Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 17.41 Million on Switch, Link’s Awakening Sells 4.38 Million

Which would you rather see?

3D Zeldas get the 2D treatment 7 17.50%

2D Zeldas get the 3D treatment 19 47.50%

Neither 14 35.00%

Total:40
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm sorry, but "The fact you tried quoting only part of one line to skewer context says more about you than anything." is a pretty clear indication of a judgement of character, that's literally what it is, you're not going to change that just by saying it's a "for future reference thing". In my opinion, you should have thought that one out a little bit more, first thinking about whether it was just to shorten a quote, and second thinking about if it was just an accident, because your solution was uncalled for. There's no other way you can really read that, especially with the "skewer context" part, which implies that I was purposefully trying to change your quote to fit my argument. If it was just you mentioning "hey, be careful not to misquote" that would be one thing, that's not all you said. 

I really can't believe two such trivial words that no one would have cared about lead to this. It seems to me you've been pretty hostile since the beginning honestly ... like since as early as the 2nd reply. Not much to really say here, we'll just leave it at that. Good day. 

Here is the problem here you're going back to a post to argue something that has already been settled as the posts after it clarified I misread your post due to you not putting the full quote in, you responded with an upset post using a partial quote which can easily look like misquoting. I explained already why I called you out on it as it looked like you were misquoting and yes leaving words out does change context so it is called for when someone does it as it's a common tactic by people to misquote someone to discredit their views it happens on these boards all the time even news articles do it for clicks how can you want to debate and not understand that? If you still don't get it then we clearly aren't geared for debating with each other and I ask simply don't reply to me as we have different takes on things and debating is clearly one of them as trust me I don't hide when I'm hostile never have as I'm direct.

Anything further PM me as the thread is being derailed.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 19 November 2018

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Saying one game is better than another is not a double standard. A double standard is refusing to apply the same rules of criticism to two separate things based solely on bias. 

Saying Wind Waker is bad is wrong because Wind Waker is amazing. 

Saying Skyward Sword is bad is a reasonable thing to say because that game is a broken tech demo for babies. 

One of these games are good and has already gone down as a timeless classic (Wind Waker), and the other has been mostly forgotten to time with video essays describing where it went wrong all over the place. Wind Waker got better review scores and sold better, Wind Waker has timeless art direction and animation, and isn't plagued with horribly sad and pathetic, broken motion controls. 

So you can dislike Wind Waker for its art style or whatever all you want. That doesn't make it a bad game. Me hating Skyward Sword for having core gameplay mechanics that are fundamentally broken and conveyance so detailed and spelled out for you that babies can play it is an actual critique of the game's quality. One is a bad game, the other is a game that has something you don't like. So no, it's not a double standard at all when the critiques for one are subjective and the critiques for the other are objective. 

I just want to say thank you, and congratulations. I am truly impressed.

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

Saying one game is better than another is not a double standard. A double standard is refusing to apply the same rules of criticism to two separate things based solely on bias. 

Saying Wind Waker is bad is wrong because Wind Waker is amazing. 

Saying Skyward Sword is bad is a reasonable thing to say because that game is a broken tech demo for babies. 

One of these games are good and has already gone down as a timeless classic (Wind Waker), and the other has been mostly forgotten to time with video essays describing where it went wrong all over the place. Wind Waker got better review scores and sold better, Wind Waker has timeless art direction and animation, and isn't plagued with horribly sad and pathetic, broken motion controls. 

So you can dislike Wind Waker for its art style or whatever all you want. That doesn't make it a bad game. Me hating Skyward Sword for having core gameplay mechanics that are fundamentally broken and conveyance so detailed and spelled out for you that babies can play it is an actual critique of the game's quality. One is a bad game, the other is a game that has something you don't like. So no, it's not a double standard at all when the critiques for one are subjective and the critiques for the other are objective. 

I just want to say thank you, and congratulations. I am truly impressed.

You cannot deny that it is an objective critique to say that a game was made for babies and at the same time claim that the same game was too hard to play because the controls couldn't be understood.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Ok is it just me that thinks Nintendo needs to make all the costumes and especially Epona available for people who don't have the Amiibos. I really want the costumes and Epona but the amiibos are too expensive or hard to find

Baddman said:
Ok is it just me that thinks Nintendo needs to make all the costumes and especially Epona available for people who don't have the Amiibos. I really want the costumes and Epona but the amiibos are too expensive or hard to find

I agree. Even though I enjoy collecting amiibo (I'm not even a big collector, I only have 7), having to buy one just so I could have the green tunic from the start of the game kind of sucked.

Edit: At least Nintendo learned with Odyssey, so hopefully the next Zelda won't lock costumes exclusively behind amiibo again.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
Baddman said:

I agree. Even though I enjoy collecting amiibo (I'm not even a big collector, I only have 7), having to buy one just so I could have the green tunic from the start of the game kind of sucked.

Edit: At least Nintendo learned with Odyssey, so hopefully the next Zelda won't lock costumes exclusively behind amiibo again.

I think it's due to BOTW originally being only a Wii U game as that platform wasn't the best at accommodating dlc with its storage options plus amiibos were the main money maker after the 3DS through out that period where as Switch has better options so the games built for the latter make better use of DLC as an option as seen in SMO.

I'm pretty sure the next Zelda game is going to make use of DLC in a samilar way as SMO, I actually surprised they never released the amiibo content as paid dlc.

Vini256 said:
Baddman said:

What's wrong with locking optional aesthetics behind amiibo? They aren't the best armor in the game (in fact they're some of the worst armor in the game considering their stats and lack of bonuses for the most part), and they're purely aesthetic choices. The game is still a complete and fulfilling experience out of the box and the Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword armor sets are there purely for nostalgia. Complaining about that is just silly, when you think about it. 

IT's called supply and demand. They created a demand and a supply. If you care enough you'll buy the amiibo. That's like business 101. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Runa216 said:

What's wrong with locking optional aesthetics behind amiibo? They aren't the best armor in the game (in fact they're some of the worst armor in the game considering their stats and lack of bonuses for the most part), and they're purely aesthetic choices. The game is still a complete and fulfilling experience out of the box and the Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword armor sets are there purely for nostalgia. Complaining about that is just silly, when you think about it. 

IT's called supply and demand. They created a demand and a supply. If you care enough you'll buy the amiibo. That's like business 101. 

There's nothing wrong with it, but it comes off as anti-consumer, especially since Odyssey came out in the same year with the same way of unlocking costumes, but as an optional feature so you could get the costumes earlier in the game if you wanted them that badly.

It also feels wrong because it's like locking the default Mario costume to a toy. I know that in BotW's case they intentionally wanted to make Link blue, but it still felt wrong to me. At least since it's amiibo I still got a nice OoT Link figure in my shelf along with the costume, otherwise (If it was straight-up DLC) I wouldn't have bought it.

Vini256 said:
Runa216 said:

There's nothing wrong with it, but it comes off as anti-consumer, especially since Odyssey came out in the same year with the same way of unlocking costumes, but as an optional feature so you could get the costumes earlier in the game if you wanted them that badly.

It also feels wrong because it's like locking the default Mario costume to a toy. I know that in BotW's case they intentionally wanted to make Link blue, but it still felt wrong to me. At least since it's amiibo I still got a nice OoT Link figure in my shelf along with the costume, otherwise (If it was straight-up DLC) I wouldn't have bought it.

Since when is 'expecting you to pay for bonus content' anti-consumer? 

Why are gamers so entitled? Why is it that gamers expect that everything on top of the base game is free or that they're entitled to get all the bonus content without paying? You don't go to a steakhouse and demand that your fries gets upsold to a poutine at no extra charge, do you? You don't go to a movie theater and expect a free drink just because you bought popcorn and a movie ticket, do you? 

Paying some money for some content doesn't entitle you to all the content for the same price. If a developer does give you free shit (nintendo with splatoon, CD Projekt Red with The Witcher 3), that should be something you appreciate as a nice bonus, not the default. 

If you want the bonuses that are amiibo exclusive, pay for the damn amiibo. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Runa216 said:

Since when is 'expecting you to pay for bonus content' anti-consumer? 

Why are gamers so entitled? Why is it that gamers expect that everything on top of the base game is free or that they're entitled to get all the bonus content without paying? You don't go to a steakhouse and demand that your fries gets upsold to a poutine at no extra charge, do you? You don't go to a movie theater and expect a free drink just because you bought popcorn and a movie ticket, do you? 

Paying some money for some content doesn't entitle you to all the content for the same price. If a developer does give you free shit (nintendo with splatoon, CD Projekt Red with The Witcher 3), that should be something you appreciate as a nice bonus, not the default. 

If you want the bonuses that are amiibo exclusive, pay for the damn amiibo. 

When the "bonus content" is already included in the game and you are simply locked out of it until you pay for it, yes I can say it's anti-consumer. It's just as bad as hiding DLC inside game updates (Why are you making me waste storage space with something I didn't buy?). Do you also think it's okay to lock the hard-mode in Metroid Samus Returns behind an amiibo figure? A feature that is standard in almost every game out there?

@bold no idea why you're saying that to me since I very clearly bought one, but okay. Don't really want to keep this discussion going.