they manufacture the processors, graphics chips, and other components for the iPhones, iPods, and iPads. If Apple were to totally cut them off which they wil be soon when they switch to Intel chips for the iPhone, it would be devastating. It will cut off Samsung's money supply which they need for marketing, design, research, new technologies, etc. The only reason Samsung is as big as it is today is because of Apple. Apple also has a slew of new products on the way with the Apple TV set (likely to put a dent in Samsung TV marketshare), the rumored iWatch, new iPhones coming to China mobile which is the biggest carrier in China. The only direction Apple can go is up, Apple gets bigger and bigger every day. 

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
When I go to the source of the source in the OP and allow google to translate the Japanese it reads as follows:

"Become the third largest smartphone maker Apple and Samsung followed by" Sony [Headline]

[some content]
He said in the interview, he said "in shipments of smartphones, now Sony but ranked fourth in the world, and in the future overtake Huawei ranked third worldwide, established himself followed by Apple and Samsung" and .

So basically, Sony just wants to take over 3rd place. However, it does mention dreaming of acquiring Apple one day. Seems to be a joke (learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals).

"the dream much larger than Sony "It allows the acquisition of Apple. You will not be able to fulfill his dream is just management company, of course, is also true I learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals of executives iconic consumer electronics company Sony was once Japan."

Thanks for setting the record straight, even if no one will care.

Dmick90 said:
JoeTheBro said:
I understand buying apple but I doubt they will ever have the money in the bank to buy Samsung.

Apple is worth many billions more than Samsung. And Sony could never buy Apple, they are much, much bigger than Sony. Apple was contemplating the purchase of Sony a few years ago actually. Samsung will never be bigger than Apple because first of all the majority of their profits come from Apple! Apple is Samsung's biggest customer because they manufacture the processors, graphics chips, and other components for the iPhones, iPods, and iPads. If Apple were to totally cut them off which they wil be soon when they switch to Intel chips for the iPhone, it would be devastating. It will cut off Samsung's money supply which they need for marketing, design, research, new technologies, etc. The only reason Samsung is as big as it is today is because of Apple. Apple also has a slew of new products on the way with the Apple TV set (likely to put a dent in Samsung TV marketshare), the rumored iWatch, new iPhones coming to China mobile which is the biggest carrier in China. The only direction Apple can go is up, Apple gets bigger and bigger every day. 

This is blatantly false. The only area where Apple is worth billions more than Samsung is in market cap, which is just based on what *Analysts* think your company can make in the future. It's not a valid indicator of of how much assets you have or how much money your company is making right now. Just look at Amazon's ridiculous 900 P/E ratio.

Also, Apple may be Samsung's biggest customer, but to say most of Samsung's profits are from Apple's orders is just ridiculous. The Samsung Empire is composed of more than 80 companies that are involved in almost everything under the sun. Samsung Electronics alone made $22 billion in profits for 2012. 30 of the other companies made $21 billion. And note that the $43 billion in profit (Which is greater than Apple's $41 billion) was just from 31 of the 80 companies in Samsung.

Well look at Apple and Samsung. One was dying rapidly, the other just some cheap Korean electronics company. 10 years later one is the most wealthy companies in the world, and the other is dominating the electronic consumer market!
Anything can happen.....

LemonSlice said:
dsgrue3 said:

[some content]

Thanks for setting the record straight, even if no one will care.

Entirely off topic but Jo is freaking awesome.

Yeah it was either a joke or saying Samsung wants to buy Apple. Article is total flame bait.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(