By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

I find it apalling that people expect Nintendo to follow everybody else into the abyss.

The type of game itself does not make it less valuable.



Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

You asked me why I consider Console gaming and Mobile gaming vastly different markets and that's what I did. Steam is PC gaming which is closer to console gaming.

Fair enough, the controls atm do distinguish them, but by virtue of the argument I made earlier (that people who buy Angry Birds also bought NSMB) you can't say they're uncomparable.

And then you need to cater to the fact that it's only a matter of time before dedicated controllers add-ons become ubiquitous as well.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

USA

Europe

Let's go back to the sales data, because that's the heart of the issue. Explain how these graphs prove that there is a problem with the pricing of the NSMB games.

Those graphs show a worrisome downward launch pattern from NSMBW.



happydolphin said:

 

Those graphs show a worrisome downward launch pattern from NSMBW.

 

Why did NSMBW sell so well in the first place? Did it have any advantages over the games that were released afterwards?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:

Why did NSMBW sell so well in the first place? Did it have any advantages over the games that were released afterwards?

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.



happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

You asked me why I consider Console gaming and Mobile gaming vastly different markets and that's what I did. Steam is PC gaming which is closer to console gaming.

Fair enough, the controls atm do distinguish them, but by virtue of the argument I made earlier (that people who buy Angry Birds also bought NSMB) you can't say they're uncomparable.

And then you need to cater to the fact that it's only a matter of time before dedicated controllers add-ons become ubiquitous as well.

 

 

People who bought Angry Birds and those who bought NSMB certainly overlap but they're not the same group.



Signature goes here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

 

Those graphs show a worrisome downward launch pattern from NSMBW.

 

Why did NSMBW sell so well in the first place? Did it have any advantages over the games that were released afterwards?


Yes it did indeed.

There were about 60 million Wiis out there at the time of its release, and wii products were still prominently displayed at all retailers, and there hadn't been a new 2D console Mario game for over 13 years.



happydolphin said:

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?

Fatigue and the disinterest of the greater market.

TruckOSaurus said:

People who bought Angry Birds and those who bought NSMB certainly overlap but they're not the same group.

I'm aware of that but I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I can't see how a good portion of the NSMB sales are not from that market.



happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?

Fatigue and the disinterest of the greater market.

This means, hypothetically speaking, that NSMBU should have sold at the same pace as NSMBW if there was no fatigue and disinterest of the greater market. Would you agree with this?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

People who bought Angry Birds and those who bought NSMB certainly overlap but they're not the same group.

I'm aware of that but I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I can't see how a good portion of the NSMB sales are not from that market.

A good chunk of the people who bought only Angry Birds aren't interested in full fledge video games and never will so they're not part of Nintendo's potential market.



Signature goes here!