By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

Indeed we haven't had the situation where the first game was a remake yet, that'll be interesting to see .

EDIT: And this also affects the 3DS, where it's first game was the OoT remake. I hope they don't mess with the other's sales then!

Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see how this will effect Zelda (both on3DS and Wii U)!

AlphaCielago also brought up an interesting question; when, if ever, will we see 3 Zelda games on the same console?!

I just realized that we do have somewhat of a precedent here.

On GameBoy Advance, the first Zelda was the remake of A Link to the Past along with Four Swords, and the second the original game Minish Cap. Minish Cap sold way worse than the ALttP remake. I hope that this instance doesn't set the example, but I think (pray) that in that particular case, it's the exception as ALttP is legendary while MC is of relatively low quality.

Secondly:

And saleswise, having a third would indeed be interesting to see just what would happen. Would sales fall further or bounce back up again? We don't know, this hasn't been done yet. Development times are too long though for it to happen I think, unless they go ballistic on remakes which they shouldn't. If timing is correct they can only have up to two original games on each console considering the 'tradional' console life-cycle.

The GameBoy is the only console which could be considered for this comparison, but it's tricky. Putting both GB and GBC together as one, it has four Zelda games, but actually just two. Link's Awakening has a coloured remaster and the Oracle games are similar to Pokémon's concept. Still, in sales they would translate to LA > LADX > OoA > OoS, or combining them to LA > OoX. But like I said, there's no fair comparison in it.

hmmm that's quite an interesting observation! I do hope that Zelda U will be a great game and sell huge numbers though!

But what if they make a cohesive trilogy, using the same engine for all games? Mass Effect managed to get a new installment every second year or so...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Cheebee said:

DanneSandin said:

I don't think we'll see 3 console Zeldas on the same system as long as Nintendo is developing it. Maybe if Retro is allowed to make a trilogy...

Yeah, because Retro's known for really putting out a lot of games, fast. ;) I wouldn't count on it.

No, I don't count on it =) But didn't they manage to put out the Metroid Prime series relatively fast?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

Indeed we haven't had the situation where the first game was a remake yet, that'll be interesting to see .

EDIT: And this also affects the 3DS, where it's first game was the OoT remake. I hope they don't mess with the other's sales then!

Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see how this will effect Zelda (both on3DS and Wii U)!

AlphaCielago also brought up an interesting question; when, if ever, will we see 3 Zelda games on the same console?!

That's a good question. We might see it on Wii U, if you count the remake of Wind Waker. Still, I don't want EAD to rush any Zelda game to market. As long as we get one new Wii U Zelda and one new 3DS Zelda, I will be happy.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see 3 Zeldas on the same system unless there's a thought behind that. I don't want it to become a new AC or CoD; but why not something aching to a Mass Effect trilogy?

DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

[...]

[,...]
[...]

That's a good question. We might see it on Wii U, if you count the remake of Wind Waker. Still, I don't want EAD to rush any Zelda game to market. As long as we get one new Wii U Zelda and one new 3DS Zelda, I will be happy.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see 3 Zeldas on the same system unless there's a thought behind that. I don't want it to become a new AC or CoD; but why not something aching to a Mass Effect trilogy?

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

(..)

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?

(wish you could multiquote, DanneSandin should also get the blue notifier here...)

It would be awesome if they'd tried that again. A little anecdote:

They attempted it once, the games were going to be called 'Mystical Seed of Courage', 'Mystical Seed of Wisdom' and 'Mystical Seed of Power'. Or rather those were the project names at any rate, dubbed the 'Triforce Trilogy'. On of them, 'Power', was supposed to be a remake of the NES original with new story elements that would tie in with the other two. Canonically it would become a mess of course, because the original NES game would be retconned out of existence and the second NES game would become detached from the rest.  I think it's unknown if the other two would be based on the games directly tied to the NES original; ALttP and Zelda II. But anyway, that was not the reason they decided to cancel it.

The idea was to connect these games storywise, during the story of the other games. Making an extremely non-linear experience if considerd as a whole. Through connecting the three games, you would unlock the entire story in all of them. This is when it became complicated, and all kinds of sollutions were tried. They landed on a complicated password system to freely move gamedata and play one game at a time. However, they got in over their heads when the passwords too proved too complicated to work satisfactory across three games. This is when Miyamoto 'suggested' the developers to switch to just two games. Story elements remain, but with some rewrites to the stories of the now two games, these would become 'Oracle of Seasons' and 'Oracle of Ages'.

It is obvious that 'Seasons' was to be 'Mystical Seed of Power', as almost all of this game's bosses are directly out of the NES original. This is also supported based on the main color theme in-game and of the boxart (red), which means 'Mystical Seed of Wisdom' became 'Ages' (blue) and 'Courage' (which would be green) was dropped.

In Minish Cap, there is a side-quest involving the three 'oracles', and there are a couple of subtle quotes that hint towards the fact that only two of them got their own game, and the third was cancelled.

Nowadays, they probably should be able to do this on the WiiU as everything could be done through the savegames on the system memory. Of course, they could also just do a traditional trilogy where the games all stand-alone and follow each other linearly. I think it would be a cool idea, if they find a way to not make it repetitive and have each game have some kind of unique feature, or something .

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

(..)

(My version of the multiquote, just so you'd get the blue notification icon too)

Post above is also directed at you.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:

S.Peelman said:

(wish you could multiquote, DanneSandin should also get the blue notifier here...)

It would be awesome if they'd tried that again. A little anecdote:

[Long and interesting anecdote]

Nowadays, they probably should be able to do this on the WiiU as everything could be done through the savegames on the system memory. Of course, they could also just do a traditional trilogy where the games all stand-alone and follow each other linearly. I think it would be a cool idea, if they find a way to not make it repetitive and have each game have some kind of unique feature, or something .

Did both of you get a blue notifier?!

Interesting anecdote! Although, I already knew it was planned as a trilogy, it was interesting nonetheless!

But yeah, I think I and Veknoid is thinking in the same line of thinking here! A trilogy about each Triforce, and a story stretching over all the games, ties together, but still playable by themselves. If done right it would be a great experience! And to be honest, I'm not sure Nintendo can do this right, so it would be better off with Retro imo - or maybe Monolith? I think they've proven themselves that they can make one hell of a story with Xenoblade...

I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Don't know if it has to be a trilogy, but one thing I've realized when replaying MM (mentioned that in an earlier post) is: Nintendo should take the pressure off of themselves to make the be-all-end-all Zelda that beats every previous milestone in every respect. MM is so cool because it is a sidestep to these expectations.

Nintendo should do that again: sidestep expectations. Make a smaller Zelda, make a Zelda that only happens in a dream, make 2 Zeldas that play in radically different, complemetary settings, make a Zelda that starts with, dunno, Link dying and Zelda having to travel back and prevent it from happening, make a Zelda that starts with a previous bossfight but a different ending... I'm sure they can come up with way better, weirder stuff than I. 

They can't please everybody anymore at this point, anyway. Making the better OoT or aLttP is a hopeless undertaking - not because they cannot achieve this (imo Zelda games keep improving, largely), but because of fans' nostalgia.

Roma said:
I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

No offense, but I think this doesn't make much sense. If you keep in mind how Nintendo develops their games - based around gameplay mechanics, not stories or visuals - it's obvious that it wouldn't work. LTTP is built upon the top-down view and the obstacles and secrets that work in that perspective.

Take some random portion of the game - there's a river and the bridge is broken, so you can't see what's behind it. All you see is that tree stump you'll later be able to use the hookshot on. So, in third person 3D, what does that scene look like? Things will be visible way before their time. You'll be able to see the castle from Link's house. You WON'T see some lower floor in a dungeon where you're supposed to fall though a hole. And so on. 

I once read somewhere that OoT was at first planned as a LTTP-in-3D remake. I'm not surprised they decided to make a new game instead.