By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony ‘Employee’ Review: ‘I Don’t Have A Lot Of Confidence That Orbis Will Sell Well’

JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Argh_College said:
Everyone with a brain already knows Sony is in its Death Spiral.

3D is a Fiasco that nobody cares anymore, even movies in 3D are in decline at Cinemas.

Move is a major Flop, Software sales for it are absolutely BAD.

Vita - The biggest Flop in gaming history, no 3rd party support, 1st party is a joke, the Console looks like Psp with updated Graphics, no major gameplay changes, nothing.

Obris will Follow, it will be a major fail since nobody cares about PlayStation Brand anymore, people are buying Ps3 because their Friends have it, once Ps4 cames around nobody will have it or want it.

it will be a Microsoft/Nintendo Battle, Microsoft Services will once again crush Competition and Nintendo ability to make money and SW exclusives that Move milions of hardware will continue will Orbis will be in a dead last place.

Microsoft will make sure they buy all the exclusives they need at first, moneyhat 3rd parties.

Sony is absolutely doomed and im not joking.

While 3d might not have taken off, it didn't hurt anything having it for people that can use it, and I'll tell you it's fantastic in games like R3 and GT5.

Move sold 15 million units and counting. Hardly a flop.

It would help if you knew what your talking about, In fact vita is the only handheld that brought innovation this gen. 3 and 1st party support is stacked from her on out for next year.

Millions of people still care about the Playstation brand, thanks for speaking for everyone. All those gamers that got a p3 this holiday season and it was the console to show the least amount of decline this year, while remain number one for the entire year, not just Christmas.

MS id done money hating 3rd parties, look at all the money hatting they did this gen. And it still didn't help them. 600 dollar ps3 is the only reason they had a chance and being on a level playing field next gen is going to cost MS a lot of ground, they need exclusive. Exclusive DLC isn't going to cut it and neater is paying to play online. Those days are done.

Sony is no where near doomed, get over your hate.

Both of you guys are wrong and bias so don't come in here like you know more than him because both of you are wrong.

Really? Want to explain instead of just pointing fingers? You seem to be mad.

Around the Network

Me too, forget about casual bullshit, I hate move, kinect, handheld consoles and smartphone-tablet games, Keyboard + mouse and joystick forever, I want Sony to focus purely on core games.

The more interesting thing, to me, is that a lot of people are "agreeing" with what he said despite the fact that he said two completely contradictory things.

"I don't have a lot of confidence that Orbis will sell well as I don't see it selling to the casual audience," and, "stop investing in low margin areas where you can't compete, like casual games. Focus on the core gamer." So, yeah. Clearly the guy knows what he's talking about.

pokoko said:
The more interesting thing, to me, is that a lot of people are "agreeing" with what he said despite the fact that he said two completely contradictory things.

"I don't have a lot of confidence that Orbis will sell well as I don't see it selling to the casual audience," and, "stop investing in low margin areas where you can't compete, like casual games. Focus on the core gamer." So, yeah. Clearly the guy knows what he's talking about.

I'm not so sure they're contradictory as much as they represent how poorly "casual" is typically defined ...

Games designed for mobile phones, or (some of) the downloadable content for consoles, generally have very small margins and it is difficult for a large company to see a substantial benefit from investing in them. Many third party publishers are bleeding money on their ios/android projects even though they're inexpensive to develop because the small revenue per sale means they need hundreds of thousands or millions of paying customers to break even. For some companies this is still worthwhile because you can use smaller projects to create new teams and (potentially) new IPs; but it is not always the best case for them.

At the same time, games like Just Dance are cheap compared to most other console games, sell at the same price, and see similar sales level to most other console games; and many publishers have seen huge profits from these kinds of titles. I don't have any solid numbers for Just Dance but I suspect it was low budget by Wii standards (probably 25% to 50% of a typical Wii game), Wii games are far cheaper to produce than most HD console games (typically 25% to 50% of HD console games), and it was a multi-million selling title; and I wouldn't be surprised if the 30+ million sales for the Just Dance series was more profitable than any other Ubisoft series in the last generation.

In Sony's current financial shape it would make sense to invest in 8 to 12 "Just Dance" kind of games and cut back on 2 to 3 big budget games because they would probably bring in far more profit overall; certainly, many of the "casual" titles would flop but it is more likely that 2 out of 3 big budget games would flop than 8 of 12 casual games.

pokoko said:

I think you're misunderstanding him. He is saying it won't sell to the casual audience, so don't try to. I don't think he's saying it needs to be able to sell to the casual audience in the first quote.

Around the Network

Is this actually news? Does anyone really think this is a former sony employee? If so I have a bridge to sell ya

Mmmfishtacos said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Argh_College said:
Everyone with a brain already knows Sony is in its Death Spiral.

3D is a Fiasco that nobody cares anymore, even movies in 3D are in decline at Cinemas.

Move is a major Flop, Software sales for it are absolutely BAD.

Vita - The biggest Flop in gaming history, no 3rd party support, 1st party is a joke, the Console looks like Psp with updated Graphics, no major gameplay changes, nothing.

Obris will Follow, it will be a major fail since nobody cares about PlayStation Brand anymore, people are buying Ps3 because their Friends have it, once Ps4 cames around nobody will have it or want it.

it will be a Microsoft/Nintendo Battle, Microsoft Services will once again crush Competition and Nintendo ability to make money and SW exclusives that Move milions of hardware will continue will Orbis will be in a dead last place.

Microsoft will make sure they buy all the exclusives they need at first, moneyhat 3rd parties.

Sony is absolutely doomed and im not joking.

While 3d might not have taken off, it didn't hurt anything having it for people that can use it, and I'll tell you it's fantastic in games like R3 and GT5.

Move sold 15 million units and counting. Hardly a flop.

It would help if you knew what your talking about, In fact vita is the only handheld that brought innovation this gen. 3 and 1st party support is stacked from her on out for next year.

Millions of people still care about the Playstation brand, thanks for speaking for everyone. All those gamers that got a p3 this holiday season and it was the console to show the least amount of decline this year, while remain number one for the entire year, not just Christmas.

MS id done money hating 3rd parties, look at all the money hatting they did this gen. And it still didn't help them. 600 dollar ps3 is the only reason they had a chance and being on a level playing field next gen is going to cost MS a lot of ground, they need exclusive. Exclusive DLC isn't going to cut it and neater is paying to play online. Those days are done.

Sony is no where near doomed, get over your hate.

Both of you guys are wrong and bias so don't come in here like you know more than him because both of you are wrong.

Really? Want to explain instead of just pointing fingers? You seem to be mad.

the bolded part is where you are wrong.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

PC is currently my main platform, I use a PS3 just for exclusives. If next gen consoles focuses on cheap old technology plus casual bullshit, light years behind what I'm used to playing on PC, I will give up playing consoles permanently.

The grandfather of video games already claimed that if "they" do not come up with something "innovative," they wont be performing well.

I vouch for that and I have money to put on it. That's a credible source.

Player2 said:
Galaki said:
fighter said:
orbis sucks confirmed

If it doubles as a vacuum, I am buying one.

Smart Sony, everybody with a Wii U will want one...

This is one of the funniest posts I've read in a while. Wii U = collects dust. PS4 = vacuums up the dust.

I hope I wasn't the only one who got this. =)