By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 25.00%

A Link to the Past 10 41.67%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.33%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 16.67%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.17%

Other 1 4.17%

Total:24
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The CE is up on Best Buy.

It was on sale but now shows only "Coming Soon"

The TotK Amiibo is now available for preorder at Best Buy.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

I'll buy it for sure but yeah, a bit underwhelming after six years.

Maybe they're hiding something amazing, but it feels like just a lot of random stuff dropped onto BOTW, like a hundred mods at once or something made by a B-Team.

I still think the game's gonna be amazing, but they sure dropped the ball on the marketing.

Today's trailer was kinda funny. It started looking for all the world like it was their attempt at recreating that magic BotW trailer, but then like halfway through they just gave up and put the logo there.

mZuzek said:
haxxiy said:

I'll buy it for sure but yeah, a bit underwhelming after six years.

Maybe they're hiding something amazing, but it feels like just a lot of random stuff dropped onto BOTW, like a hundred mods at once or something made by a B-Team.

I still think the game's gonna be amazing, but they sure dropped the ball on the marketing.

Today's trailer was kinda funny. It started looking for all the world like it was their attempt at recreating that magic BotW trailer, but then like halfway through they just gave up and put the logo there.

Honestly, I think it is also mostly our expectations of them needing to exceed what some people would call an all time trailer that is skewing our judgement and enjoyment of these.

I mean, the trailer was good and I'm almost happy to think they're prolly not pulling the trick of showing every interesting story moments of the game in that trailer just like what happened to BOTW in insight, again.

Anywoo, my guess is the best trailer has yet to happen until the obvious Zelda TOTK direct which I will not watch cuz I feel like the last one did what it needed to convince me to buy my first *sigh* 90 CAD$ game.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

mZuzek said:
RolStoppable said:

The Wind Waker (not well-received) which led to Twilight Princess (well-received)

????????????????

And if you mean sales... Yeah Wind Waker sold around half of Twilight Princess' numbers... on a userbase roughly 6 times smaller.

Of course I am talking about sales when I respond to a post that was talking about sales. The Wind Waker sold about half of what Ocarina of Time sold to a userbase that was only 1.5 times bigger, so you botched your attempt at bringing userbase into this. But the thing is that an IP like Zelda is supposed to sell the hardware itself, so the userbase argument doesn't make all too much sense to begin with. Remember how Switch was doomed because it had only one good launch game in Breath of the Wild? That didn't matter, because BotW was deemed to be so good that people bought the console for just that one game without having any regrets or the need to think twice about that. Ocarina of Time sold N64 hardware, but The Wind Waker fell flat because people were put off by the artstyle.

Now as for the Tears of the Kingdom trailer, it's not looking good for the sequel to Breath of the Wild. The trailer looked like an effort to hide things while being meant to sell tons of preorders before gamers catch on what's up and lose interest. When you compare this to Breath of the Wild where Nintendo was so proud of the game that they built their entire E3 booth around it, it's like night and day. It appears that Aonuma strikes again by creating a blend of the two latest Zeldas, just like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess got meshed together to result in Skyward Sword. Nintendo shows us the world of Breath of the Wild, but doesn't want us to show the new defining aspects of Tears of the Kingdom; it seems their sales department knows what's up, hence why we got the trailer we got.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Okay. I'm all caught up. So Nintendo's indeed really stingy about this game, with this new, short, trailer, we again still know basically nothing.

I agree the trailer isn't really improving my hype, but I'm sure the game will be excellent nonetheless. Why wouldn't it be. At least we heard the voice of Ganondorf (I think).

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

At least we heard the voice of Ganondorf (I think).

I spent all of Breath of the Wild eagerly anticipating the ending when I'd get to hear Ganondorf's voice, only to be disappointed.

Now it's here and, uhh, I'm not feeling it. Sounded really cringy, like someone really forcing out the most stereotypical bad guy voice they could think of. Maybe I'll play this one in Japanese.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

I spent all of Breath of the Wild eagerly anticipating the ending when I'd get to hear Ganondorf's voice, only to be disappointed.

Now it's here and, uhh, I'm not feeling it. Sounded really cringy, like someone really forcing out the most stereotypical bad guy voice they could think of. Maybe I'll play this one in Japanese.

Yeah, it kind of is. Gotta say though personally I felt the same when I first heard Zelda's voice in early BotW trailers. I've grown over it, but it's still a bit overly dramatic to me. I'm sure I'll get over it again.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

That was my first impression too. I'm going to play with my country's dubbing though, and that one I think sounds less bad (see below).

Tears of the Kingdom CE available for preorder at GameStop.

RolStoppable said:
mZuzek said:

????????????????

And if you mean sales... Yeah Wind Waker sold around half of Twilight Princess' numbers... on a userbase roughly 6 times smaller.

Of course I am talking about sales when I respond to a post that was talking about sales. The Wind Waker sold about half of what Ocarina of Time sold to a userbase that was only 1.5 times bigger, so you botched your attempt at bringing userbase into this. But the thing is that an IP like Zelda is supposed to sell the hardware itself, so the userbase argument doesn't make all too much sense to begin with. Remember how Switch was doomed because it had only one good launch game in Breath of the Wild? That didn't matter, because BotW was deemed to be so good that people bought the console for just that one game without having any regrets or the need to think twice about that. Ocarina of Time sold N64 hardware, but The Wind Waker fell flat because people were put off by the artstyle.

Now as for the Tears of the Kingdom trailer, it's not looking good for the sequel to Breath of the Wild. The trailer looked like an effort to hide things while being meant to sell tons of preorders before gamers catch on what's up and lose interest. When you compare this to Breath of the Wild where Nintendo was so proud of the game that they built their entire E3 booth around it, it's like night and day. It appears that Aonuma strikes again by creating a blend of the two latest Zeldas, just like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess got meshed together to result in Skyward Sword. Nintendo shows us the world of Breath of the Wild, but doesn't want us to show the new defining aspects of Tears of the Kingdom; it seems their sales department knows what's up, hence why we got the trailer we got.

Or you know, it's just another way to tease the playerbase before the obvious Direct showcase, TOTK will have. What would be the point of blowing everything now when they can simply hold it for a bit longer for a dedicated presentation. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909