By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23

Skyward Sword's Earth Temple inspired dungeon in BotW running on CEMU:

Around the Network

That’s nicely done. I think we’ll see some more traditional dungeons again in the next game.

S.Peelman said:
That’s nicely done. I think we’ll see some more traditional dungeons again in the next game.

Hopefully, I think that's probably no.1 complain about BotW. Personally, my list could go on for pages, but traditional dungeons would be great start for fixing BotW's flaws.

With the updated shipping numbers for the end the June the 2m we know for the WiiU version and the 13.6m puts BOTW at 15.6m total, 17m is looking very possible by the end of this year as no doubt by the end of September it would have crossed the 16m mark with the question now being could the game hit 20m and could it do it before the sequel? Right now the game seems to be hitting around 800k-1m a quarter which at that rate it if kept up could lead to the series first 20m seller.

Mar1217 said:

2 years ago, people would have been floored if they knew this kind of number was possible for the series !

I feel this is due to people at the time not fully realizing what BOTW was and simply saw it as just a much bigger Zelda game when it's both a return to the original LOZ template but at the same time it's an evolution of it only now with sandbox elements and full freedom. The original game inspired the likes of GTA so it would figure BOTW returning to that template would share similarities with games like recent GTAs and RDR, many players don't even fully finish those games they just boot them up to play around in them and that's the advantage of sandbox mechanics, prior Zelda games needed you to progress through the game significantly to open things up the freedom in BOTW just gives you that from the start and then after the Plateau it's do as you please this opened up the game to many non Zelda fans as now going through dungeons and such was no longer required.

The things you can do in BOTW are what attracts players, I read on one forum someone detailed how they were in a battle in a thunder storm and froze one enemy in the middle of a group with an ice arrow then threw their weapon at the frozen enemy to have them struck by lightning and the interaction of electric and water caused a massive aoe attack killing all the enemies now factor in this was a random on the fly moment that was scripted in game its just something you can do. When people see or read about things like that they want to test the level of craziness out for themselves.

Around the Network

Not to nitpick, but GTA was "basically Elite in a city" (as per GTA's creative director), influenced by Syndicate and Mercenary as well.
GTA III was influenced by Zelda and SM64.

Mar1217 said:
Wyrdness said:
With the updated shipping numbers for the end the June the 2m we know for the WiiU version and the 13.6m puts BOTW at 15.6m total, 17m is looking very possible by the end of this year as no doubt by the end of September it would have crossed the 16m mark with the question now being could the game hit 20m and could it do it before the sequel? Right now the game seems to be hitting around 800k-1m a quarter which at that rate it if kept up could lead to the series first 20m seller.

2 years ago, people would have been floored if they knew this kind of number was possible for the series !

It's pretty crazy. Zelda has always been a critical darling and a fan-favorite, but this level of enthusiasm is something new and exciting. 

Seems like the appeal of Switch is giving almost every Nintendo series a shot in the arm.

Check out this game coming to PC and PS4. Seems like a good match for Zelda fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1WmmsEXtyE

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Check out this game coming to PC and PS4. Seems like a good match for Zelda fans.

Not this being almost a carbon copy of BOTW (but with sexualized anime girls), I-

Keybladewielder said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Not this being almost a carbon copy of BOTW (but with sexualized anime girls), I-

Definitely a clone (or 'heavily inspired' to be polite), but the combat does seem significantly different with the magic and AoE effects.