By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: Breath of the Wild Arrives in 2022, Zelda Game & Watch This December

How do you want Nintendo to celebrate 35 years of Zelda?

Breath of the Wild 2 16 40.00%

Skyward Sword HD (you're in luck!) 5 12.50%

A full-fledged remake of an older game 5 12.50%

Ocarina + Majora remaster collection 2 5.00%

Wind Waker HD + Twilight ... 4 10.00%

Zelda-themed Switch console 0 0%

A brand new 2D Zelda 4 10.00%

Paper Zelda 2 5.00%

Other 2 5.00%

Total:40

DanneSandin said:

I don't think we'll see 3 console Zeldas on the same system as long as Nintendo is developing it. Maybe if Retro is allowed to make a trilogy...

Yeah, because Retro's known for really putting out a lot of games, fast. ;) I wouldn't count on it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

Indeed we haven't had the situation where the first game was a remake yet, that'll be interesting to see .

EDIT: And this also affects the 3DS, where it's first game was the OoT remake. I hope they don't mess with the other's sales then!

Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see how this will effect Zelda (both on3DS and Wii U)!

AlphaCielago also brought up an interesting question; when, if ever, will we see 3 Zelda games on the same console?!

That's a good question. We might see it on Wii U, if you count the remake of Wind Waker. Still, I don't want EAD to rush any Zelda game to market. As long as we get one new Wii U Zelda and one new 3DS Zelda, I will be happy.

AlphaCielago said:
DanneSandin said:
AlphaCielago said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

(..)

Yeah, I'll try to play it whenever I can! It's just weird, that, if it is all this great (that people say it is) how come it didn't sell well to begin with?? It must be the worst selling home console Zelda ever... Maybe with the exeption of Link's Adventure

It is the 'worst' selling console Zelda game, if you exclude Four Swords Adventures.

The game suffers from the 'second game syndrome', which affects all 2nd Zelda games on any particular console. All second Zelda games on a console (true for both console and handheld games) sell significantly worse than the first, but still it managed about 3.4m coupies which is not dramatic. The Adventure of Link actually was the best selling 'second' game and came relatively the closest to it's predecessor.

Anyway, Majora's Mask is pretty much only praised on the internet. It's basically because it's different from what is usually percieved as 'the regular Zelda game' (even though they're all different) and because it's massively overshadowed in both popularity and recognition by predecessor Ocarina of Time in the real world. Still, like all Zelda games, a great game, but definitely not the best. Personally, I'd rank it (in descending order): Ocarina of Time > Link's Awakening > Twilight Princess > Majora's Mask > Skyward Sword > the others.

Wouldn't this mean that Zelda U will sell less than the WW remake? ^^ But yeah, I've heard (and seen) that the second games on any console sell less for the Zelda series...

I wonder if we will see three Zeldas on a console. That has only happened with the GCN and GBC, where the titles were new. I would not count GBC because both the 2nd and 3rd title released during the same day.

Naaaw, I don't think so... Not this gen. We'll see the next true next gen Zelda in 2014 at the earliest - maybe (probably?) in 2015. That just leaves too little time to develop another Zelda for the Wii U, since they'll probably launch their next console in 2017/2018. If we're lucky they'll pull another Twilight Princess and release the game together with the next Nintendo console. That's what I think anyways.

I don't think we'll see 3 console Zeldas on the same system as long as Nintendo is developing it. Maybe if Retro is allowed to make a trilogy...

Depends if the third one is a remake. The most possible remakes would the be a 2D Zelda, since I can't see Twilight being remade for the Wii U.

Yeah, I can imagine a 16 bit remake of the Original LoZ, or something like that... Don't think we'll see a TP remake until next gen ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

Indeed we haven't had the situation where the first game was a remake yet, that'll be interesting to see .

EDIT: And this also affects the 3DS, where it's first game was the OoT remake. I hope they don't mess with the other's sales then!

Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see how this will effect Zelda (both on3DS and Wii U)!

AlphaCielago also brought up an interesting question; when, if ever, will we see 3 Zelda games on the same console?!

I just realized that we do have somewhat of a precedent here.

On GameBoy Advance, the first Zelda was the remake of A Link to the Past along with Four Swords, and the second the original game Minish Cap. Minish Cap sold way worse than the ALttP remake. I hope that this instance doesn't set the example, but I think (pray) that in that particular case, it's the exception as ALttP is legendary while MC is of relatively low quality.

Secondly:

And saleswise, having a third would indeed be interesting to see just what would happen. Would sales fall further or bounce back up again? We don't know, this hasn't been done yet. Development times are too long though for it to happen I think, unless they go ballistic on remakes which they shouldn't. If timing is correct they can only have up to two original games on each console considering the 'tradional' console life-cycle.

The GameBoy is the only console which could be considered for this comparison, but it's tricky. Putting both GB and GBC together as one, it has four Zelda games, but actually just two. Link's Awakening has a coloured remaster and the Oracle games are similar to Pokémon's concept. Still, in sales they would translate to LA > LADX > OoA > OoS, or combining them to LA > OoX. But like I said, there's no fair comparison in it.

hmmm that's quite an interesting observation! I do hope that Zelda U will be a great game and sell huge numbers though!

But what if they make a cohesive trilogy, using the same engine for all games? Mass Effect managed to get a new installment every second year or so...

Cheebee said:

DanneSandin said:

Yeah, because Retro's known for really putting out a lot of games, fast. ;) I wouldn't count on it.

No, I don't count on it =) But didn't they manage to put out the Metroid Prime series relatively fast?

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

That's a good question. We might see it on Wii U, if you count the remake of Wind Waker. Still, I don't want EAD to rush any Zelda game to market. As long as we get one new Wii U Zelda and one new 3DS Zelda, I will be happy.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see 3 Zeldas on the same system unless there's a thought behind that. I don't want it to become a new AC or CoD; but why not something aching to a Mass Effect trilogy?

DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:

[...]

[,...]
[...]

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see 3 Zeldas on the same system unless there's a thought behind that. I don't want it to become a new AC or CoD; but why not something aching to a Mass Effect trilogy?

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

(..)

That's...actually not a bad idea. A Zelda trilogy, if handled correctly, could be really good. Maybe each game could focus on a single piece of the Triforce?

(wish you could multiquote, DanneSandin should also get the blue notifier here...)

It would be awesome if they'd tried that again. A little anecdote:

They attempted it once, the games were going to be called 'Mystical Seed of Courage', 'Mystical Seed of Wisdom' and 'Mystical Seed of Power'. Or rather those were the project names at any rate, dubbed the 'Triforce Trilogy'. On of them, 'Power', was supposed to be a remake of the NES original with new story elements that would tie in with the other two. Canonically it would become a mess of course, because the original NES game would be retconned out of existence and the second NES game would become detached from the rest.  I think it's unknown if the other two would be based on the games directly tied to the NES original; ALttP and Zelda II. But anyway, that was not the reason they decided to cancel it.

The idea was to connect these games storywise, during the story of the other games. Making an extremely non-linear experience if considerd as a whole. Through connecting the three games, you would unlock the entire story in all of them. This is when it became complicated, and all kinds of sollutions were tried. They landed on a complicated password system to freely move gamedata and play one game at a time. However, they got in over their heads when the passwords too proved too complicated to work satisfactory across three games. This is when Miyamoto 'suggested' the developers to switch to just two games. Story elements remain, but with some rewrites to the stories of the now two games, these would become 'Oracle of Seasons' and 'Oracle of Ages'.

It is obvious that 'Seasons' was to be 'Mystical Seed of Power', as almost all of this game's bosses are directly out of the NES original. This is also supported based on the main color theme in-game and of the boxart (red), which means 'Mystical Seed of Wisdom' became 'Ages' (blue) and 'Courage' (which would be green) was dropped.

In Minish Cap, there is a side-quest involving the three 'oracles', and there are a couple of subtle quotes that hint towards the fact that only two of them got their own game, and the third was cancelled.

Nowadays, they probably should be able to do this on the WiiU as everything could be done through the savegames on the system memory. Of course, they could also just do a traditional trilogy where the games all stand-alone and follow each other linearly. I think it would be a cool idea, if they find a way to not make it repetitive and have each game have some kind of unique feature, or something .

DanneSandin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

(..)

(My version of the multiquote, just so you'd get the blue notification icon too)

Post above is also directed at you.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:

S.Peelman said:

(wish you could multiquote, DanneSandin should also get the blue notifier here...)

It would be awesome if they'd tried that again. A little anecdote:

[Long and interesting anecdote]

Nowadays, they probably should be able to do this on the WiiU as everything could be done through the savegames on the system memory. Of course, they could also just do a traditional trilogy where the games all stand-alone and follow each other linearly. I think it would be a cool idea, if they find a way to not make it repetitive and have each game have some kind of unique feature, or something .

Did both of you get a blue notifier?!

Interesting anecdote! Although, I already knew it was planned as a trilogy, it was interesting nonetheless!

But yeah, I think I and Veknoid is thinking in the same line of thinking here! A trilogy about each Triforce, and a story stretching over all the games, ties together, but still playable by themselves. If done right it would be a great experience! And to be honest, I'm not sure Nintendo can do this right, so it would be better off with Retro imo - or maybe Monolith? I think they've proven themselves that they can make one hell of a story with Xenoblade...