By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23
Kakadu18 said:
HoloDust said:

Well, hopefully they are not like BotW "dungeons", aka Divine Beasts. From what I understand there are

Spoiler!
5 dungeons and one castle

we're yet to see do they lean more toward classic Zelda dungeons/temples or half-hearted attempts like Divine Beasts.

I have not seen them in detail, but I've read impressions and they are that the first dungeon already is significantly better than any divine beast and a ton of fun.

Classic Zelda dungeons usually had puzzles with only one possible sollution, which is something I hope never ever returns in any future Zelda game. A mixture of Hyrule Castle and puzzles like in the shrines and the divine beasts in BotW is what I hope it will be like.

While the divine beasts were very samey and short, they did have some great puzzles. Something bigger, with a mini-boss in the middle and more intricate level design and genuinely great bosses would be what I'd want. That huge golem shown in one of the trailers apparently is an incredible boss fight early on, but I haven't seen it myself.

Well, hopefully TotK dungeons are significantly better than BotW's. I don't know - I'm one of those who don't like BotW very much, and, IMO, Nintendo did a piss poor job at communicating that they improved on its flaws - most of what they were interested in showing was more of " physics shenanigans in Hyrule".

I fully support multi-solutions to problems, after all that is what I'm used to in decades of properly done RPGs. For example, location I liked the most in BotW, Gerudo Town, annoyed me to no end with its "one solution to enter" problem, which is more than fine for me if the whole game is like that, but most irritating if parts of game are all about multiple solutions and other parts are restricting you completely, like BotW was.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

Oh, it was certainly expected that they would continue in BotW direction - after all they are most interested in sales. Then again, I have no problem imagining in my mind Zelda that is open world AND has a lot of designs that defined Zelda for decades. Not that I actually expected they would fully listen to people that were dissatisfied with BotW, but I was hoping they would listen to at least some of the critique.

But, I haven't seen that much, maybe some 10-11 hours, and that only in bits and snippets. It is possible there are things later in the game that are much more like classic Zeldas that I don't know nothing about at the moment. As I said, knowing there is underground is enough for me to decide to play it, though I would probably try to play it with as little as possible usage of crafting/physics shenanigans - akin to that guy that played BotW without climbing.

It wasn't just the open world that made BOTW so insanely popular though, the physics stuff and freeform approach to gameplay were a big part of it too. The lock and key progression style of classic Zelda would run counter to that and would risk not appealing to the new players who made BOTW so successful.

Yeah, I guess there is no turning back after BotW and the sales it made. For many, BotW is the first Zelda they ever played, just like for many Fallout 3 is first Fallout they ever played (fairly descent game, pretty shoddy Fallout game), so there's that market as well. For me BotW is fairly descent open world game, but not a very good Zelda game - maybe TotK will be better, I don't know, one way or the other, they have a sale from me cause my son likes it, so I have no option but to buy it (well, technically I do have an option, but I'd be teaching him the wrong lesson that way).

Around the Network

BOTW is the first Zelda I ever played. And TOTK is way better on every point

So from the videos I've seen, it looks like it will have only one save slot like BotW on Switch which is disappointing (unless you make another profile).

BasilZero said:

So from the videos I've seen, it looks like it will have only one save slot like BotW on Switch which is disappointing (unless you make another profile).

Indeed

HoloDust said:
Kakadu18 said:

I have not seen them in detail, but I've read impressions and they are that the first dungeon already is significantly better than any divine beast and a ton of fun.

Classic Zelda dungeons usually had puzzles with only one possible sollution, which is something I hope never ever returns in any future Zelda game. A mixture of Hyrule Castle and puzzles like in the shrines and the divine beasts in BotW is what I hope it will be like.

While the divine beasts were very samey and short, they did have some great puzzles. Something bigger, with a mini-boss in the middle and more intricate level design and genuinely great bosses would be what I'd want. That huge golem shown in one of the trailers apparently is an incredible boss fight early on, but I haven't seen it myself.

Well, hopefully TotK dungeons are significantly better than BotW's. I don't know - I'm one of those who don't like BotW very much, and, IMO, Nintendo did a piss poor job at communicating that they improved on its flaws - most of what they were interested in showing was more of " physics shenanigans in Hyrule".

Like I said, they very clearly heavily improved upon practically all of the biggest complaints that people had with BotW. Or did you not see that comment I made?

Weapon durability, enemy variety, dungeon and their bosses, some people thought combat wasn't very rewarding, with monster parts for example being mostly useless. That's not the case in TotK anymore. Engaging in combat is much more rewarding in TotK because every enemy leaves something that can be fused with weapons and make them stronger and more durable or give them special stats, or they drop parts that can be thrown into these mashines to get parts for vehicles.

These "physics shenanigans" have much more of a point to them than in BotW. Being mandatory for traversal in the sky for example and improving weapons.

Do you not think that the physics system makes combat more fun?

Your so called "physics shenanigans" are not a flaw of BotW, they are one of the highest praised aspects of the game and are still being called revolutionary.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 07 May 2023

Around the Network

I hope more classic enemies are in Tears of The Kingdom, like Tektites or Peahats.

My pre-order copy will only arive at the end of may, now i will need to be careful about spoilers for one entire month :(

Thisar said:

My pre-order copy will only arive at the end of may, now i will need to be careful about spoilers for one entire month :(

That is brutal. If it were me I would get a voucher and get it digitally and keep the physical copy sealed. 

super_etecoon said:
Thisar said:

That is brutal. If it were me I would get a voucher and get it digitally and keep the physical copy sealed. 

I could do that, but the pre-order already cost me 80usd (physical nintendo games cost 10usd more here). I will just play my backlog till the retailer sends it and save the money for a potential DLC or Pikimin 4

Kakadu18 said:
KratosLives said:

What is the best set up for a game like this on an Lgc2 oled? I have my zelda bundle arriving next next week. Oh and I opened my first switch game last week, but it had a tiny cartridge inside, is this game disc that the system reads off or does it use the internet to download the game on the drive. Because i'm thinking how on earth can a full game fit onto this tiny thing.

Some games have a day one patch that gets downloaded but most of it should be on the cartridge unless it's some collection by Capcom or Square Enix were only one part is on the cartridge or something like that. These cartridges mostly are 8GB or 16GB in some rare cases 32GB. TotK they compressed down to 15.9GB like a few weeks ago from 17GB probably to be able to use the cheaper 16GB cartridges and not need an extra download.

But I mean these cartridges are huge compared to microSD cards that can be up to 2TB. But those are much more expensive and fragile.

The biggest Switch games are 30 something GB. Discs are just to big for such a small device.

Which game did you get?

I got mario kart 8. I've never owned mario kart, but there is small sentimental value. When I was around 11, I was at the airport, and came a cross a duty free store, and they had a Nintendo 64 set up with mario kart 64, and it was the most amazing thing i'd ever seen. My cousin and I were on it for an hr.  I feel like this would be a fun game to do two player with my wife.

Also got metroid prime remastered. Never played the series. I will have to eventually buy a mario game aswell. Either odyssey first or the mario land /world remastered.