Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 26th January 2013

CGI-Quality said:
Bong Lover said:
CGI-Quality said:

Again, I gave you Business Protocol 101. All you did was tell me that the majority of people will have moved on (a truth, but not the full story). Of course many gamers will have moved on, but I never argued against that, because that goes without saying. In the corporate world, though, the numbers will not be forgetten, minimized, or ignored (what I've said from the beginning). You weren't "sidestepped", you just heard the argument you wanted to hear and skipped what was relevant. You took one look at this week's numbers and decided that, by November, this will all suddenly vanish and it just doesn't work like that. Take it from a guy with an industry position, it's talked about much more than you think.

Nevertheless, the easiest way to solve this problem - agree to disagree.

Business Protocol 101? In the corporate world even fewer people will care when/if the PS3 sells more units than the 360. At least in the deep corners of the internet somewhere there will be a person here and a person there who acctually thinks it has any relevance. In the corporate world however the thing they will look at is : The PS3 lost x million dollars, the Xbox 360 made y million dollars. And that is all they will care about.

You clearly don't understand how it will work, then. The GameCube made waaay more money than the PS2. How much did that matter? Research my friend, helps a lot.

What money the PS3 lost in its early years will matter less versus how it went out. Again, not talking with zero experience, here.

Yes, from a corporate point of view, which I believe you were talking about, that matters a whole lot.That said, are you sure the Gamecube made waaay more money than the PS2, or are you confusing Gamecube vs. PS2 profitability with Nintendo vs. Sony profitability over the 6th generation?

Inverstors care about profits, not if they sell more than a competitor or not. The corporate world will judge the 'console wars' based purely on revenues, profits and market share trends. With all your experience you'll know that no one in the corportae world will care about when the PS3 sells more than the 360. Perhaps someone at Sony will get an expensive lunch when it happens, but no one else will care. Even at Sony they will all know that they have lost a fair amount of marketshare to Microsoft which is a much more significant factor.

Here's a hint: There's a reason why neither Microsoft nor Sony sell 500 million consoles at $0.50, it's because in the corporate world they care much more about how much profit they make than setting the world record of console sales.

Around the Network

Wii U is selling pretty bad.. Maybe now all the hardcore gamers will like Nintendo now? :/

Metallicube said:

Wii U is selling pretty bad.. Maybe now all the hardcore gamers will like Nintendo now? :/

probably, but to get really popular it needs to be Nintendo's last system like Dreamcast for Sega.  10 million people bought it and now everyone seems to love the thing.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Bong Lover said:
CGI-Quality said:

You clearly don't understand how it will work, then. The GameCube made waaay more money than the PS2. How much did that matter? Research my friend, helps a lot.

What money the PS3 lost in its early years will matter less versus how it went out. Again, not talking with zero experience, here.

Yes, from a corporate point of view, which I believe you were talking about, that matters a whole lot.That said, are you sure the Gamecube made waaay more money than the PS2, or are you confusing Gamecube vs. PS2 profitability with Nintendo vs. Sony profitability over the 6th generation?

Inverstors care about profits, not if they sell more than a competitor or not. The corporate world will judge the 'console wars' based purely on revenues, profits and market share trends. With all your experience you'll know that no one in the corportae world will care about when the PS3 sells more than the 360. Perhaps someone at Sony will get an expensive lunch when it happens, but no one else will care. Even at Sony they will all know that they have lost a fair amount of marketshare to Microsoft which is a much more significant factor.

Here's a hint: There's a reason why neither Microsoft nor Sony sell 500 million consoles at $0.50, it's because in the corporate world they care much more about how much profit they make than setting the world record of console sales.

Pretty sure the GameCube made more money, but that's probably up for interpretation. However, I didn't rule out what investors care about, that wasn't even the argument. He said only "PlayStation gamers will care about the 360 and PS3 numbers years from now" and that's not how it works. 

Here's some food for thought: Nobody is currently discussing the PS3's opening, they're talking about what it's doing as it closes the gen. 

pezus said:
Vita should overtake WiiU soon!

Way to aim for stars there Pezus, but I guess Sony has to aim low when things are so bad for them right now lol.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

The GameCube itself raked in more cash than the PS2 (why not just Google it, if you aren't certain - goes back to research).

This is incredibly unlikely.  I am pretty sure you are mistaking a chart of operating income for Nintendo and Sony's gaming division as suggesting the Gamecube was more profitable than the PS2.  I went ahead and googled it, and the only things that turned up were people making similar claims on forums.  Considering the PS2 shipped about 1.4 Billion more units of software, and the Gamecube was never a massive money maker on hardware (quite possibly a money loser after the cut to $99), I see no way that the Gamecube made more profit than the PS2.  It's not like Nintendo was selling boatloads of their own software on it either.  VGC shows ~80 million Nintendo published games sold and ~186 million sony published games.  Now I think the Sony list has a lot more cases where Sony published a third party game in one region, but even so.  The Gran Turismo series shipped 29.5 million on PS2.  That alone is more than a third of what Nintendo published on the Gamecube.

Yakuzaice said:
CGI-Quality said:

The GameCube itself raked in more cash than the PS2 (why not just Google it, if you aren't certain - goes back to research).

This is incredibly unlikely.  I am pretty sure you are mistaking a chart of operating income for Nintendo and Sony's gaming division as suggesting the Gamecube was more profitable than the PS2.  I went ahead and googled it, and the only things that turned up were people making similar claims on forums.  Considering the PS2 shipped about 1.4 Billion more units of software, and the Gamecube was never a massive money maker on hardware (quite possibly a money loser after the cut to $99), I see no way that the Gamecube made more profit than the PS2.  It's not like Nintendo was selling boatloads of their own software on it either.  VGC shows ~80 million Nintendo published games sold and ~186 million sony published games.  Now I think the Sony list has a lot more cases where Sony published a third party game in one region, but even so.  The Gran Turismo series shipped 29.5 million on PS2.  That alone is more than a third of what Nintendo published on the Gamecube.

Well, I altered the post when I Googled it. Weird how you got the original response so much later.

Bong Lover said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

"Well considering that with any electronic product, when a new product comes out the older ones fade from the consumers eye and spotlight. Surely you can't argue that. Nintendo gamers have moved on, 360 gamers are eagerly awaiting the next Xbox....I assure you I will give my undivided attention to the next Xbox when it releases. That leaves only PS gamers.....internet minorities at that that will truly care. So mathmatically and given the consumer perception of product lifecycles in the capitalist electronics market, you can argue that most people won't care when PS3 passes 360 after November."

Using common sense, I at least have a basis for arguing that most gamers won't care post November. You, neglecting how the electronics market works, sidestepped that and accused me of focusing on the minority gamers.

(Edit: Also PC gamers won't care, forgot about them).

That in tiself doesn't discredit them being a statistical minority, merely accusing me of picking on them specifically. I reasoned that they are easily accessible, a sound response I think. Its easy.

I have a basis to say only a tiny minority of gamers will care post November. You don't. No further debate necessary indeed.

Again, I gave you Business Protocol 101. All you did was tell me that the majority of people will have moved on (a truth, but not the full story). Of course many gamers will have moved on, but I never argued against that, because that goes without saying. In the corporate world, though, the numbers will not be forgetten, minimized, or ignored (what I've said from the beginning). You weren't "sidestepped", you just heard the argument you wanted to hear and skipped what was relevant. You took one look at this week's numbers and decided that, by November, this will all suddenly vanish and it just doesn't work like that. Take it from a guy with an industry position, it's talked about much more than you think.

Nevertheless, the easiest way to solve this problem - agree to disagree.

Business Protocol 101? In the corporate world even fewer people will care when/if the PS3 sells more units than the 360. At least in the deep corners of the internet somewhere there will be a person here and a person there who acctually thinks it has any relevance. In the corporate world however the thing they will look at is : The PS3 lost x million dollars, the Xbox 360 made y million dollars. And that is all they will care ab

If thats the case following your it's all about profit theme, the thing the corporate world must be looking at is , the xbox lost xbillions and the xbox 360 with rrod losses taken into account means MS's game division is still deep in the red.

Devil_Survivor said:
pezus said:
Vita should overtake WiiU soon!

Way to aim for stars there Pezus, but I guess Sony has to aim low when things are so bad for them right now lol.

Ouch, what a low blow to the WiiU ;o

Vita and Wii U have no major new software releases and neither are being advertised well.

Who in the seven circles of hell expects them to sell well?

The sales are terrible, yes, but without software support people won't buy new systems. Nintendo might have announced some games, but they've given no signal as to when those games will be available. That still leaves Wii U without a major release for the entirety of January and almost all of February, before three or four notable releases (but no major global blockbuster and no major first party title) hit the system.

Nintendo need to hurry up and announce dates for titles like Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101. It's all well and good saying those titles are coming, but who is going to invest in a system when Nintendo won't even reveal what month those titles are coming out? Things will only get worse before those games are advertised and released.