By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: Breath of the Wild Arrives in 2022, Zelda Game & Watch This December

 

How do you want Nintendo to celebrate 35 years of Zelda?

Breath of the Wild 2 19 44.19%
 
Skyward Sword HD (you're in luck!) 5 11.63%
 
A full-fledged remake of an older game 5 11.63%
 
Ocarina + Majora remaster collection 2 4.65%
 
Wind Waker HD + Twilight ... 4 9.30%
 
Zelda-themed Switch console 0 0%
 
A brand new 2D Zelda 4 9.30%
 
Paper Zelda 2 4.65%
 
Other 2 4.65%
 
Total:43

I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!



    R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(


Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?


Don't know if it has to be a trilogy, but one thing I've realized when replaying MM (mentioned that in an earlier post) is: Nintendo should take the pressure off of themselves to make the be-all-end-all Zelda that beats every previous milestone in every respect. MM is so cool because it is a sidestep to these expectations.

Nintendo should do that again: sidestep expectations. Make a smaller Zelda, make a Zelda that only happens in a dream, make 2 Zeldas that play in radically different, complemetary settings, make a Zelda that starts with, dunno, Link dying and Zelda having to travel back and prevent it from happening, make a Zelda that starts with a previous bossfight but a different ending... I'm sure they can come up with way better, weirder stuff than I. 

They can't please everybody anymore at this point, anyway. Making the better OoT or aLttP is a hopeless undertaking - not because they cannot achieve this (imo Zelda games keep improving, largely), but because of fans' nostalgia.



Roma said:
I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

No offense, but I think this doesn't make much sense. If you keep in mind how Nintendo develops their games - based around gameplay mechanics, not stories or visuals - it's obvious that it wouldn't work. LTTP is built upon the top-down view and the obstacles and secrets that work in that perspective.

Take some random portion of the game - there's a river and the bridge is broken, so you can't see what's behind it. All you see is that tree stump you'll later be able to use the hookshot on. So, in third person 3D, what does that scene look like? Things will be visible way before their time. You'll be able to see the castle from Link's house. You WON'T see some lower floor in a dungeon where you're supposed to fall though a hole. And so on. 

I once read somewhere that OoT was at first planned as a LTTP-in-3D remake. I'm not surprised they decided to make a new game instead. 



OneTwoThree said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?


Don't know if it has to be a trilogy, but one thing I've realized when replaying MM (mentioned that in an earlier post) is: Nintendo should take the pressure off of themselves to make the be-all-end-all Zelda that beats every previous milestone in every respect. MM is so cool because it is a sidestep to these expectations.

Nintendo should do that again: sidestep expectations. Make a smaller Zelda, make a Zelda that only happens in a dream, make 2 Zeldas that play in radically different, complemetary settings, make a Zelda that starts with, dunno, Link dying and Zelda having to travel back and prevent it from happening, make a Zelda that starts with a previous bossfight but a different ending... I'm sure they can come up with way better, weirder stuff than I. 

They can't please everybody anymore at this point, anyway. Making the better OoT or aLttP is a hopeless undertaking - not because they cannot achieve this (imo Zelda games keep improving, largely), but because of fans' nostalgia.

Thing is, although that may sound cool and everything to someone who's played all the Zelda's, I don't think it would sell all too well. Remember how MM and WW didn't sell so good because they didn't fall in line with the expectations people have on a Zelda game?



I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

OneTwoThree said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?


Don't know if it has to be a trilogy, but one thing I've realized when replaying MM (mentioned that in an earlier post) is: Nintendo should take the pressure off of themselves to make the be-all-end-all Zelda that beats every previous milestone in every respect. MM is so cool because it is a sidestep to these expectations.

Nintendo should do that again: sidestep expectations. Make a smaller Zelda, make a Zelda that only happens in a dream, make 2 Zeldas that play in radically different, complemetary settings, make a Zelda that starts with, dunno, Link dying and Zelda having to travel back and prevent it from happening, make a Zelda that starts with a previous bossfight but a different ending... I'm sure they can come up with way better, weirder stuff than I. 

They can't please everybody anymore at this point, anyway. Making the better OoT or aLttP is a hopeless undertaking - not because they cannot achieve this (imo Zelda games keep improving, largely), but because of fans' nostalgia.

Nintendo EAD seems to have a rhythm going: one traditional Zelda, then one unorthodox Zelda. There are a few exceptions, but this seems to be a trend. I really like that strategy, because it keeps the formula fresh and it satisfies a large group of fans.

I don't know, I don't really feel like Nintendo is trying to make an "Ocarina-killer" every time out. With the possible exception of Skyward Sword. I think everyone knew what they were doing with SS: it was meant to reinvent the series. Whether it was successful in doing so is a debate for another time, but it definitely STRIVED for greatness.

Anyway, I think you are right. Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to experiment with Zelda.



Around the Network

DanneSandin said:

(..)

Did both of you get a blue notifier?!

Interesting anecdote! Although, I already knew it was planned as a trilogy, it was interesting nonetheless!

But yeah, I think I and Veknoid is thinking in the same line of thinking here! A trilogy about each Triforce, and a story stretching over all the games, ties together, but still playable by themselves. If done right it would be a great experience! And to be honest, I'm not sure Nintendo can do this right, so it would be better off with Retro imo - or maybe Monolith? I think they've proven themselves that they can make one hell of a story with Xenoblade...

No, I didn't get it .

I agree it could be a good idea. I would have faith in Nintendo to give us a satifactory story too as they've proven at times they are able to do it if they put their mind to it, but I agree it would also be a good idea to get a few 'story consultants' from their more story-driven teams.

They had the perfect chance to do it in the N64 age. Majora's Mask was released in under two years after Ocarina of Time using the same engine and assets. Also, the Hero of Time's story was still not really completed yet after the ending of MM so a third game would've fit perfectly. Now we only know what happens to that Link from the prologues of other games and subtle in-game hints throughout the series. 

If only the N64 lived for a year longer.

I think they would already be too late to do something like it for the WiiU like we talked about earlier. Given a two year development time and assuming the first game is due in 2014 at the earliest (going by today's rumors), the other would release in 2016 and the third in 2018. The last would have to be on the next gen system or be a Twilight Princess situation. Not that I'm complaining .



I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS :)



gatito said:
I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS :)

How do you like it? How does it compare to the original?



Veknoid_Outcast said:
gatito said:
I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS :)

How do you like it? How does it compare to the original?


Guess  I'm not the right person to answer that, I never played the original :P My best friend is a huge Zelda fan and he got me the 3DS version for Christmas.

It's a great game, there's no doubt about it.



S.Peelman said:

DanneSandin said:

(..)

 

Did both of you get a blue notifier?!

Interesting anecdote! Although, I already knew it was planned as a trilogy, it was interesting nonetheless!

But yeah, I think I and Veknoid is thinking in the same line of thinking here! A trilogy about each Triforce, and a story stretching over all the games, ties together, but still playable by themselves. If done right it would be a great experience! And to be honest, I'm not sure Nintendo can do this right, so it would be better off with Retro imo - or maybe Monolith? I think they've proven themselves that they can make one hell of a story with Xenoblade...

 

No, I didn't get it .

I agree it could be a good idea. I would have faith in Nintendo to give us a satifactory story too as they've proven at times they are able to do it if they put their mind to it, but I agree it would also be a good idea to get a few 'story consultants' from their more story-driven teams.

They had the perfect chance to do it in the N64 age. Majora's Mask was released in under two years after Ocarina of Time using the same engine and assets. Also, the Hero of Time's story was still not really completed yet after the ending of MM so a third game would've fit perfectly. Now we only know what happens to that Link from the prologues of other games and subtle in-game hints throughout the series. 

If only the N64 lived for a year longer.

I think they would already be too late to do something like it for the WiiU like we talked about earlier. Given a two year development time and assuming the first game is due in 2014 at the earliest (going by today's rumors), the other would release in 2016 and the third in 2018. The last would have to be on the next gen system or be a Twilight Princess situation. Not that I'm complaining .

Damn you VGC!!

Yeah, they actually managed to tell a pretty good story in Skyward Swords (and OoT as well, back in the day), but I agree; taking help from someone outside would be a good thing - especially if they're making a trilogy.

What?! The stories continued after that game??? What happened to him???

I'm just gonna speculate here, but what if - WHAT IF - Retro was given the Zelda franchise after their latest project? That would mean that they could possibly start working on it in 2014 already, and might have it done for release in 2017/2018 for the launch of Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (UNES), similar how TP was on both GC and Wii. Then they could release the second part in 2020, and the last part in 2022/2023, which also could help to launch the Super Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (SUNES)??I say awesome!



I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.