By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23
CaptainExplosion said:

That little white Rito flying with Link, is that Teba's son?

Absolutely!

It's great that there will be what looks like more interactivity with NPCs, fighting alongside them etc.

And there were plenty of sections that look like dungeons to me. That structure rising out of the desert sand could be the arbiter's grounds.

And there's a wing suit now.

Around the Network

The return of Ganondorf (expected) and the champions fighting with Link in a new way (unexpected) have got me pretty hyped.
I'm expecting shrines again in lieu of dungeons, but it's pretty tough to say at this point. I suppose we'll know once the game releases.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

That little white Rito flying with Link, is that Teba's son?

Absolutely!

It's great that there will be what looks like more interactivity with NPCs, fighting alongside them etc.

And there were plenty of sections that look like dungeons to me. That structure rising out of the desert sand could be the arbiter's grounds.

And there's a wing suit now.

Didn't recognize him, thought he'd grown since Breath of The Wild.

super_etecoon said:

If there are any fans out there who are still claiming that they're not excited for this game, that is more on them than it is on Aonuma's team and Nintendo. I would have been content with half of what they showed in this trailer. So much happening so fast.

Now comes the hard part: waiting for the next 29 days to play the game. But if I'm being honest, that time is going to fly right by and I'll miss having this game to look forward to.

Well, I'm a Zelda fan, and to be honest I'm marginally more excited than I was before this trailer, but given that I didn't really find BotW that great, I'm not expecting this to be something I will like very much as well.

The defining feature of Zelda for me has always been "key and lock" mechanism, be it actual or metaphorical - that is, item gated progression game design. Combined with semi-open worlds, that is what has defined Zelda from the beginning, for good or worse.

Now, I don't mind "emergent" gameplay (that word gets tossed around in the last few years way too much), quite the opposite. It was fun when Ultima did it 30+ years ago, it is the core of TTRPGs (can't really think of any D&D or otherwise session without at least one "Player: Can I do this? DM: You can certainly try.") and I welcome the games that try to incorporate it into its design. It's just that I find that BotW design didn't do that great good job at it, and along the way it lost some of the key (pun intended) components of decades long Zelda game design.

Maybe sometimes in the future they will improve on the current formula and bring the pendulum back into equilibrium (I think it swung too much in the opposite direction from Aonuma's 3D Zeldas, which have their own problems compared to 2D Zeldas). But, just as I don't like new Tomb Raiders, since they ditched TR formula and became different games with TR label slapped on them, I don't feel compelled to like new Zelda just because it's called Zelda.

We all have opinions sure but if BOTW didn't do a good job at emergent gameplay then that quite frankly means no game has given that the tonnes of videos highlighting the reality to be the opposite to that view. The lock and key structure is what held the series back and I say that as a long time fan since the early days and the irony is that BOTW'S freedom returns the series to what made the very first game fascinating.

It was never dungeons and such it was the free sense of adventure and this is what really got lost in the series and why it's mainstream appeal was limited. Nintendo mistook the lock and key structure as what made the series and as a result the series became an expanded dungeon crawler rather than the free adventure it started out as and they started to realise this back with SS. 

BOTW rightly returned the franchise to what it started out as and put a template in place to maintain that, rather than a lock and key structure that limits and restricts the adventure and gameplay we have the free open adventure that allows the player to tailor the adventure more to their liking than a rigid structure that doesn't budge. 

Around the Network

Awesome trailer!

So much to see, areas, mechanics, story stuff, enemies, what looks like dungeons and bosses, or at least elaborated underground areas, and last but not least Ganondorf. Which is great. I’d say this should take away many concerns some people had, because it looks great.

Wyrdness said:

We all have opinions sure but if BOTW didn't do a good job at emergent gameplay then that quite frankly means no game has given that the tonnes of videos highlighting the reality to be the opposite to that view. The lock and key structure is what held the series back and I say that as a long time fan since the early days and the irony is that BOTW'S freedom returns the series to what made the very first game fascinating.

It was never dungeons and such it was the free sense of adventure and this is what really got lost in the series and why it's mainstream appeal was limited. Nintendo mistook the lock and key structure as what made the series and as a result the series became an expanded dungeon crawler rather than the free adventure it started out as and they started to realise this back with SS. 

BOTW rightly returned the franchise to what it started out as and put a template in place to maintain that, rather than a lock and key structure that limits and restricts the adventure and gameplay we have the free open adventure that allows the player to tailor the adventure more to their liking than a rigid structure that doesn't budge. 

Sure, we all have opinions, a lot of people obviously like BotW design, I have nothing against that. It’s just that "return to roots" mantra that's been around since it launched is...well, not really true. First Zelda is a gated semi-open world, that heavily relies on "key and lock" mechanism. I only wished that BotW was more like it. Aonuma's 3D Zeldas were a step in the wrong direction, unbalancing the original formula. BotW is, IMO, another step in the wrong direction, unbalancing the formula in the opposite direction. This is why I hope that eventually they will rebalance the formula and actually make it more like original Zelda.

As for emergent gameplay, as I said, I like when games have emergent gameplay. I like it even more when that gameplay is not limited to certain developer approved subsystems and areas, like in BotW.

Wanted to share this comic someone made after the big Ganon reveal.

Anyone out there who loves Zelda and Splatoon in equal measure? Check out these new t-shirts at the Nintendo store:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-courage/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-wisdom/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-power/

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Anyone out there who loves Zelda and Splatoon in equal measure? Check out these new t-shirts at the Nintendo store:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-courage/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-wisdom/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-power/

Real life merch for a Splatfest?