Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 17.41 Million on Switch, Link’s Awakening Sells 4.38 Million

Which would you rather see?

3D Zeldas get the 2D treatment 7 17.95%

2D Zeldas get the 3D treatment 19 48.72%

Neither 13 33.33%

Total:39
IcaroRibeiro said:
Does anyone have a sales breakdown for each quarter for BOTW since its release?

VGC has trouble to carry over the full formating of spreadsheets, but you can view sales progress of BotW and many other games in my spreadsheet if you click here.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
Mind blowing how much Zelda became a HUGE franchise now. I think if the Mario movie does well, Zelda is clearly next.
Link's awakening will reach 5+ millions lifetime for sure. So i think it is pretty safe to say the BOTW sequel will surpass 10 millions.

I would trade a kidney for a good Zelda movie.

psychicscubadiver said:
xMetroid said:
Mind blowing how much Zelda became a HUGE franchise now. I think if the Mario movie does well, Zelda is clearly next.
Link's awakening will reach 5+ millions lifetime for sure. So i think it is pretty safe to say the BOTW sequel will surpass 10 millions.

I would trade mine just to see Studio Ghibli in charge of it.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

That'd be cool, but I'd also be interested in a live action Zelda movie. Who would play Link? Would he be adult or child? I'm more interested in seeing how a Zelda movie would turn out; I don't have high expectations given the high percentage of videogame movie adaptations that have gone horribly wrong.

I'm not a big movie guy myself, but I'm so into gaming that I'll watch movies based on games. My favorite that I can think of is the first Resident Evil movie. I actually can't think of anything else really that I liked a lot, but I'm probably drawing a blank. The recent Pokemon movie with the talking Pikachu I liked. I went with my daughter and had a lot of fun. Doom didn't turn out well to my liking. I tried watching Silent Hill but never got compelled enough to keep watching.

Zelda, though. So much potential to epic but at the same time there are so many ways to screw it up.

RaptorChrist said:
Mar1217 said:

That'd be cool, but I'd also be interested in a live action Zelda movie. Who would play Link? Would he be adult or child? I'm more interested in seeing how a Zelda movie would turn out; I don't have high expectations given the high percentage of videogame movie adaptations that have gone horribly wrong.

I'm not a big movie guy myself, but I'm so into gaming that I'll watch movies based on games. My favorite that I can think of is the first Resident Evil movie. I actually can't think of anything else really that I liked a lot, but I'm probably drawing a blank. The recent Pokemon movie with the talking Pikachu I liked. I went with my daughter and had a lot of fun. Doom didn't turn out well to my liking. I tried watching Silent Hill but never got compelled enough to keep watching.

Zelda, though. So much potential to epic but at the same time there are so many ways to screw it up.

This is exactly why I want the first movie to at least be animated instead of live action. Too much at stake that I don't believe anyone can pull off a satisfying live action movie out of this franchise. Animeation would suit it better.

Around the Network

Not sure if anyone has done this yet, but if you add up all the shipment+digital sales for Breath of the Wild in Japan for each fiscal year, it comes out like this:
FY 03/2017 - .51 million (.39 on NSW; .12 on Wii U)
FY 03/2018 - .70 million
FY 03/2019 - .47 million
FY 03/2020 - .45 million.

That all adds up to 2.13 million. (2.01 million on Switch alone). This makes Breath of the Wild the first Zelda game of all time to pass 2 million units in Japan.

Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387

Mar1217 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

If you and about 1000 others are willing to get their kidneys onto the black market and pool the money, that can be made to happen.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Mar1217 said:

If you and about 1000 others are willing to get their kidneys onto the black market and pool the money, that can be made to happen.

How about doing some dark magic instead, I'll invoke the devil so he can make my wish come true in exchange of my hollow soul !

If momentum has remained consistent in pushing titles BOTW may at this point be at 20m total given the total was 19m at the end of March, also note that on NS alone it has outsold the prior 3 mainline installments (ALBW, SS, TP) combined, their total together also including the GC version of TP is 17m.

These numbers are just outstanding. And I would rather see Nintendo focus it's efforts on mainline Zelda games at this point. I don't have the biggest interest in remakes (although a Majora's Mask HD would probably be a day-one purchase.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4