By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo You Say You Want Isn’t the Nintendo You Love

Nintendo has kind of lost me. I'm pretty much over platformers, for the most part. I played so many platformers as a kid that the genre no longer interests me. I don't care about motion controls, either. I don't care that much about graphics, but great game-play experiences are not exclusive to games with poor visual quality. I do enjoy a lot of story- and character-driven games, which Nintendo does not typically bother with. Characters without depth, like Mario, mean nothing to me one way or another.

Personally, I'm not demanding anything from Nintendo. They can go in any direction they please. My tastes have changed as I've gotten older, so it's up to me to find the gaming experience that best matches those tastes. The Wii was not it. The Wii U? We'll see.

What kind of bothers me when reading a post like that, is that it feels as though people are trying to tell me what defines "fun". Fun is subjective. If Nintendo is going to win me back, then it's going to be with Metroid or Zelda, not Mario, or Kirby, or Donkey Kong. The only time I felt moved to buy a Wii was when the Project Rainfall games were released in the US, but the Wii was mostly dead by then.

The attitude that there is something wrong with you if you don't care that much for most Nintendo first party games bugs me. I've been there, the first two systems I bought with my own money were Nintendo. Now my idea of entertainment is different and there is nothing wrong with that--or rather, I guess I should say that the arena has expanded considerably; my tastes haven't really changed, it's just that there is a lot more out there beyond Mario, which I never liked that much, anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily change Nintendo if I could, if people want Mario over and over then that's fine. However, if I could change them, it wouldn't be to get rid of all their platformers, but add some variety in their first party offerings. For me, personally, what puts Sony in front is Sony Worldwide Studios, and how their offerings are so varied. I just don't see that from Nintendo. If Nintendo wants my attention, then they'll look into a few more IPs and games like Zelda and Metroid rather than more Mario spin-offs. If not, then that's fine, too. We'll just go our separate ways.

Around the Network

Right. In the end I just want my Star Fox, F-Zero, DK and other great games. And the classic games too( Mario,Zelda,Metroid, etc). This is what really matters.

We need moar Zelda, now!

We need moar Unchartedzz!

We need less DLCs.

I know this very much. 

It's like seeing a child grown.  The little darling that was to aspire to greater things.  As a young child, they were so cute, so darling, the apple of mother's eye(Us).  They couldn't do no wrong. 

Then they grew to adolescence.  They were cruel, they didn't play well with other kids(publising companies that had to by their cartridge from Nintendo just to sell it).  And for that they paid the price for being so immature(Sony takes lead in sales).

Then that awkward phase, puberty.  Part of puberty was fitting in.  Conformist.  Our little darling has grown his hair and I can't tell which one he is(Gamecube=Xbox=PS2).  Rolling along with the big boys, too bad our dearest wasn't so big, or else he could have put up a better fight at the big game(the big game being Sales).

Then, our lovely graduated highschool(Gamecube and traditional gaming).  It seemed as if they have learned and grew to be a fine young man(business model).  They looked at their options for school, and they chose their route(Wii vs going along with Microsoft and Sony with their HD).  Our child met new friends and started to act a new way(casual crowd).  We wanted him to visit and he did, but more and more we knew his priority was somewhere else(core vs casual).  And our child was no longer our child, he was the worlds now.

He is about to graduate to an unforseeable future.  He's more willing to visit now, but we all know it's not like the same child we cherished so much. 

But the future is before him once again.  As he looks to his past and towards his future, he is armed with the tools to succeed in a world harsh and uncaring.  Only time can tell whether he fails or not. 

Only one thing is certain.  We will always love our child.