By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Regarding the PS4 announcement - "More, More, More—How Do You Like It? "

IamAwsome said:
Heavenly_King said:
UnitSmiley said:
There are a few things that can be criticized about the conference such as Squares showing (or lack thereof) but this article is basically complaining the PS4 is more powerful lol.

Sony made a fairly powerful new console that developers are praising for it's ease of use when it comes to developing games. Apparently somehow that's a bad thing. I highly believe this author would be writing negative things about Sony no matter what the PS4 was capable of.

I agree.  It is almost like if someone payed the dude to write something bad about having a powerful console.    When it is obviously something good when it is accesible (like the PS4), because game developers will have lots of freedom to make games.  I really dont know WTH that is a bad thing.

Power itself isn't a bad thing, but Sony (and devs like Epic) continue to push this mindset that MOAR POWUH will make for creative games, but we haven't really seen the creativity yet (KZ looks like any other FPS, and DriveClub's central concept exists in practically every modern racing game. Sony says that more power will encourage creativity, but there wasn't much in the games THEY showed. 

Skipping over to the end, he says that a game will suck no matter what CPU it runs on. Power doesn't make games better. Sony's devs insist that more will lead to creative expression, but in reality, it may lead to the downfall of console gaming.

I like most of Sony first party games, and those games would not be possible if not for the PS3 (or a PC if the developers could make games for it).  If Uncharted was a PS2 game it would not be as awesome as it is right now, just like with Read Dead Redemption.  Power does not make you more creative, but if you are creative enough, you will be able to make your vision a reality.     The problem is that most developers including most japanese developers this gen, are making PS1 games with nice graphics.  They are the same thing of 15 years ago, but now they have better graphics.

I see why you dont see much creativity in the new Killzone, it is a first gen PS4 game, and also there was not much in the showing but stil I am confident that the end product will be really awesome.     But still, I want you to visualize the evolution of Sony and 3rd party games since PS1 to PS3.  You can obviously see there is a major evolution in gaming, being now more inmersive and impresive, meanwhile, I do not intend to troll with the following, but nintendo games since the N64 to WiiU are almost the same thing.   So, that is why I think power will enable more things, but it depends on the developers to make great games with that extra power.  And if they dont have much budget, they can still make a good looking game because they have less limitations than before. So now having a full HD game with awesome lighting will be quite easy; maybe textures would not be gigantic, but it will defenitely make easier the job.     That is why I think that since current gen lots of indie games and companies have been created.  If They dont have 100M of budget, they can still make a great game even if it does not looks realistic.   Companies close because they dont have a clue of their limitations, and that is why they try to make a 50 million budget game and fail misserably; and that is not the fault of the powerful hardware, it is the fault of the incompetent developer.

Having more power in the end just gives more options, and broadens the spectrum of games that can be produced.  In the PS1 or PS2 era all the games were in the same league, but now there is much more diversity corresponding the the capabilities and budgets of the developers.

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
Heavenly_King said:
UnitSmiley said:
There are a few things that can be criticized about the conference such as Squares showing (or lack thereof) but this article is basically complaining the PS4 is more powerful lol.

Sony made a fairly powerful new console that developers are praising for it's ease of use when it comes to developing games. Apparently somehow that's a bad thing. I highly believe this author would be writing negative things about Sony no matter what the PS4 was capable of.

I agree.  It is almost like if someone payed the dude to write something bad about having a powerful console.    When it is obviously something good when it is accesible (like the PS4), because game developers will have lots of freedom to make games.  I really dont know WTH that is a bad thing.

Power itself isn't a bad thing, but Sony (and devs like Epic) continue to push this mindset that MOAR POWUH will make for creative games, but we haven't really seen the creativity yet (KZ looks like any other FPS, and DriveClub's central concept exists in practically every modern racing game. Sony says that more power will encourage creativity, but there wasn't much in the games THEY showed. 

Skipping over to the end, he says that a game will suck no matter what CPU it runs on. Power doesn't make games better. Sony's devs insist that more will lead to creative expression, but in reality, it may lead to the downfall of console gaming.

They showed a few things including a new platformer that  doesn't revolve around realistic graphics and an open world game that will very likely have a much bigger city than the previous  did. Their will also be plenty more to see at E3. Sony has put out games like flow, flower, journey,  unfinished swan, ico, shadow of the colossus, little big planet ect. All very creative games. 

I don't understand why people think just  because the PS4 is powerful that it won' have creative games anymore. The power isn't  just for graphics, it allows the developers to do more with their vision.

Incredible article and obviously by a man who not only is familiar with video games, but with the entertainment industry as a whole. A wonderful and funny read that put many things into perspective. Thanks banao87.

BTW why can't articles bashing Nintendo be this amusing? They always seem so hateful and full of spite.

Fireforgey said:
Incredible article and obviously by a man who not only is familiar with video games, but with the entertainment industry as a whole. A wonderful and funny read that put many things into perspective. Thanks banao87.

BTW why can't articles bashing Nintendo be this amusing? They always seem so hateful and full of spite.

Most of the late Nintendo articles regarding what's wrong with them are actually good, even Pachter was right not long ago. It's just that we like to see our beloved company as something untouchable.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

They showed a few things including a new platformer that  doesn't revolve around realistic graphics and an open world game that will very likely have a much bigger city than the previous  did. Their will also be plenty more to see at E3. Sony has put out games like flow, flower, journey,  unfinished swan, ico, shadow of the colossus, little big planet ect. All very creative games. 

I don't understand why people think just  because the PS4 is powerful that it won' have creative games anymore. The power isn't  just for graphics, it allows the developers to do more with their vision.

No No its just people's belief that more power in Sony's hands is a bad thing (as in they cant be creative with it).  That means more killzones and more scripted games like uncharted which we all know are very non innovative.  On the flip side, more power in Nintendo's hands mean gaming nirvana, you have more polished and pretty versions of 2D Mario and Xenoblade, donkey kong, Zelda and Metriod, you know, games that are very innovative.  Really can’t wait to see what type of innovation Nintendo brings to Mario kart, Mario Kart 7 set the bar kinda high.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Fireforgey said:

Most of the late Nintendo articles regarding what's wrong with them are actually good, even Pachter was right not long ago. It's just that we like to see our beloved company as something untouchable.

Could you send me your favorite because I certainly haven't seen any.  I'll try to look at it in a different light and not in a fanboy one and see if it's an honest to god good and funny article.  I have just found them to be in incredibly short supply.

Fireforgey said:

Could you send me your favorite because I certainly haven't seen any.  I'll try to look at it in a different light and not in a fanboy one and see if it's an honest to god good and funny article.  I have just found them to be in incredibly short supply.

I don't have one to link to you, and now that every web is focused on PS4 is even more difficult. The last one I remember is one article about Sony saving Vita or so, that mentioned 3DS not doing so hot in the west as people is focused more on tablets/smarthphones (which is right).

But I think I'll leave as anecdotal evidence.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
o_O.Q said:
now that i've looked through the article again i can see the auther has made no mentioned of knack or infamous ss but hand picked games to write on and use to generalise the entire line up

sony announced their development of 4 very different games under different genres

knack ( adventure/platformer )
infamous ss ( open world superhero game )
killzone ( fps )
drive club ( racing )

how can the argument seriously be made that there is no variety there?

I don't know how Drive Club is all that different than any other driving simulator.

Is a new Mario any different than another Mario? No...

It's a driving game, it involves driving. What do people expect from driving games? Seriously, this is a dull way to look at the industry. No driving games allowed! No action games allowed either. No good graphics either. And let us ignore all the other games Sony showed too! Let us ignore that Nintendo had NOTHING for WiiU when they revealed it (and even now they only have Nintendo Land and...a new Mario).

This Nintendo-superiority complex is sickening - now I am talking about people who write articles like that or who hold uninformed grudges against a company for years because they can't like anything other than Nintendo.

But Nintendo doesn't exactly pretend that Mario games revolutionize the industry (even though NSMBWii did by creating the industry standard for multiplayer 2D platformers). 

NintendoLand is FILLED with some really cool concepts that could help the industry and that companies could take ideas from going forward, while NSMBU pretty much reach the peak of the New Super Mario Bros franchise could reach. 

Nintendo knows that it isn't bleeding edge graphics that makes good games.

The reason why I rarely like a company other than Nintendo is because it is one of the very few companies that have realized that just because limits have been removed from video games, doesn't mean that every game has to push this new limits.  When Nintendo stopped making 2D platformers, the whole industry stopped and they didn't start again until nintendo proved their viability with succesful non Mario 2D plaformers (DKCR, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wairo Land Shake it ect...).  Bringing back an old favorite genre, to me, is just as good as creating a new one.

And if you're wondering about the "Nintendo-Superiority Complex" well guess what?  It came from people constantly bashing Nintnedo for not making the exact same games that every other video game company makes, and bashing its fans for being childish for enjoying a more cartoony style.

Nintendo has been one of the best and biggest contributers to the whole video game industry and that's without even going so far back to the NES.  Even with the Wii it had its innovations and has helped shape and strengthen the video game console industry for all the three companies.

Forgive us for not being impressed, in that case, with the PS4 just having MOER POWRE.  To us it means nothing and it quite possibly (not definitly, not that I'm hating, I'm saying it's possible) hurting the industry as it is asking for more and more resources from the developers that they might not be able to commit or afford.

So for the last time, the Wii U is NEXT GEN, Nintendo makes GREAT GAMES (not the most innovative in the world, not groundbreaking changes in the medium, just simply great games that people want to go back to time and time again....Although they do make a groundbreaking game from time to time) and just because they use and oldish style of gameplay, and just because it is cartoonish and family friendly does NOT make it a toy company and its fans little children. 

If people would stop making these basless and annoying accusations, maybe you'll find you can enjoy your PS5, or whatever it is called, in peace. 

BTW Mario is awesome and I will never stop buying his 2D platformers, I don't care how many they end up making, if they maintain their quality I will always be their cutomer.  I have NEVER bought Mario on the basis of innovation and anyone who does (recently at least) should really ask himself if he has been following any of his games recently.

RolStoppable said:
gigantor21 said:

*groans* Jesus Christ, Rol. 

I find it hilarious that you hold up older consoles as some sort of Cambrian catalyst for risk-taking. If we're going to cherrypick individual genres as proof, I remember all the dickriding on Mario, Sonic and Street Fighter back in the 16-bit days. It seemed like everyone and their mother was putting out either a new fighter or a new platformer (particularly with an animal mascot). The trendwhoring people bitch about now was just as prevalent back when you had very small teams putting out stuff at a fraction of current AAA costs, and it's lasted in every gen since. Along with shovelware, which the Wii was no stranger to.

And do you really think content creation is still dictated solely by big publishers selling physical disks at Gamestop? That argument is rooted in a 90's mindset of how the industry has to work. With the advent of the downloadable space, developers have options for content delivery they only could've dreamed of just 10 years ago. We've seen plenty of smaller works with gameplay and visual styles Activision and EA wouldn't dare gamble on.

Sony announced efforts on that front during the conference, stating they'll be pushing for self-publishing and pricing on PSN. The Witness itself is going to be self-published; Jonathan Blow himself praised Sony's approach on that front.

Is there any guarantee it will go off without a hitch? Of course not. But it's a much more convincing appraoch for fostering diversity than hoping an underpowered system will magically promote creativity.

Sure, there were always plenty of third parties who jumped on trends to cash in, but that didn't mean that other genres were going to become extinct. Pushing entire genres in the downloadable space isn't a solution, but rather a band-aid. These games are never going to get as much exposure as retail games, so they are pretty much doomed to niche status with no chance to ever get back out of there.

Yeah, because downloadable games are NEVER able to get popular, or at least sell well enough to justify further investment.  Even if only a handful of people or just one was working on it. -_-

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

UnitSmiley said:
IamAwsome said:
Heavenly_King said:
UnitSmiley said:

More power won't necessarily stifle all creativity, but that is all Sony puushes. Like Rol said, we need innovation to go along with it, but Sony doesn't really push innovation. The industry won't get more creative if we make the same changes (more power) each gen, ok it will, but it will hit a stopping point eventually. We need more than that. Also, games are getting more expensive, and requiring more people. Power won't help that issue. I'm not against power, and neither is this guy, but for the industry to continue to thrive, we need MORE than just "more power, more polygons, and better hardware" each gen. and Sony doesn't support that notion.