By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23
DanneSandin said:
gatito said:
DanneSandin said:
gatito said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
gatito said:
I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS :)

How do you like it? How does it compare to the original?

Guess  I'm not the right person to answer that, I never played the original :P My best friend is a huge Zelda fan and he got me the 3DS version for Christmas.

It's a great game, there's no doubt about it.

But you haven't rated it yet?! :O

What do you mean? I just started playing it yesterday, but I'm loving it so far :)

ok ok^^ well, give us a rating when you're done :P

I will! It might take me a while though, I'm kinda slow when it comes long videogames.

Around the Network
gatito said:
DanneSandin said:
gatito said:
DanneSandin said:
gatito said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
gatito said:
I just recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS :)

How do you like it? How does it compare to the original?

Guess  I'm not the right person to answer that, I never played the original :P My best friend is a huge Zelda fan and he got me the 3DS version for Christmas.

It's a great game, there's no doubt about it.

But you haven't rated it yet?! :O

What do you mean? I just started playing it yesterday, but I'm loving it so far :)

ok ok^^ well, give us a rating when you're done :P

I will! It might take me a while though, I'm kinda slow when it comes long videogames.

Haha so am I!!! Still playing Xenoblade, which I started with last SUmmer :P

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

Thing is, although that may sound cool and everything to someone who's played all the Zelda's, I don't think it would sell all too well. Remember how MM and WW didn't sell so good because they didn't fall in line with the expectations people have on a Zelda game?

Yes I know, I just wouldn't like a situation where Nintendo feels it has to play it safe with Zelda. I'm not saying they already do that, but I'm not sure Majora's Mask would still get greenlighted today... 

As someone else pointed out already, MM also suffered from the second Zelda / late in cycle syndrome. Many games that appear at the end of a console's life perform relatively poorly, look at Mario Party 9 in contrast to MP8 (and 9 is said to be the much better game).

And WW probably suffered from the small install base of GC. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Nintendo EAD seems to have a rhythm going: one traditional Zelda, then one unorthodox Zelda. There are a few exceptions, but this seems to be a trend. I really like that strategy, because it keeps the formula fresh and it satisfies a large group of fans.

I don't know, I don't really feel like Nintendo is trying to make an "Ocarina-killer" every time out. With the possible exception of Skyward Sword. I think everyone knew what they were doing with SS: it was meant to reinvent the series. Whether it was successful in doing so is a debate for another time, but it definitely STRIVED for greatness.

Anyway, I think you are right. Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to experiment with Zelda.

Twilight Princess was probably the most ocarinakillery Zelda. Skyward Sword may not have been that unconventional in story, but gameplay was revolutionized, in my opinion. I would even go as far as to say that every single dungeon of SS beats all previous dungeons. o_O Well most. I'm not a dungeon guy, tbh, I positively dreaded entering dungeons in some Zelda games, and SS made them so much more enjoyable for me. Too bad that some important parts of SS didn't end up perfect - the sky, the slow opening sequenze, the flying, the lack of a coherent overworld. That turned off many people before they saw the brilliant parts of the game design (which FAR outweigh the flaws). 

All in all I'm confident that Zelda is in the right hands and on track. They hardly ever let me down (Spirit Tracks was the only misstep ever since they allowed Capcom to mess with a LTTP construction kit).

DanneSandin said:
(..)

What?! The stories continued after that game??? What happened to him???

(..)

I don't know.

He is personally mentioned in the prologue of the Wind Waker, several times during Twilight Princess and because of what is now said about it in Hyrule Historia, you could say it's implied in the prologue to ALttP that he died at some point before that (though ofcourse that was never written as such back then). Plus the ending to Majora's Mask doesn't exacly wrap things up.

So now there are explanations for the Wind Waker and A Link to the Past stories, but all the references to him in Twilight Princess don't. Some people believe the 'Hero's Shade', the ghost-character that teaches you new moves inside a dream world, is in fact the Hero of Time, mainly because he knows so much about that Link while most of his adventures didn't actually happen for the TP timeline due to timeline issues caused in OoT. Personally I don't think it is Link, but if it is, how? What happened there? It gets quite complicated because of the split timelines and stuff to figure out what happened prior to what game and what in TP could reference the OoT/MM Link though. Like the green tunic in TP, said to have belonged to a 'Legendary Hero', or the Hero's Bow, said by the Gorons to have belonged to one that helped them centuries ago.

Concerning Majora's Mask, the game starts with Link searching for 'a friend', of whom it can be assumed is Navi the fairy since she's abscent, while riding through a dark forest. At the end of the game however, Link is seen riding off through the same woods someplace else, presumably continueing his initial quest before he got interupted by the Skull Kid. This leaves a very open end.

Around the Network
Roma said:
I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

Play Ocarina of Time.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Roma said:
I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

Play Ocarina of Time.

are they that much alike? wouldn't know since I haven't played more than an hour or so of LTTP

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

OneTwoThree said:
DanneSandin said:

Thing is, although that may sound cool and everything to someone who's played all the Zelda's, I don't think it would sell all too well. Remember how MM and WW didn't sell so good because they didn't fall in line with the expectations people have on a Zelda game?

Yes I know, I just wouldn't like a situation where Nintendo feels it has to play it safe with Zelda. I'm not saying they already do that, but I'm not sure Majora's Mask would still get greenlighted today... 

As someone else pointed out already, MM also suffered from the second Zelda / late in cycle syndrome. Many games that appear at the end of a console's life perform relatively poorly, look at Mario Party 9 in contrast to MP8 (and 9 is said to be the much better game).

And WW probably suffered from the small install base of GC. 

Going by the latest ND, they're taking Zelda in a new direction, and one that excites me at that! They said they were going back to their roots and considering changing the linearity of the games. It all sounds as if they're trying to make a new LoZ where you didn't know where you were supposed to go. I'd love a change like that!!!

Yes, MM probably suffered from the Second Zelda Syndrome, and MM probably from the low install base; but I do think the art style held people off as well - I know it did for me and my brothers...

S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:
(..)

What?! The stories continued after that game??? What happened to him???

(..)

I don't know.

He is personally mentioned in the prologue of the Wind Waker, several times during Twilight Princess and because of what is now said about it in Hyrule Historia, you could say it's implied in the prologue to ALttP that he died at some point before that (though ofcourse that was never written as such back then). Plus the ending to Majora's Mask doesn't exacly wrap things up.

So now there are explanations for the Wind Waker and A Link to the Past stories, but all the references to him in Twilight Princess don't. Some people believe the 'Hero's Shade', the ghost-character that teaches you new moves inside a dream world, is in fact the Hero of Time, mainly because he knows so much about that Link while most of his adventures didn't actually happen for the TP timeline due to timeline issues caused in OoT. Personally I don't think it is Link, but if it is, how? What happened there? It gets quite complicated because of the split timelines and stuff to figure out what happened prior to what game and what in TP could reference the OoT/MM Link though. Like the green tunic in TP, said to have belonged to a 'Legendary Hero', or the Hero's Bow, said by the Gorons to have belonged to one that helped them centuries ago.

Concerning Majora's Mask, the game starts with Link searching for 'a friend', of whom it can be assumed is Navi the fairy since she's abscent, while riding through a dark forest. At the end of the game however, Link is seen riding off through the same woods someplace else, presumably continueing his initial quest before he got interupted by the Skull Kid. This leaves a very open end.

Aaaah, I was hoping for little more details than that =D Personally, I do think that Ghost is a former incarnation of Link, and that's what I will keep on believing ^^

so the next Zelda for WiiU will ditch the linearity of the previous games and go back to basics of the first Zelda which is good but how will the story work if you get to chose witch dungeon you can beat first? I haven't played the first Zeldas so I don't know how the story was told in those games.

anywho doesn't this sound like the rumor we got about Zelda for WiiU last year? coincidence?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(