By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23
DanneSandin said:
@KingofRedLions: thanks for the vids! It makes for a great watch!

You're welcome :)

Around the Network

aww, I want Hyrule Historia but I can't get it right now :(

TheKingofRedLions said:

Thanks for sharing. All I have to say: Those wacky germans :DDD

Hyrule Historia being #1 on Amazon bestsellers is pretty amazing, and unexpected!

About remakes, it really has to be Majora's Mask next. Currently replaying it for the first time, I had forgotten almost everything about the game, and it's really stunning. Now that I've watched (and loved) Twin Peaks in the meantime I can spot the inspirations too, very cool.

I'm not surprised they chose Wind Waker instead for the HD treatment - it's far more family friendly and sunny than MM, also the difference between its original graphics and modern standards is not as big as with the N64 titles. Makes sense that they remake those for the lofi 3DS instead, but it's still too bad.

Another thing that makes a MM remake a bit problematic, imo, is its creepyness! It's almost a horror game in parts, much worse than I remembered (actually it's too dark for my girlfriend). The abstractness of early 3D graphics attenuates this a bit, but what would a modern HD version look like?

S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

(..)

Yeah, I'll try to play it whenever I can! It's just weird, that, if it is all this great (that people say it is) how come it didn't sell well to begin with?? It must be the worst selling home console Zelda ever... Maybe with the exeption of Link's Adventure

It is the 'worst' selling console Zelda game, if you exclude Four Swords Adventures.

The game suffers from the 'second game syndrome', which affects all 2nd Zelda games on any particular console. All second Zelda games on a console (true for both console and handheld games) sell significantly worse than the first, but still it managed about 3.4m coupies which is not dramatic. The Adventure of Link actually was the best selling 'second' game and came relatively the closest to it's predecessor.

Anyway, Majora's Mask is pretty much only praised on the internet. It's basically because it's different from what is usually percieved as 'the regular Zelda game' (even though they're all different) and because it's massively overshadowed in both popularity and recognition by predecessor Ocarina of Time in the real world. Still, like all Zelda games, a great game, but definitely not the best. Personally, I'd rank it (in descending order): Ocarina of Time > Link's Awakening > Twilight Princess > Majora's Mask > Skyward Sword > the others.

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
OneTwoThree said:
Hyrule Historia being #1 on Amazon bestsellers is pretty amazing, and unexpected!

(..)

I know, I'm stunned.

Taking Amazon only, it's at #5 in the UK, #2 in Germany, #5 in France (where it's also sold out), #1 in Spain, #1 in the USA and #1 in Canada. Dark Horse must be real happy they decided to pick this up!

EDIT: Even in Japan this English version is at #64, while they've had their own Japanese version for months now!

DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

(..)

Yeah, I'll try to play it whenever I can! It's just weird, that, if it is all this great (that people say it is) how come it didn't sell well to begin with?? It must be the worst selling home console Zelda ever... Maybe with the exeption of Link's Adventure

It is the 'worst' selling console Zelda game, if you exclude Four Swords Adventures.

The game suffers from the 'second game syndrome', which affects all 2nd Zelda games on any particular console. All second Zelda games on a console (true for both console and handheld games) sell significantly worse than the first, but still it managed about 3.4m coupies which is not dramatic. The Adventure of Link actually was the best selling 'second' game and came relatively the closest to it's predecessor.

Anyway, Majora's Mask is pretty much only praised on the internet. It's basically because it's different from what is usually percieved as 'the regular Zelda game' (even though they're all different) and because it's massively overshadowed in both popularity and recognition by predecessor Ocarina of Time in the real world. Still, like all Zelda games, a great game, but definitely not the best. Personally, I'd rank it (in descending order): Ocarina of Time > Link's Awakening > Twilight Princess > Majora's Mask > Skyward Sword > the others.

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

I wonder if we will see three Zeldas on a console. That has only happened with the GCN and GBC, where the titles were new. I would not count GBC because both the 2nd and 3rd title released during the same day.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

DanneSandin said:

Indeed we haven't had the situation where the first game was a remake yet, that'll be interesting to see .

EDIT: And this also affects the 3DS, where it's first game was the OoT remake. I hope they don't mess with the other's sales then!

S.Peelman said:

Hmm I don't know, there is really something special about it. It's very inspired and coherent, and it doesn't try to be THE definitive Zelda, which you could accuse Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword of. 

Some more thoughts about the series, having replayed Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and now Majora's Mask in recent months: Every Zelda has its weaknesses. For example, Wind Waker's dungeons are quite bland, I realized. It's only when you replay older Zeldas that you appreciate HOW much things have evolved in Skyward Sword... Really, whoever hasn't played SS, DO IT. Gameplay is so refined and deep, you'll have a hard time going back to previous titles.

My current favourites: SS > MM > TP > OoT > WW > aLttP > LA > PH > LoZ > ST > AoL > OoS/A > MC. 

The 2D oldies might rank higher, haven't played them in years. DS games are in the midrange, hated the Capcom parts. 

Wow, i never heard of BS Zelda, that's so cool! They should release it as a download.

Majora's mask is simply an excellent game. It lacks the epic straightforward story line of OoT, and it's darker and weirder, making it in some ways a less pleasent experience.

On the flip side, it is very unique and extremely well executed. It's a Zelda game that would be outstanding even if it wasn't Zelda. The time travel and passage of time element is really cool. The locales are very imaginitive. Transformation abilities are actually cool and useful - unlike being trapped as a wolf. It's like an odd Zelda daydream, and I think its uniqueness has made it timeless. It's a game that isn't surpassed by sequels, because it is its own unique story. Areas like its snowy mountan zone and water zones are really fun to explore. If you are sick of conventions and want a Zelda that is totally different, this is your game.