By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation All-Stars Is No Super Smash Bros. Brawl, It’s Better

Flanneryaug said:

I think you should put Opinion: in the title of your thread. Most people, including critics, disagree.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the note at the top of the article.

Lol. Critics....their opinions are worthless.

Around the Network

Why must you discuss Smash Bros to priase All-Stars?

Nintendo doesn't care? Really? Stop being such a drama queen.

itsyounghavok said:
the magic of Smash imo is if you want to just have fun with it you can, no need to learn a ton of combos or strategies, you can just pick up and play and have a blast! You can customize the hell out of the game and do so much with it. At the same time, if you want to go at it like a street fighter with combos and strategies and such, it gets pretty damn deep. Its all on how you want to do it and its enjoyable regardless. My friends and I play Brawl hardcore and can say that there is nothing shallow about this game. Yeah it has a kiddy pool, but it also has a diving board at the far end where far deeper waters await.

Im not sure how PSAS is as Ive only read about it so far, does it include the same level of customization as Brawl? Is it as pick up and play?

It is pick up and play friendly. I think the single player does a good job of introducing and familiarizing with the characters and gameplay. I think where the game shines is in the local multiplayer (same as Melee and Brawl).

I think the online of this type of game is fairly worthless and boring.

I was pleasantly surprised by the beta, I honestly wasn't expecting much when I downloaded it, I can't wait to get the full game. I like Brawl, but I think I actually prefer All Stars, just because of how hectic it is.

Runa216 said:
Playstation All-Stars is good, Great even. It is NOT as good as Super smash Brothers. not nearly as much content, not as much depth, not balanced as well, not as many characters or stages or customization options. Yeah, the combo system is really good, and the moves are varied and the gameplay is solid, but it's got a ways to go before it's as good as smash.

I figure a sequel could rival Brawl, but as it stands, I wouldn't even say All-Stars is as good as Melee. Very solid first effort, and Superbot will definitely learn a lot from this game and what player feedback they get, but as it stands it's not as good. It's different and still awesome, as I said in my review, but it is not as good.

http://www.gamrreview.com/review/89513/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-review

I actually really liked that review. Didn't realize that was you.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:
Playstation All-Stars is good, Great even. It is NOT as good as Super smash Brothers. not nearly as much content, not as much depth, not balanced as well, not as many characters or stages or customization options. Yeah, the combo system is really good, and the moves are varied and the gameplay is solid, but it's got a ways to go before it's as good as smash.

I figure a sequel could rival Brawl, but as it stands, I wouldn't even say All-Stars is as good as Melee. Very solid first effort, and Superbot will definitely learn a lot from this game and what player feedback they get, but as it stands it's not as good. It's different and still awesome, as I said in my review, but it is not as good.

http://www.gamrreview.com/review/89513/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-review

I actually really liked that review. Didn't realize that was you.

See?  I'm capable of spewing things of value from time to time. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

pezus said:
cunger said:

I don't play Smash Brothers for deep tactical fighting mechanics. If that's my main concern there are many better fighters than PS Allstars out there. 

I want to refer you to point 8 in this thread right here

Dude! I was about to do the same thing!

It's just like toast.

People eat it, but it's not worth talking about.

fillet said:
It's just like toast.

People eat it, but it's not worth talking about.

If that's truly how you feel, then what the hell are you doing on a videogame forum dedicated to talking about videogames? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

cunger said:

I find it funny that people just don't get Smash.  What makes it great is that it's a different style of fighter than the traditional deep tactile fighters which are not in short supply. Make a game that looks like Smash but plays like a traditional fighter doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd rather just play Street Fighter IV right now and wait for the next Smash.

Most people already have the Smash Bros games.  Is it wrong to want to play another game once in awhile?  That's like telling people not to get the next Virtua Fighter because they have Dead or Alive, or not to get Mortal Kombat because they have Street Fighter.

Playstation All Stars is a mixture of both the Smash games and your traditional fighter.  It's more combo oriented like your traditional fighter, but a lot easier to set these combos up than your traditional fighter.  Instead of having to combo cancel with an unbreakable, foward dash to break out of it, and then use an attack, special attack, and one of your super attacks(using Street Fighter 4 as an example,) pulling full combos off are as easy as just pressing the direction and the button for the attack on Playstation All Stars. 

I'm not a pro at fighting games, but I consider myself pretty good.  I'm more of a common sense type of fighter.  I know how to play well and know what to do, but I can't pull off any long combos outside of training.  In training when I'm not under pressure, I could do the Street Fighter 4 hard combo trials all day long, but online, not at all.  The way Playstation All Stars does it makes it simple.  So I can pull off 100+ AP bursts all day long regardless if I'm fighting someone in combat or not.  I know a few AP bursts for Parappa, Dante, Sackboy, and Toro.

When it comes to unlockables, Playstation All Stars copies Call of Duty's card like system where you choose an background, icon, and title.  You're unable to create your own cards, but each character gives you up to five backgrounds to place, and a number of different icons from that characters game.  Get above a certain level with certain characaters and you'll unlock icons from games with non playable characters.  You can also unlock minions, super deformed, sometimes pedo looking versions of your favorite characters who will cheer when you kill all opponents with a single special.  After getting level 300 with a character, you'll have unlocked everything that character has to unlock.  Playing further with the character will just get you closer to maxing the character out to 999.  You unlock titles by getting up to a certain belt in ranking on both free for all and team ranked matches.  You have two weeks to get up to a black belt and then the leaderboards are cleared and start again.  You might need to get eight black belts in FFA to unlock all the FFA titles and eight black belts in team to unlock all the team titles.  I don't have the game on right now.  But I think there are over 500 titles.  There are also character specific unlockables like different taunts, different introductions into battle(intros,) different victory something(outros,) different victory music, and different taunts that you get as well.  There are only three or four of each per character, but it's a variety rather than seeing the same entrance for every player that picks the same character.

Aside from rage quitters, which I've had seven in a row during FFA one time which is 21 belt points that I didn't gain, the only problem the game has is there is a clear tier list.  Sackboy is in a tier of his own.  Then there's Kratos, Sly, Evil Cole, Raiden, Drake, and maybe Parappa(he takes a bit more skill to use than the other characters since he's such a close range character, but he's an amazing character.)  Then there's everyone else.  Aside from Parappa, my favorite characters to use are Sir Dan and Toro.  I'm great with both of these characters, but they have no comobos that hit confirm 100% into a level one and both their level two and level  threes are crap in comparison to other characters that have better either level twos or level threes.  Sir Dan has a level two that shoots out a few homing beams that follow the enemies slowly, just lead it into a corner and roll out or evade for it to hit the corner, but sometimes they'll all go after one person instead of going after seperate people.  Toro's level two has a somewhat decent sized star that lands in front of him, but it's extremely easy to dodge, even if you didn't know it was coming(although you can get atleast one person in it as long as you get them in the middle of his Virtua Fighter stance AP burst, and then use it before finishing it.)  These characters are still as good as the person who uses them(on FFA I did everything else with Parappa, but went from 78 Brown Belt to Black Belt with Toro,) but it'd be nice if there were a few tweaks to them to make their attacks a bit better.  Maybe add more homing on Sir Dan's level two beam and add slightly more time before the enemy recovers from his upward slice or arrow so you can have a 100% hit confirm on his level one.  With Toro.  His star should have a bigger blast and go off faster. 

I don't think they should alter the AP that the top characters acquire as they'd lose their AP bursts, but Sackboy for example should have the time of his level three decreased to 3/4, and increase the amount of AP required to get to his level one by around 50-100, and then his level three atleast by another 100.  It's not at all difficult for Sackboy to pull off two level threes in a single match, and when you're leaving a cake sitting around and luring people into your electric trap in order to do a AP burst or just sitting back there spamming with balls, it's a bit difficult for anyone to grab you and drain your AP when you're at your level two.  They're pretty much coming over just to give you that much more AP.  You might not think it, but he's a great 1v1, 2v2, and free for all character.

I put a lot of time into the beta, and I've put 50+ hours into the full game so far.  It may or may not be better than Super Smash Bros.  It's opinion.  But there's no denying it's a great game if you've actually spent a little bit of time with it.  So to me, both are great games, but I personally think Playstation All Stars is the better game because it has a better fighting system and the characters are all very different from one another in how they play.